Bluelight

Thread: [Done] The Bluelight Survey - We need your input!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    my questions 
    1. Have you ever overdosed from a street drug? (an awful experience)

2. If so would you have consumed this drug had you known the quality and quantity of the substances, or with this information would you have consumed less of this drug?

3. If the distribution of recreational drugs were formally controlled are you capable as an individual of using these substances without detriment to the quality of life that you and your immediate social group enjoy?

4. Would you accept a distribution model that provided substances to users in a medical facility wherein detailed personal and medical information could be taken to monitor your health and provide vital information to health care professionals to monitor the effectiveness of a such a program? (we do not want drugs to be sold like legal stimulants are now - that would just get the scheme shut down by wankers who can't handle their drug use and subsequently fuck other peoples lives up).

5. Using this information would you accept a universal model that would allow health care professionals to determine if your usage was beyond your capacity, medically and socially, and thus limit your intake of substances to avoid adverse affects to your health and lifestyle?

6. If your usage of controlled substances was affecting your lifestyle would you accept consuling and treatment?

7. How would you like this to be offered?

8. Would you agree that controlled distribution of substances, and education of their dangers, would have limited or stopped dangerous behaviour you encountered or exhibited in the previously uncontrolled regime? (i.e. excessive use of unknown drugs, unsafe sex or driving?)

9. Please list in order of significance, the motivating factors that cause your consumption of drugs:

1) Pleasure
    2) relaxation
    3) religious or spiritual reasons
    4) medical use (i.e. perceived lessening of symptoms of depression/panic attacks/asthma - or if other please indicate)
    5) denial
    6) social occasion (used to empathy / relaxation
    7) Other (list)

10) Are you addicted or dependant on drugs? (i.e. do you feel a need to consume drugs on a regular basis and experience negative issues when you do not)

11) Does this impact on your life in a negative fashion (i.e. are you in debt, or do you lie/steal, ostrize from friends & family?)

12) How many times this year have you purchased drugs?

13) Of these times did you receive what you expected?

14) Would you take more drugs if legalised and distributed by the state?

15) When did you first begin taking drugs

16) Have you found that the reasons for consuming drugs since this time have changed

17) have you increased or decreased your usage since your first use of drugs?

1 On a scale of 1-10 (10 being good and 1 being bad) how would you rate your overall experience with drugs

19) Do you believe overall your life has improved through your use of drug of drugs?

20) would the creation of draconian drug laws (i.e. long prison sentences, higher conviction rates, larger fines) stop or reduce your drug use?

21) Irrespective of harm reduction, controlled distribution or draconian drug laws will you continue to use drugs?

(last question)

22) If drugs were legalised would the quality of your life improve, and if so by how much? (financially, socially or medically?)
    Last edited by chugs; 22-09-2004 at 07:25.

2. Collapse Details

Do you think some recreational drugs should be legalised? If so how should they be distributed?
    What were your reasons for trying drugs the first time? Have these reasons changed over the years?
    What would make you stop taking drugs? Would you ever stop taking drugs or would you just reduce the instances?

3. Collapse Details

Very good questions Chugs. Well thought out.

4. Collapse Details

This is such a fantastic idea. Gives me a lot more faith in my job - interviewing people who use drugs with a standard questionnaire that not even I (let alone the people I'm interviewing) have any control over... can get a bit depressing.

There are so many exciting partnerships happening in drug-related research at the moment in Australia, that hopefully we will be asking some really good questions.

I feel pretty strongly about involving everyone in the research process at all points - it hasn't happened in the past and I hope this indicates a way forward

5. Collapse Details

There is alot of talk about pot smoking being the gateway into other drug usage, but I for one never engaged in it.

What about a question on your drug use progression - so we can gauge if there really are any stepping stones or patterns through use of various drug types.

6. Collapse Details

Questions about people's parent's attitude to / experience with drugs. Also whether people have talked about / done drugs (and if so which, in what environment, and who bought the drug for who) with their parents.

7. Collapse Details

Have you ever used drugs to get sex?

Have you ever used sex to get drugs?

Do you consider alcohol to be more acceptable than the drugs you take and why?

What are the positive/negative effects of the drugs you take, personally?

Have you ever prioritised drugs over work/school?

Do you use drugs to help you work/study?

Do you drive home after using drugs?

These are just some off the top of my head, I'll add more later.

