Bluelight

• Bluelight turns black the week of February 12th in memoriam

Sixteen years ago on February 12th, one of our own passed away.

For those who didn't know Ryan Haight, AKA "Quicksilver", he was an extraordinary young man. An honors student with an intellectual curiosity about the world and, perhaps most memorably, Ryan was a wonderful person and friend. He was found dead the morning of February 12th from an overdose of prescription pain medication.

Quicksilver's death was not the first loss this community has suffered, and neither was it our last. But beginning February 12th, the week of "Black Bluelight" is a time for all of us, each year, to remember those we have lost and re-center on our mission of harm reduction. We ask our staff, our members and all who visit Bluelight to reflect on what drug-related harm reduction means to you and how we can further the health, safety and well being of those who visit our forums.

We also welcome you to visit the Bluelight Shrine, where you can pay your respect to those we've lost:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/89-Bluelight-Shrine

In memoriam,

Sebastians_ghost
    Comments 19 Comments
      Lostsoul757 -
      Very sad :-( sorry to hear. I'm sure he as many others are looking down and watching over us.
      GalaxyNinja66 -
      Its the ones that mean the most that are lost...
      thadocta13 -
      Mitakuye oyasin! Wopilayelo!
      gun toting hip gansta -
      I can remember when this happened, 12 years ago wow.

Had a quick browse through the shrine as well. Too many names, too many. So sad
      Gindy -
      I'll join u in thinking of those lost in similar circs. Growing up in a poor northern town, and with the rise of heroin and prescribed pain killers, I've lost a few of the ppl I grew up with.

If there were more info out there, if places/help like bluelight had been around, maybe, just maybe some of those lost would still be with us.
      fibromyarthgirl -
      It's a sad reminder how drugs (street or prescription), destroy those who truly are good people and leave this world way too early, way before their time and yet again there is one less soul that could have made such a positive difference in the country. Only the good die young
      Bbygurl96 -
      I'm so sorry... I'm new here but I just lost my dad December 5 2016 my prayers go out for his family!
      Traciejordan -
      I didnt know him but i can relate to the effects of an o.d.
      Grigore -
      May God bless our friends who are still alive and may our fallen brothers rest in peace.
      timestwelve -
      Didnt know these good people but from this life we share on this earth gives us something we have in common..I have walk in the shoes along the same path that taken our fellow brothers ..Its not a path we nessicerly want to take in this life entering new adventures , but then it becomes one we have to walk just to live .Yes my brother i know . Im still walking it today and may ur soul be free from all the hurt and pain we endured on this journey called life on earth..I hope you RIP and you will be missed till we all met on the otherside ..
      ONE LOVE
      dicko89 -
      sorry to hear about this loss ..let us all take a lesson from this guy RIP
      TumajNuri -
      Words are few, thoughts are deep, memories of dead people we will always keep.
      Rachella666 -
      I think that ODing has effected one or all of us at some point. This is very sad, the loss of a child is never understood, my thoughts are with his parents
      circadianGene -
      Its sad to hear the loss of Ryan twenty years ago specially that he was young , brilliant kid and he could have contributed to lot to this community. It reminds us that there is razor thin wedge between brilliance and mental illness though every death due to drugs in what shape n form is deplorable. RIP
      inebriatedanimals -
      It's sad to hear about the loss of such a person with so much potential. I think this is, however, a good opportunity for us all to realign our beliefs and make sure that we focus on maintaining our health. Although some users do recreational bal drugs , this is not the healthiest of habits and one that can lead to ms y problems. That's why communities such as this exist, to reduce potential harm ad to potentially even get people to stop taking a drug that they may be dependent on, or to stop for some other reason. Although this loss is tragic, let's make sure that his death is not in vain, and that we use it as a constant reminder that we are playing a dangerous game, and places like this are important to provide help and to limit harm.
      Erwoid -
      A friend of Bluelight is a friend of mine, I lost a friend his name was Ryan Haight.
      Rest in peace brother.

pseudonymph -
      Rest In Peace, Ryan.
      Prophet HyBriD -
      I literally just got finished registering to BlueLight after over 10 years of use. (Reading, browsing, researching, etc.) As my first official post/comment I would first like to offer my condolences for "Quicksilver", his family, and his friends. Also I would like to offer my condolences to all who have passed away that had relations with and to this website.

