PDA

View Full Version : Loud thoughts/hearing voices from Opiates?

Krowsnose
15-05-2009, 13:19
Does this happen to anyone else?

Whenever I've got a heavy nod going on or am falling asleep on opiates I can feel my brain drifting off into blissful sleep mode and my thoughts start going on their own. I'll hear sentences and phrases in my head that I don't consciously think and they sort of just freely flow into my mind. It's a sensation of someone actually whispering these phrases to me as I sleep. It's kind of creepy but I'm very used to it and usually too nodded out to care. I'll also have pretty vivid semi-conscious dreams or images in my head before I'm asleep all the way. I also often have some pretty crazy dreams when I do fall asleep.

Is this a common trait with opiates? I always see in the movies someone shooting up heroin and having images of running through fields or flying on clouds. It's kind of like that except the images are more random. Thoughts or experiences?

ro4eva
15-05-2009, 15:04
Are you taking any other medication?

Are you diagnosed with any mental conditions?

wildman713
15-05-2009, 16:58
Wow, i seriourly thought i was freaking out, same happens to me!!! im on methadone, i have crazy ass dreams, almost like the stuff in my dreams happens. and i have heard some phrases, but not in my voice, like someone else is saying it. it started when i was taking bunch of norco 10 mg , then continued through my methadone treatment. mostly weird dreams. can it be the medicine giving us weird dreams??

opiyummm
15-05-2009, 17:10
I've never had anything like that happen to me while I nod.pni.spoololife.nfo Only a blissful nirvana.

Krowsnose
15-05-2009, 22:12
Are you taking any other medication?

Are you diagnosed with any mental conditions?

As far as I know I don't have any mental disorders. I'm a bit paranoid sometimes but that's about it.

And yea wildman, it's definitely like other people are saying it. A lot of times it's like a small child is whispering something.

I just woke up from a nod induced sleep and had a particularly graphic and disturbing dream. I won't go into details because no one likes listening to other peoples dreams. :P I didn't hear too many voices this time, I was falling asleep well after the peak.

nothing87
15-05-2009, 23:42
I have expericenced this when I was prescribed pain meds for knee surgery. I have an anxiety disorder but I am almost certain that it has nothing to do with it. Being a light weight and having never done opiates before, I heard voices and could hear myself think. I never thought that anyone else expericenced what I did. I heard my mother calling my name among other things right when I was about to drift off to sleep. Quite creepy, I honestly could not tell if it was real or in my head.

TRPPNASS_DSCOMONKE
16-05-2009, 00:58
i have this happen when finally laying down from awake a couple days. like when doing speed/tripping for two days then finally going to sleep.

its like im limbo, not really asleep. and i hear full sentances. i think its actually you beginning to fall asleep, but the sleep is so shallow that the strangeness of the event pulls you back out of the sleep very easily.

ive been thinking of making this thread for a while. thank you.

monstanoodle
16-05-2009, 01:17
I have experienced this yes. Either while really high and going to sleep or in a nod.

ro4eva
16-05-2009, 01:57
I've experienced this too when nodding.

theotherside
16-05-2009, 02:02
Yeah, I've experienced this when I was trying to go to sleep after a pretty heavy opiate dose. It's like your not really asleep, but you can hear faint noises/voices. Pretty weird.

JustaChippa
16-05-2009, 18:21
Wow, yep! I sure have experienced this, usually when I have taken too many and been awake for too long. It seems to happen just as I am drifitin off to sleep, and it has startled me awake more than once.

The first time I ever took percocet, following a nasty dental procedure, I was lying down to sleep with a World Series game on tv in the background. My team, the Indians were in it; this was 1995. Anyway, I distinctly "heard" Omar Vizquel warn me about the end of the world. I got this bottomless pit of fear in my stomach that haunts me to this day, and I swore off percs for years after that. It may sound humorous now, but it was the blackest, coldest most frightening feeling then.

