PDA

View Full Version : Hep C

Pages : [1] 2

ranunky
25-09-2010, 15:58
There's a 50/50 chance i used a needle that a guy with hep C (type 5) used. what are the chances I have it and if I get checked sooner can it be cured?

shanefrommaine
25-09-2010, 16:18
There's a 50/50 chance i used a needle that a guy with hep C (type 5) used. what are the chances I have it and if I get checked sooner can it be cured?

Probably.. 50%?

glitter_kiss
25-09-2010, 20:42
i dont think it can be cured, but it can be treated til its undectable, but from what i hear if you have it you have it for life.

Dr Pepper
25-09-2010, 20:54
It can be cleared from your system with interferon treatment. But that has a range of side effects that aren't well-documented and occasionally are long term and terrible. Theres a decent chance, at least like 20%, that your body will clear it on its own. More likely if you are female. If you got it, i'd wait and see if your body could clear it, and if not, i'd personally just stop drinking and doing stuff bad for you liver and live with it. Hep C is on the verge of becoming completely curable from what i researched when i had a hep c scare, and you will be fine for at least 10 years, but probably much longer, and by then i'd put money that they have a cure. Currently, interferon works like 50% of the time, more or less depending on what subtype of hep c u got. So its not all bleak news.
Best of luck, and i hope you didnt catch anything and will take this as a lesson to stop shooting drugs or at least stop using drugs around other users b/c you run these risks.

glitter_kiss
25-09-2010, 21:55
are you sure that the interfuron cures it completely? cause i have hep c and thats one of the main reason i havent looked further into going through the treatment. I dont want to go throguh all the side effects if its just going to come back, but i if its a cure than id probaly try to go through it

PureLife
25-09-2010, 22:25
^ Interferon doesn't "cure" Hep C. It puts it in remission. I've been on interferon for the past 42 weeks ( out of 52) so hopefully it works!

glitter_kiss
25-09-2010, 22:35
thats what i thought , hows the treatment been so far? do you think its worth it?

Dr Pepper
26-09-2010, 01:07
Sorry for the misinformation. Is it undetectable b/c it isnt there, or b/c it isn't there in sufficient quantity? Or you simply have antibody still but no virus? B.c you will always have the antibody. I have hep b antibody because i was vaccinated for it. Catch my drift?

PureLife
26-09-2010, 07:22
hows the treatment been so far? do you think its worth it?

Right now, it sucks and has a lot of side effect. If it works the way its supposed to though, it's def. worth it.

pera_ko
26-09-2010, 12:01
what are you guys doing sharing needles anyway? weren't you aware that 1in3 IV users have hep C

PureLife
26-09-2010, 18:27
what are you guys doing sharing needles anyway? weren't you aware that 1in3 IV users have hep C

Please don't jump into this thread to lecture us. If your going to post at least say something that will contribute. I already have Hep C so nothing you say can change that now. You do know theres other ways to get Hep C other than needles right?

pera_ko
27-09-2010, 11:03
yes, but the main way of getting hep c is from IV, 80% of transmission cases

the other risks are from sharing toothbrush, sharing razors, fighting, tattoo's, blood rituals, needle stick injury

but the main way is sharing needles, I just don't understand why you guys shared needles with each other in the first place, PureLife I suggest you dont share a needle again just incase you catch another strain or infect somebody.

If you are in prison that is understandable, but in the community? just wait that extra 10mins to go buy a clean syringe.

(Merged three posts here- Please see BL Etiquette in the GreenLighter's Guide (http://wiki.bluelight.ru/index.php/Greenlighters_guide#Bluelight_etiquette). Thanks!)

DeLee
27-09-2010, 21:28
I hope you don't mind if I pop in a little Q' in youre thread.

I shared needles with a guy who have Hep C - actually I shared a lot of needles when i was in my heroin glory. Anyway I ended up in the hospital and got the routine test of HIV and Hepatitus. Negative on HIV/AIDS and Hepatitus I had Hep A or B antibodies + Hep C antibodies..