Nice thread btw

8. Collapse Details
    The Bluelight Survey - We need your input! 
    Question
    Surveys, surveys, surveys. Seems like there always a new bunch of lab coats that want us to help em with a survey. For some time now we've been happy to help them out, as one thing that Bluelight has always strived for is transperancy, and the only way for "them" to find out about "us" is to participate. The only problem is that we don't get to decide which questions we are asked. The time has come to change that.

Bluelight, in partnership with Dr Cameron Duff of the Australian Drug Foundation and Dr David Caldicott of the Royal Adeliade Hospital, as well as many other like minded people in the harm reduction community, have begun developing a major survey tool which will allow the users themselves to have input into the research. Also we will allow the resulting data to be used by anyone who wants it, as quite a bit of the survey data we have helped provide over the last couple of years has never been released.

So how can you help? By letting us know what you want to be asked. For example it has always bugged me that no survey ever done here has ever asked"Do you test your pills before you buy them?" or "Have you ever refused to buy a pill because of a test result?". What bugs you? Let us know by posting in this thread. Any and all feedback is welcome.
    Last edited by honEbee; 24-09-2004 at 21:29.

9. Collapse Details
    The Bluelight Survey--- "any and all feedback is welcome" 
    Earth
    Surveys, surveys, surveys. Seems like there always a new bunch of lab coats that want us to help em with a survey. For some time now we've been happy to help them out, as one thing that Bluelight has always strived for is transperancy, and the only way for "them" to find out about "us" is to participate. The only problem is that we don't get to decide which questions we are asked. The time has come to change that.

Bluelight, in partnership with Dr Cameron Duff of the Australian Drug Foundation and Dr David Caldicott of the Royal Adeliade Hospital, as well as many other like minded people in the harm reduction community, have begun developing a major survey tool which will allow the users themselves to have input into the research. Also we will allow the resulting data to be used by anyone who wants it, as quite a bit of the survey data we have helped provide over the last couple of years has never been released.

So how can you help? By letting us know what you want to be asked. For example it has always bugged me that no survey ever done here has ever asked"Do you test your pills before you buy them?" or "Have you ever refused to buy a pill because of a test result?". What bugs you? Let us know by posting in this thread. Any and all feedback is welcome.
    Original thread in Aus. Discussion (check here especially for some sample questions)

10. Collapse Details

I want to know whether most people feel that their drug use has improved their quality of life or not. Which drugs were responsible?

11. Collapse Details

Ok, a couple off the top of my head - not necessarily related or in any particular order:

(could all be changed to whatever drug)

1) Do you feel there is enough publicly available, accurate information on street drugs provided by schools/government?

2) Were you aware of the potential effects/dangers of recreational drugs the first time you used one?
    2.1) If so, where did you get this information?

3) Has taking a drug ever caused you to break the law (in a way other than the act of consuming the drug itself)?

4) Have you ever taken a recreational drug despite knowing that the overall effects on your wellbeing will be adverse?

5) Has your point of view on drugs changed over the past 1-3 years?
    5.1) If so, why and in what way?

12. Collapse Details

I really hate it how surveys dont ask u questions such as..

What have been the positive effects on your life because of drugs?

and

What have been the negative effects on your life becacuse of drugs?

I find these questions to be extremely relevant because I find I have lots to tell about both... and im sure many others would agree.

Thanks

13. Collapse Details

I'd like to see surveys that question a respondants education, employment and criminal record. Touchy subjects I know, but I'd like to have some evidence published to give an indication that not all drug users are uneducated, unemployed thugs and hooligans.

14. Collapse Details

A truly balanced research survey needs to be created from an independant 3rd party to avoid bias. As we form a significant stakeholder in the overall debate its difficult for our questions to be created in a manner that isn't designed to illicit a certain response. BUt for my 2c.

All survey should include detailed Demographic and Geographic information as well as some simple psychographic questions. I haven't seen or participated in one yet that completely draws a picture of who I am as a person. This information is crucial in developing a picture of what drugs are consumed and why.

15. Collapse Details

GREAT THREAD!

I'm really pleased to see this thread and all the thoughtful responses! I'm bumping this for now, but will definitely put some thought into a reply soon.

BigTrancer

16. Collapse Details

Do you think drug dependacy / addiction should be treated as a medical issue rather than a criminal?
    --
    Have you ever injected any drug (recreationally)? And if so with what frequency, which drug(s), and over what period of time?
    --

i'll add some more when i get a moment to think. bit scattered now.

17. Collapse Details

^^^ I agree with Psydo G and Airwalk, I think any survey should try and establish the lifestyle (aside from drug use) of the particpant.

