View Full Version : Marijuana Stem Extraction
There is enough in the archives to find the directions in-which to do this, but I wanted to confirm that this was quite worth the little effort. When first researching rather it was worth the effort (little as it may be), I read a lot of skepticism as to rather it was worth it, and uncertainty as to how much would be needed if you were to. It was not a fresh plant; my collection was all pulled and saved from street-ready bud. It took a year, but I do not smoke as frequent as most of you likely do. I had my friends save their own, as well.
All-in-all, I had 60.5g~ of stems after grinding them to a flour consistency - I suggest a butane extraction from this point. I am very happy with the trashed I turned into treasure, and so long as you invest nothing in making it, withhold a little time, my opinion is it is well worth it. No scales, do not know the weight. With the effects felt off little more than a 10th of a penny, I will be able to catch a strong nightly bedtime high for approx. 7 to 10 days.
To all you skeptics - Do not be.
Yup, stems, leaves and shake all still have THC in them and an extraction will get you "blood from a stone" so to speak.
Glad to hear things turned out good. How did youextract it? What ratio of solvent to herb?
^^ Used this method to a T.
For comparison, I also took about 7 grams of the same material, and made a Isopropyl extraction. This product, very little due to amount used, was not enjoyable. Tasted awful, smelled something awful and gave me a mild headache. I did not measure, but rather used an 8 floz mason jar, filled with Isopropyl (99% solution) to barely cover material. I do not recommended this method.
I usually use acetone for this (cheaper and more readily available than, for instance, isopropyl, where I come from).
1) Cut up your sticks and stems into little pieces - the finer the better - and place them into a glass jar.
2) Pour acetone (or isopropyl, or whatever) over them, so most of them are covered. You don't want to go too crazy though, 'cause more acetone in the jar means more waiting at the end.
3) Give the jar a good, rough, violent shake for the best part of 2-3 hours, as much as you have the strength/endurance for. Placing it in a bath of hot (not boiling) water also makes the extraction more efficient. The longer you let it sit or shake, the better.
4) Pour the contents through a strainer (to get out the plant material) and into a container (with a flat bottom). Place the container on the balcony, outside, or by a windowsill to evaporate. Lower, wider containers are the best (large surface area = quick evaporation). DO NOT DO THIS INDOORS, ESPECIALLY IF NOT VENTILATED PROPERLY! The fumes that are emitted are not especially healthy and are also quite flammable.
5) After all the acetone has evaporated, you should be left with residual green goo. Scrape up the goo with a razor or something similar.
6) Bom Shiva! Smoke the goo!
The 'oil' made in this fashion from simple stems has always floored me with its potency. It can pack a harder punch than the bud from the same plant the stems are from did - no joke.
as far as i know the isopropyl method leaves plant matter behind as well as chlorophyll.
glad your stemhash worked OP :)
Cannabis stems are legal in the UK. I know that's not what the OP asked, but it's interesting anyway.
I've always considered the stem to be of little use personally, since there are much better parts to salvage, such as sparsely covered fan leaves. However, it's good that someone has managed to use them!
IPA does make a less pure product than you get when making BHO. However, I myself have managed to make incredibly strong hash/oil using the quick was iso method. Yield is lower, but quality is much higher - almost on a par with BHO. The disadvantage of ice-extracted hash is that it takes away natural smells and flavours presebt as terpenoids in the cannabis, since they're water soluble. However, I believe you do in fact retain these in iso hash oil, making it taste better when consumed.
Cannabis stems are legal in the UK.
Do you have a source for that please?
Cannabis stems are legal in the UK..
Stems are still considerd cannabis and therefore iligal just like the buds you smoke it's all from the same plant and therefore illigal
Im sure its federally illegal but maybe local cops just don't care about the stems? anyways isent legal discussion not allowed?
ive found stems are ok to do an extraction on if you have nothing else and solvents around. but the leaf is better popcorn buds are even better and heady nugs and colas are the best. lol but i prefer to smoke the latter 2! %)
I am fond of decarboxylating my saved stems, grinding them to a powder like consistency, freezing, sifting for kief, and adding the kief into honey over a double boiler or in a food warmer. It makes the most delicious honey elixir and it's very potent. Last time I did it my ration was 4.5g stems to 1/2 fl. oz honey. Super dooper
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.