They want to be sure so Ill be taking another test for Hep C in about 5 months.
Can these test give false information like in my case where they didn't find the virus just antibodies?

I mean its a sign I have or had Hep C.

crimsonjunk
27-09-2010, 21:56
I have had scares like this the best thing to do is make sure you dont spread it to anyone else and statr being more careful not to expose yourself again. In reality the odds of contracting it are pretty managable I think 50 percent is fairly accurate. The key is that your life is not over nor will it be permantly fucked so dont use this as an excuse to go off the deep end and do something dumb.

PureLife
28-09-2010, 01:00
Just keep getting yourself tested.

glitter_kiss
28-09-2010, 02:10
if you have the anti-bodies i think it means you were exposed but your body fought it off, which does happen in a small percentage of cases

PureLife
29-09-2010, 17:35
Thats what I thought. If your vaccinated for hep A&B wouldn't you come up positive for antibodies?

pamalamadingdong
29-09-2010, 21:19
If you are going to share a needle with someone bleach will not kill hep c.

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE DOES. Please share this information with all your friends. It probably saved my life.

ranunky
29-09-2010, 21:20
I got tested today and the nurse said not to worry too much from one share that it's repeated exposure tat gets people. I'm still worried though:-/.

pamalamadingdong
29-09-2010, 21:23
I hope you don't mind if I pop in a little Q' in youre thread.

I shared needles with a guy who have Hep C - actually I shared a lot of needles when i was in my heroin glory. Anyway I ended up in the hospital and got the routine test of HIV and Hepatitus. Negative on HIV/AIDS and Hepatitus I had Hep A or B antibodies + Hep C antibodies..

They want to be sure so Ill be taking another test for Hep C in about 5 months.
Can these test give false information like in my case where they didn't find the virus just antibodies?

I mean its a sign I have or had Hep C.

You could just be a carrier, and not infected showing signs of infection. Perhaps that is the better.

Since you have the antibodies, that tells me you had vaccinations for A or B, and probably repeated exposure to C.

Another way of saying what you have is inactive hep c. Hopefully it will never become active.

Merged 2 posts. Please see Bluelight etiquette in the greenlighters guide (http://wiki.bluelight.ru/index.php/Greenlighters_guide#Bluelight_etiquette) - PA

paranoid android
29-09-2010, 21:52
If you are going to share a needle with someone bleach will not kill hep c.

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE DOES. Please share this information with all your friends. It probably saved my life.

Do not risk this at all. Do not share needles, cookers or even the same water as someone else that's if they have put a used needle in it. You can get needles in most states at needle exchanges atleast i believe and pharmacies. Someone from the US could chime in on this. I am from Canada and i have never had a problem buying syringes at a pharmacy. I have never even been asked what i wanted them for.

So just don't share any gear at all.

pamalamadingdong
29-09-2010, 23:04
Do not risk this at all. Do not share needles, cookers or even the same water as someone else that's if they have put a used needle in it. You can get needles in most states at needle exchanges atleast i believe and pharmacies. Someone from the US could chime in on this. I am from Canada and i have never had a problem buying syringes at a pharmacy. I have never even been asked what i wanted them for.

So just don't share any gear at all.

agreed. do not share at all. sorry i should have made that declaration as well.

in new jersey you cannot get needles without a prescription. and i do not know the policy on needle exchanges. when i lived in texas, i had no problem getting points from pharmacies. you just gotta tell them it's for you, then i think they will reluctantly hand one over.

PureLife
30-09-2010, 04:46
Sharing in general is bad practice, even if you "sterilize" it. Eventually down the road ( if you get that far) you'll be in a fucked up situation and just not care and not "sterilize" one. Almost every major City has some kind of access to fresh needles. Whether they are OTC or they are at an exchange. If you don't have those two options there's still no excuse. Just order them online! If you can muster up enough money for dope everyday and other living necessities then you can afford a 10 pack of sets.

pamalamadingdong
30-09-2010, 05:50
Sharing in general is bad practice, even if you "sterilize" it. Eventually down the road ( if you get that far) you'll be in a fucked up situation and just not care and not "sterilize" one. Almost every major City has some kind of access to fresh needles. Whether they are OTC or they are at an exchange. If you don't have those two options there's still no excuse. Just order them online! If you can muster up enough money for dope everyday and other living necessities then you can afford a 10 pack of sets.

