PDA

View Full Version : acetyl dxm part2

toxide
21-05-2007, 00:28
Hopefully this wont get closed, kinda pissed about that, anyway...
I'm not sure I understand why it can't be acetylated. Codiene can be acetylated it's just that morphine is the active metabolite so like tramadol, it makes no sense to acetylated and i guess diacetylcodiene is slightly toxic or sumthing.
d-methorphan is pretty damn active b4 it becomes DXO. even tho codone converts to morphone there's still hydrocodone. Looking at the chemical names of DXM and codiene they seem almost the same with a few minor exceptions altho i don't see any extra hydroxy positions or anyhting, perhaps i'm missing sumthing, maybe someone could help me understand this

Swerlz
21-05-2007, 00:33
didnt you read why the last time this was asked?

There are no free OH groups to acetylate in DXM, so it's not a feasable idea

vecktor
21-05-2007, 02:08
look at the chemical structure, ie the pictures.

codeine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeine

codeine has one free hydroxyl -OH group, the other is a methoxy. codiene can be acetylated the OH group is converted into the -OAcetyl. to give MONO ACETYL CODEINE the methoxy cannot be acetylated. It can be converted into a hydroxy group but this changes CODEINE into MORPHINE, ie it is NOT CODEINE ANYMORE
so because codeine only has one hydroxyl group....
DIACETYL CODEINE DOES NOT EXIST AND IT CANNOT EXIST

so basically you cannot acetylate a methoxy group.

DXM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dxm

DXM only has a methoxy group, Therefore you CAN'T O ACETYLATE DXM. The methoxy group in DXM can be converted into a Hydroxy, if you do that IT IS NOT DXM ANYMORE, it is a substance called DXO or DX also known as dextorphan. DEXTORPHAN can be acetylated to ACETYL DEXTORPHAN but this is not acetyl or diacetyl DXM.

so because DXM has no Hydroxy groups, just a methoxy.......
DIACETYL DXM or even MONO ACETYL DXM DOES NOT EXIST AND THESE CANNOT EXIST

I closed the thread because the question had been properly answered at least once and the thread was degenerating into an arguament about semantics.

as to whether O acetyl DXO has any recreational or other valuevalue I don't know

anyway look at the pictures of the structures.

V

MattPsy
21-05-2007, 02:35
Yes vecktor is completely right. Lol, you can't acetylate a hydroxyl group if there isn't such a group there to do it to!
You CAN demethylate the methoxy to a hydroxyl, then acetylate (as one does for codeine to morphine to heroin/diacetylmorphine).
But in doing do you will have Acetyl-DXO, NOT Acetyl-DXM.

Acyl
21-05-2007, 05:14
Yes vecktor is completely right. Lol, you can't acetylate a hydroxyl group if there isn't such a group there to do it to!
You CAN demethylate the methoxy to a hydroxyl, then acetylate (as one does for codeine to morphine to heroin/diacetylmorphine).
But in doing do you will have Acetyl-DXO, NOT Acetyl-DXM.

Which is probably what he was referring to in the first place, don't you think? :\

Maybe not... whatever, too much work.

fastandbulbous
21-05-2007, 11:04
Will close tis as it's going nowhere