"Hearing" the "voices" has happened many times since then, but the horrible accompanyin fright has not returned with such a vengeance. Sometimes the words are profound, though. It is obviously my subconscious unloading.

ro4eva
16-05-2009, 19:10
So we can all agree it's relatively common depending on the circumstances.

Hammilton
17-05-2009, 07:08
A constant side effect for me, regardless of the dose I've taken for the most part. Even on suboxone I still experience it.

It's one of the main reasons I like opiates.

QuasiStoned
17-05-2009, 23:21
I used to get this before I started doing opiates. When I would lay down and start to drift off I would get it, like spoken sentences of random jibberish and all that crap. Usually these voices belonged to friends that I knew.

On opiates it seems I'm too stimulated to actually fall asleep sometimes. Even when taking high enough doses to nod, the only strange effect I get is that free falling sensation where you snap awake immediatly. I get that one sometimes.

musicmike405
02-06-2010, 12:20
It's six in the morning and i've been hearing voices in my half lucid state of sleep. Although I have a perfectly healthy grasp on reality, I've found myself hearing voices while under the influence of opiates and drifting into sleep. I also get opiate induced insomnia, or at least i believe i do.
I hope this thread isn't dead, because I'd like to discuss this a little more with the others who have experienced this. My initial reaction is the assumption that I'm going insane, and so it is comforting to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.
Here is my theory: Opiates raise your dopamine levels. Dopamine has been linked to sociability within mammals. Ever find yourself doped up and babbling on to an audience who hardly wants to hear you talk anymore because you've been ranting for hours? That's what dopamine does when there is an excess amount of it in your brain. So, I believe that when you decide to go to sleep, you stop talking and create new dialogue inside of your head. The dopamine wants you to communicate with others, and once you've given up on that, your brain begins to create it's own dialogue, hence the voices. Technically, this is basically like being chemically imbalanced the way that a schizophrenic person who hears voices is. But, if this doesn't occur during sobriety, then it is obviously not an actual mental disorder, but rather a reaction to the excess dopamine in your brain. I'm figuring that there's nothing to be alarmed about. I thought I might be going insane, but I'm always fine when I'm sober. But that doesn't mean that a mental disorder cannot be induced. So maybe quiting the dope will be a good way to avoid any further discontent (for those of us who are scared shitless when they hear voices). Personally, I think I'm straight done with pills and heroin. There's no reason to prolong the nastiness of a drug which can turn your life in a steaming pile of shit. It'd be real nice if you guys didn't forget about this threat because it really comforts me to know that I'm not the only one and that I may have other people to assure me that I'm not a fucking wacko. Salute.

John_Burrows
02-06-2010, 13:47
Have you also noticed bright flashes of light, followed by the intense feeling that you've just traveled back in time?

Kurrupt
02-06-2010, 13:59
Have you also noticed bright flashes of light, followed by the intense feeling that you've just traveled back in time?

lol wut? Are you serious? I can't tell lol :\

ro4eva
02-06-2010, 17:46

Yep, and I also hear Christopher Lloyd yelling "great scott!"

bpayne
02-06-2010, 17:49
anytime I'm half sleep and bout to slip into a dream and snap out of it, I can hear the voices that I would normally hear in my dream. no biggie

John_Burrows
03-06-2010, 07:58
Have you also noticed large, swirling columns of black smoke that sounds like a monster?

It all starts with hearing voices in the jungle - err, I mean in your head.

bignbrown
03-06-2010, 10:59
yeah i get this usually as its wearing off and im trying to sleep, weird.

Justcharming
03-06-2010, 11:04
Yes, I have had that.

When it first happened a few years ago it sort of scared me.
Now I just let myself drift off and listen to the words...which sometimes I can hear clearly, other times not so much.

edgewise1
03-06-2010, 23:14
All my opiates ever say to me is "Take me, take me now.". Sometimes I listen, other times I don't.

pr0zaccc
05-06-2010, 11:46
Yea, I get it too... Whenever I nod at all, I hear my name called by a woman as lucid as if I was awake. It used to be quite creepy, but I've gotten quite used to it.
I personally believe it's lord Xenu's fault. It's leftover alien souls attached to my body transferring their thoughts while I'm nice and high. The only cure is Scientology.