Amen to that. But if you happen to ever see someone think that bleach is enough, please correct them. They might be killing HIV but they most likely will be unsuccessful in killing HEP C.

Hep C can live outside the body for 7 days folks...

donnie080208
30-09-2010, 11:06
Just come back clear of hep c after 6 years of i.v. use ,shared needles 4/5 times in those years, if its the choice between no drugs or sharing and you hurt enough ,you will share.
I was convinced i had it and put the test off for years, its the only way of knowing.
Be careful everyone and dont share water, filters, spoons etc.
^.I read hep c virus can live outside the body for up to 3 months and cleaning the spoon or whatever doesnt kill it. Needles are the main way but not the only way of catching a blood borne virus

PureLife
30-09-2010, 15:03
I read hep c virus can live outside the body for up to 3 months

I'm fairly certain its 72 hours, but I'll look it up when I get a chance.

donnie080208
01-10-2010, 20:13
^No worries, i did get told off a drug worker , that if a small drop of infected blood was left on a spoon and then put in a freezer for 3 months and then you took it out washed it , then cooked up your shot on that spoon you could still contract the virus (hepc). Maybe a lot smaller chance but im not 100% sure how accurate that info is ?
Im sure you'll agree bro, what isnt up for debate , is that its one of the easiest blood borne virus's to catch and once contracted can have NO symptoms for up to 20 years or more.

edarrin
03-10-2010, 07:09
I just don't understand why you guys shared needles with each other in the first place,

In Canada the majority of hep c positive people acquired the virus in the 60's ,70's and 80's before the advant of harm reduction programs. Not that it still doesn't happen now.

I think it might be different in the US were access to that kind of thing is sort of piecemeal as I understand it.

PureLife
05-10-2010, 17:35
Hmmm. I find out this month If my treatment worked, and if it has ridden my liver of detectable levels then I get to go off the meds a month early. We shall see.

donnie080208
08-10-2010, 12:57
@purelife good luck i hope you have cleared it, its only through lifes lottery that i didnt contract a virus

raybeez
09-10-2010, 06:17
Average risk of transmission from a single blood borne exposure to the infectious agent:

Hepatitis B: 33%
Hepatitis C: 3%
HIV: 0.3%

Note this is just an average transmission risk and is dependent on the person's viral load. Viral load is usually related to if the person has active disease or not, and if they're on anti-viral medication.

For example, risk of blood borne transmission from a person with full blown AIDS who isn't on anti-retrovirals approaches 100%

Regarding how long virus can live outside the body, for HIV its as long as the bodily fluids are wet (ie dried blood or dried semen cannot transmit virus). For Hepatitis its around 24-48 hours after sample has dried.

percy168
09-10-2010, 16:40
Right now, it sucks and has a lot of side effect. If it works the way its supposed to though, it's def. worth it. good luck mate.

i had been on treatment for a year, fucking done my head right in, alas it didnt work but there has been improvement in my liver. i will give my self some time and then repeat the course but this time it lasts 18 month with less than 40% chance of a cure.

i have never shared needles but shared spoons and presume i caught it from that.

stay lucky

smackncheese
11-10-2010, 00:39
If you really only had one exposure to it, your chances of not catching it are actually pretty good. Your immune system can be a powerful machine, if you're in decent health.

I have Hep C from sharing needles with my boyfriend who contracted the antibodies while coming in contact with infected blood from a pregnant hooker. The bitch suddenly went into labor at our friend's house after doing a blast of speed, and he was the only one around and, being the noble man he is, sprang into action and came to her aid. He had an open wound on his hand (and no gloves), and didn't know she was infected. He and I were sharing works at the time. He didn't know he had exposure, got the antibodies, exposed ME, continued to share with me, and by continuously sharing with eachother, we sealed our fates. We could have avoided it completely.