If I had one thing I could tell people, especially younger people, who were experimenting or taking "substances," I would tell them quite frankly, you are better off pursuing other "pleasures" and/or sticking to strictly professional medical help. But, because I know most of us will still pursue the unknown, so to speak, then I will tell you one of the most surprising things I found out about myself and my drug use after about 15 years of opiate/opioid/and the occasional speed/uppers/MDMA/and other interesting illegal drugs. I found out that every time I was nodding out and waking up to my head almost hitting the floor, or passing out even while straight up walking...I was actually, legitimately OVERDOSING and very close to death. I couldn't believe I didn't see that word for exactly what it is...taking a dose that is over most standard doses from prescribed patients. I was taking damn near 20 times over the standard high dosage almost every time I would take these drugs...and just for recreational usage. Not to mention I lost my way even further and was introduced to intravenous injection (which I said I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER!!! do) The unfortunate chances are that you will eventually. I am very lucky I am alive today and still am not perfect. Once you have gone so far it really does take a miracle or a helping army to completely heal you, close to the simple human that u were before using.

Anyway, it really is a gamble and drug phrases, lingo, and experiences aren't what they used to be, especially with drugs that can only be used illegally, like certain strains of methamphetamine (ice,glass) and every form of cocaine. Drugs like Heroin, MDMA, PCP, "bath salts", LSD, and Shrooms (Psilocybin), and many other drugs that have been pretty much banned from use in standard and popular medicine. There were many "positive" experiences and accounts from "hippies" and others from the 60's, 70's, and even into the 80's till now with some individual claims. These people were forerunners in society that lived in a very fragile stage in human, world, and U.S. history. There was war throughout the 60's, 70's, and even in the 80's. People were becoming aware of the agenda of the "higher-ups" and "The Man." People decided that if they could help it that they would rebel as peacefully and PLEASURABLY as possible! Lol. Marijuana was the main drug but this naturally growing plant is virtually safe, especially when it's pharmacology is compared to pretty much any other prescribed medication with side effects. "Weed", the nickname that most have come to accept, has caused more good than harm when it comes to physical and psychological effects. But because of its illegality, marijuana did more bad than good when it came to its effects on society and the crime world. Because it had to be just as hidden and treated just like all the hardcore illegal drugs, weed stayed hidden among many volatile drugs and eventually became just another dollar sign in the black market amongst gangs like the mafia, drug smugglers, and street gangs like The bloods and The Crips (Crypts). And not to mention it becomes an asset to the business world, playing just as equal a part as any asset keeping the economy rolling. Anyway, not to get too far off track because all of it is mostly a huge puzzle full of "necessary" deceptions and decoys so that the higher-ups can continue their mission of world domination. They already have more money than there are things to buy, so that's no fun. They crave power, and the thirst for raw power CANNOT be quenched.

Long story short, nothing is usually as it seems...and if it is, then you're just still being deceived at that moment...more than likely.

[I hope this extremely long BOOK has at least bored you into staying away from drugs. I mean, don't even risk going to the D.A.R.E. classes at your local school, because if anything, it will probably spark a curiosity that was not even there before you were "educated." They mean well but man it didn't really help me. I'm not saying to not become educated or allow other sources to educate you...I just had to take that jab at D.A.R.E. and if u were still in like 1st or 2nd grade when they unloaded all this on to your innocent and fragile "plate" of a mind, then you may understand where I'm coming from. JUST DONT DO ANY DAMN DRUGS PLEASE! Go look up pictures of what just even a month of methamphetamine use will do to a person. If that shit doesn't scare you straight then just keep on scrolling and do some more research. Remember each person that has died from a drug overdose was guaranteed to genuinely believe that a drug related death COULD NOT and WOULD NOT happen to him or her. Next moment their friend, mother, or other family member finds them dead, blue or white, with their tongue hanging out, eyes rolled back into their head, and a needle sticking out of a hole...in their arm...which has a stream of blood running down it finding its way to the floor where they are greeted with a reflection of themselves due to the massive puddle of blood!!!]

P.S. May God bless each and every one of you. I pray that we all find sobriety, peace, love, and ultimately God by the end of it all. You all try and have a wonderful day/night!
      GHPete -
      Another first time commenter, Long-time subscriber, and long-time poly substance self-medicator/abuser.

Many of my treatment plans have been largely inspired through this website. This includes primarily what I consider to be the most effective and symptom free withdrawal from a torturous long-term, real physical, emotional and mental dependence, GHB. (With the obvious help and guidance of my infinitely patient but open-minded and wonderful GP)

While their loss is substantial and sends shocks throuought the community, I think we honour these people's memories by hearing their stories, taking truths from their trial and errors, and ultimately learning from their sacrifices.

Love and Bluelight.