HorseyP
05-06-2010, 17:15
I experience what you describe regularly when i try to go to bed after taking heroin. I don't get anything like that when i'm nodding, its when im trying to sleep and the opiates are then kind of keeping my up or in some sort of strange limbo.

I've had my thoughts run in some quite disturbing directions when this happens. Nothing to worry about though, i don't think, just annoying if you really need to sleep.

woamotive
05-06-2010, 17:18
I've been taking opiates for about 5 or 6 years now - only 'daily' for the last 2 years I'd say. Only in the last year have I started to 'see' things. Usually by night time, after dosing all day long, I see things in the corners of my eyes. I usually think it's insects or something running on the floor - or ANY sort of small animal moving, sometimes I think it's a person (I too get paranoid at night time). I KNOW these things are not there. It still is concerning as it's not really a rare occurrence. I've just come to ignore it.

Kaelfi
06-06-2010, 02:09
I only started hearing voices and noises in the past 8 months or so. Always when I have not slept much for a couple of days and I have been dosing (smallish amounts every couple of hours) steadily and have a good build-up in my system. I sometimes find it disturbing, sometimes fun.

When I finally lie down for a sleep I can be quite entertained by the cartoon like images and sounds. Voices that sound like they have been speeded up and images like a high def animation are my favorite. I used to think it was disturbing when it started, now I am used to it and as I said, it can be quite fun and entertaining

rollinrollinrollin
06-06-2010, 02:20
have any of you ever got this affect after doing drugs? because my friend after a night we did xanex and ecstacy together I know crazy right.. well we probably took about 3 xanex bars and three ecstacy pills and he says to this day it has fucked with him mentally so bad, I on the other hand feeel pretty normal. But can that be a reason to why people hear voices plus the fact of other drugs still being taken(not me but him.).

hellocatastrophe
06-06-2010, 09:05
this happens to me ALL THE TIME. especially when i'm falling asleep as it's usually contributed to me being overly tired in my case. sometimes it even wakes me up it's so "loud." grrrr!

sometimes too i will actually think i am somewhere else/doing something/talking to someone and i will start talking or laughing out loud. my fiance thinks it's quite comical actually.

this happens to a lot of people i know, so don't worry man, you're not crazy!

edit// i just realized the original post was from last year, hahaha

hellocatastrophe
06-06-2010, 09:08
have any of you ever got this affect after doing drugs? because my friend after a night we did xanex and ecstacy together I know crazy right.. well we probably took about 3 xanex bars and three ecstacy pills and he says to this day it has fucked with him mentally so bad, I on the other hand feeel pretty normal. But can that be a reason to why people hear voices plus the fact of other drugs still being taken(not me but him.).

it's really not that crazy.
i always have benzos for a roll.
especially the come down.

and i don't know how it could have fucked him up for life.
had he ever taken xanax before?
is he positive it didn't have more to do with the ecstasy?
was it tested as pure MDMA or did it have adulterants?
also- what is he currently taking & how regularly?

unsettled
06-06-2010, 10:37
It all sounds like that waking dream state that I get into when I'm on a good dose of opiates, but I usually don't hear voices whispering in my ears. A lot of times I just close my eyes while the tv is on and my mind starts to create it's own movie to the sounds that I'm hearing from the tv. Sometimes it takes a more personal turn and it's almost like a real dream with people I actually know in real life in the dreams....it can get very strange but I've always really enjoyed it for the most part.

coopie
06-06-2010, 10:48
Yep, and I also hear Christopher Lloyd yelling "great scott!"

hahahahahahaha!