Bottom line: Never share anything!! No matter how close of a friend you are to someone. No matter if you share a bed, or your body, or everything else you have.. don't share works.

CharlesTheHammer
11-10-2010, 01:22
Right now, it sucks and has a lot of side effect. If it works the way its supposed to though, it's def. worth it.

Interferon treatment works at different percentages depending upon which form of hep c you have. Some forms of hep c, you will only have like a 30-50% chance of the treatment working.

PureLife
12-10-2010, 06:29
^ I would rather take the meds and deal with the uncomfortable side effect At least I gave it a go. I'd rather have that peace in either 1) the treatment worked good and the treatment paid off. 2) The treatment didn't work, but at least I tried.

theartofwar
12-10-2010, 06:36

The chances are simple enough , I just hope for your sake you caught a lucky break bro.

That said - I know hundreds of people who live with HepC - it's not easy I won't say it always is. But all in all, these people live quite normal lives. The main thing now is to make sure you protect OTHERS, if you have indeed contracted Hep C - which i do hope you haven't !

donnie080208
12-10-2010, 11:20
@purelife im hepc negative but have heard the interferon treatment can be hell , must be very disappointing to go through it then find you havent cleared it. I do agree that you did the right thing trying it though. @ med school guy, say someone used a needle then left it in a drawer for 5 days, i then cleaned it out and used it , since all the virus's die within 48 hours do i have 0% chance of catching them then? thanks

raybeez
13-10-2010, 03:54
@ med school guy, say someone used a needle then left it in a drawer for 5 days, i then cleaned it out and used it , since all the virus's die within 48 hours do i have 0% chance of catching them then? thanks

How did you clean it?

It Depends on the virus load of the person using the needle. If the person has a low virus load, Hepatitis C would die as quickly as 16 hours. If the person had a crazy high virus load (like they were jaundiced with fulminant hepatitis it could live up to 4 days). Either way your safe!

Hepatitis B can live up to 7 days though...

edarrin
13-10-2010, 05:12
I don't know where all these percentages of risk of transmission are coming from but it is my understanding that it is one of the easiest bloodborne infections to get.

Not sure about type 5 (you in Europe somewhere?) but check out www.hepatitis-central.com for tons of info.

Good luck.

donnie080208
13-10-2010, 10:50
@edarrin i agree those figures seem far too low imo as after 3 years of i.v. use,on average up to 70% of users will have hep c. I just cant see a 3% chance when exposed to infected blood but the med school guy does seem to know a bit though. reliable source about this would be good as it could be dangerous in a harm reduction way

PureLife
13-10-2010, 18:55
i.v. use,on average up to 70% of users will have hep c.

I've heard this statistic many times. it's kind of a broad statement though. I feel it would only apply to urban areas that are stricken with poverty and don't have access to clean needles.I say urban areas because of the density of people and I say poverty because they don't have the financial resources to buy fresh syringes.

Antavio09
13-10-2010, 19:00
agreed. do not share at all. sorry i should have made that declaration as well.

in new jersey you cannot get needles without a prescription. and i do not know the policy on needle exchanges. when i lived in texas, i had no problem getting points from pharmacies. you just gotta tell them it's for you, then i think they will reluctantly hand one over.

here in the southeastern us they make extremely difficult to get clean syringes. thank god for the internet. I have a friend who just found out he has hep c and he still continues to share spoons and water with people. he doesnt even tell them he has it, he spreads it with impunity.

raybeez
13-10-2010, 19:14
Accidental exposure may lead to infection by blood borne pathogens, particularly
hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV. The average risk of seroconversion after a single
percutaneous exposure to infected blood for hepatitis C is approximately 2%
and for hepatitis B it is 6–60%. The average risk of seroconversion to HIV after
a single percutaneous exposure to HIV-infected blood is 0.1–0.3%. The risk of
transmission through exposure to infected fluids or tissues is believed to be lower
than that through exposure to infected blood.

Source here. (http://www.mycleansky.com/swineflu/who_report/ITH2009Chapter8.pdf)

Please note that these numbers are for a healthy adult following a single exposure. Repeat exposures or decreased immune system function make the risk numbers go way up.

donnie080208
14-10-2010, 10:59
@raybeeze So if i get this right by "single exposure" you mean shooting with a used needle once on average youve got a 3% chance of catching hep c. this doesnt seem right to me unless im wrong as hep c is rampant in i.v. users and people can catch it from injecting once in their life.

@purelife i live in the u.k. where needles are free and readily available, the 70% figure after 3 year i.v. use was shown me by a drug worker in some pamplet. these were u.k. figures, mostly taken from inner city tests, i guess

raybeez
14-10-2010, 23:01
Here is a study done (http://www.victoria.ca/cityhall/pdfs/hrmrdc_prvlnc_hpttsc.pdf)in the Canadian city with the largest population of injection drug users .

Over 80% of the injection drug users in the study tested positive for HepC

The study then looked at injection drug users who were HepC positive, and calculated the risk of developing HepC to certain factors:

Daily injection of heroin - 55% increased risk of developing HepC
Sharing syringes - 178% increase in risk
History of incarceration - 256% increase in risk
Involvement in the sex trade / utilization of prostitutes - 369% increase in risk

The study's conclusion was that the extremely high prevalence of Hepatitis C in injection drug using populations is due more to factors not related to their drug use, such as involvement in the sex trade.

donnie080208
15-10-2010, 22:03
"Hepatitis C in injection drug using populations is due more to factors not related to their drug use, such as involvement in the sex trade. "

But the main hep c site says the chance of infection through sex is slim to non existent .the figures they have were 0.0 to 0.6% of suffers caught it through sex. Surely the vast, vast majrity of drug user infection is through contamintaed needles, filters etc..making it the" main factor" The figures for this and the "0.3,3,33% post" just seem way off imo. No offense meant there raybeeze , i may just be reading it all the wrong way round or something.

PureLife
16-10-2010, 04:19
I was with someone for six months and she knew of my hep C and we still had unprotected sex ( i know, poor desicion making) and she never got it. I mean I wouldn't have had intercourse if there was some kind of open would on my genitals. But I was cut and scratch free.

littlesparkle
16-10-2010, 04:45
keep rechecking.or if thats not possible...look at your eyes often and see if they becoming yellowish.of couse in some situations you just have to share,just try not to,wash the sryinge before reusing and of course always try to be the 'first one' on the needle when you can

raybeez
16-10-2010, 04:51
"Hepatitis C in injection drug using populations is due more to factors not related to their drug use, such as involvement in the sex trade. "

But the main hep c site says the chance of infection through sex is slim to non existent .the figures they have were 0.0 to 0.6% of suffers caught it through sex. Surely the vast, vast majrity of drug user infection is through contamintaed needles, filters etc..making it the" main factor" The figures for this and the "0.3,3,33% post" just seem way off imo. No offense meant there raybeeze , i may just be reading it all the wrong way round or something.

Hi Donnie, great job picking up on that! I'll explain the missing piece of the puzzle that will hopefully help this make more sense to you and others reading this thread.

You are 100% correct in that Hepatitis C is rarely transmitted through sexual intercourse. So why does risky sexual behaviour increase the odds of getting HepC more than intravenous drug use?

The answer is because Hepatitis B and HIV are both sexually transmitted, and if you have either one of these, your odds of getting HepC SKYROCKET.

If you recall, I quotes a 3% risk of infection after a single exposure to a healthy individual . The risk of HepC infection if you have HIV or HepB is probably between 30-90%.

donnie080208
17-10-2010, 07:48
@raybeeze

Im still a bit confused here , especially with the 3% risk, so if you had a 100 healthy adults each who used a infected (with hepc) needle, on average only 3 would catch hep c ?
Going off the rates of infection here in the u.k. (70% i.v. users infected ) surely this is too low, by the single exposure do you mean "using an infected needle once"?