I dream alot on opiates and I sleep with the tv on and sometimes I'll wake up and realise what was on tv was going into my dream, if that makes sense?

I also have those falling dreams a lot, the ones where you wake up with a jolt. (on opiates)

BananasAndOranges
07-06-2010, 07:06
I get brain zaps and hear weird shit from occasion...like right now...and its weird. I was taking methadone for a few days as I see someone else had posted something about this and holy fuck...scary ass dreams on this stuff.

BananasAndOranges
07-06-2010, 07:09
hahahahahahaha!

I dream alot on opiates and I sleep with the tv on and sometimes I'll wake up and realise what was on tv was going into my dream, if that makes sense?

I also have those falling dreams a lot, the ones where you wake up with a jolt. (on opiates)I hate falling dreams soo much

Top_Cat
07-06-2010, 10:11
It's Hypnagogic hallucinations of the auditory kind...
I tend to experience it as the voices of my friends having a conversation with me and I with them but the rooms empty or no one is speaking, normally happens when I'm knackered and in a self-induced stupor..

Nothing abnormal really, while it may be caused by drugs it can occur just as easily without..
Hypnagogia is stage between being awake and being asleep..

The Tetris effect is another Hypnagogic phenomenon; have you ever spent the day doing an activity and then still experienced similar sensations when in bed before drifting off? Like trampolining or swimming then feel like you were still bouncing/floating in bed..

Top_Cat
07-06-2010, 10:21

I also have those falling dreams a lot, the ones where you wake up with a jolt. (on opiates)

External Stimulus becoming part of a dream is very common, I'm sure most people have had their alarm clock ringing being in their dreams (normally just before you wake up an turn it off)

As for the falling and awakening with a jolt they're known as 'Hypnic Jerk' (which just sounds like an insult t'wards psychics)
It occurs most spasmtastically when your deprived of sleep and your sleep cycle is out of rhythm....

ss2brandon
07-06-2010, 17:40
you are not alone i'll start having a conversation with someone in my head. then i might answer out loud lol. its usually when im nodding out and on the brink of passing out. i think its the demons

Draigan
07-06-2010, 18:37
No dude I get this so much. Its like its screaming in my head.

Kanga
07-06-2010, 20:26
Yes, I have also experienced this several times.

artaxerxes
08-06-2010, 11:42
Yeah, me too. Hearing voices, talking back, and interacting with characters in dreams as if they were in my waking life is pretty normal and nothing I worry about. Whether I was taking drugs or not, when I was a child and even before I took drugs, I experienced similar things in waking dreams.

I mean to research this more because I think it's really interesting. Dreams are fascinating and powerful. I seem to have a very thin membrane separating my waking consciousness from my dream subconscious. It's always been easy for me to slip into a lucid dreaming state and I think that may be related to the ease with which I sink into half-waking/half-sleeping states on opiates.

But I definitely think what the OP describes is normal for many people and I don't consider it a cause for alarm. In other words, OP and other previous posters, you're not at all crazy. :) You just have a really immediate connection to your dream states.

Top Cat: Thanks for your posts. Some interesting info in there, especially the definition of "Hypnic Jerks." I've often wondered what the correct term was for those occurrences.

I have experienced the Tetris effect many times and now I have a name for it. Most people have probably experienced it after studying for hours on end or working repetitive retail gigs. Or working as a production artist or animator. I worked in a Tower Video and our last duty of the night was re-shelving cases of the returned movies before we closed the store. I have some crystal-clear memories of bolting up in bed out of dreams where I was shelving dozens of identical VHS tape cases in rapid sequence. Usually Blue Velvet. Night after night.

Coiling audio cables… I worked as a sound tech and the last thing we'd do before going home was coiling and hanging up dozens of XLR, RCA and power cables before we could clock out. Once I jumped out of bed, convinced that we'd left a load of cables up at the Greek and was in the car before I got back to reality. Sleep deprivation and drugs seem to create the same effect. Ironically, they're very fond memories.