We all see the media portray drug users as unemployed, uneducated, or criminals, and while there is obviously a portion of users that fit this description, I'm consistantly amazed by the intellect, level of education (both about their drug use, as well as formal qualifications) and general well-roundedness of people I meet who regularly take recreational drugs.

I think the data about peoples lifestyle, job and criminal history, referenced with their responses about their own drug use would prove pretty interesting.

As for my questions...

1) Is your family aware of your drug use?
    1a) Do they take drugs themselves?
    1b) Do you feel you could turn to them for help if your experience turned bad (OD, addiction, etc)

2) Do your friends take drugs? If so do you take drugs together because you are friends, or are you friends because you take drugs together.

I'll post more, but I keep getting sidetracked at work, so I'll sign this one off for now.

18. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Things that I personally want to know.... "why do you take drugs" has already been posted, but I think that is incredibly important. It's more than your socio-economic status, age, location, education, peer influences... but is it a mindset, a personality or genetic disposition, a particular attitude?

Also: (all pertaining to illegal drugs)
    * At what age/when do you think you will stop using drugs? Why?
    * Do you identify with a sort of 'drug culture' in your local area/city?
    * Do you have close friends who don't take drugs, and what is their stance on drug-taking, particularly yours, and how does this affect your relationship, if at all? (You could generalise this to: how do your family and friends' attitudes towards drugs affect your drug use/your own attitude towards drug-taking?)
    * In what ways do drugs/drug-taking affect your day-to-day life?
    * In what way has drugs (particularly psychedelic drugs) changed your perception of the world/life/etc, both positively and negatively?

and for my benefit
    * Are we better people for having explored a range of human mental life through drugs?

19. Collapse Details

The social context of drug use is well-known to drug users, but for some reason gets ignored through policy, up the chain of command, towards places where decisions happen.

Doing research into the social context of drug use - eg. Cameron's theme of the normalisation of drug use - needs not only to be expanded upon - but we need to look at how to get the recommendations through the heads of important people!

A large portion of researchers think similarly (though not all) - but
    1. commissioning studies that answer the hard questions - and can provide answers which might lead to obvious, but taboo, conclusions - is difficult when most research is funded by government-influenced bodies
    2. even if the research is done and complete and leads to controversial conclusions, how do we get that through to government and leaders?

I guess the answers lie in patience, as over time, things are bound to change... I just don't wanna wait that long!

*again* this is a top idea!!

PS. some of the ideas people have given above have been explored in some research I'm familiar with (although no harm in asking similar questions again, as the answers differ between populations and across time). So it's good to see that *some* of the questions people are keen to have looked at are part of the current australian drug research.... but many are not, and hopefully this initiative will go some way to address this.

20. Collapse Details

Originally posted by MazDan
    Here are a few to start with. May come back with more after a bit of a think and after checking they arent already on here.

1. At what age did u first use any drug or alchol or smoke.

2. Prior to your doing each of the above........what was your attitude to them?

3. How did u arrive at the point where u actually used each of the above?? (ie, I always had a negative idea of drugs and would never take them. A friend whom I trusted told me he used them and spent time teaching me the facts...and invited me to try. I did.....

4. What was ur parents attitude to drugs?

5. Did you feel that your parents were truly educated about drugs.

6. Were you able to talk to your parents about your use of drugs?

7. Was there anyone outside of your group of drug users that you could talk to about it?

8. Have u ever used drugs alone?

9. If u have then when was the first time and when was it in relatriuon to the first time u ever took drugs at all.......and how many times have u done that since.

10. Why did u take drugs alone?

11. Why did u try in the first place??

12. as your use continued, did the reasons change and if so how did they eveolve for u?? (ie maybe first time to experiment then next time to enjoy the same feeling and maybe 12 months down track cos I was hooked or whatever)

13 Have u ever stolen in order to get drugs?

14. Have u ever sold drugs in order to try and support ur habit?

15. Over the years, how much money would u think u have spent on drugs?
    Nice work, I think this one would open a few eyes

21. Collapse Details

Yes marijuanna, caffine, and mdma..

22. Collapse Details

1. Do you consider yourself to be a responsible drug user?

2. Do you partake in harm reduction techniques and strategies?

3. Do you know what to do if somebody overdoses?)

4. How often do you do (drug in question)? Do you think this is a responsible amount?

5. How much do you take?

Edit:

6. Do you test your substances before taking them? (Probably not so much weed, but other substances definately).

Edit 2:

7. Do you have any plans to stop taking drugs in the future? If so, at what age? (Roughly)

8. Describe what it feels like to be under the influence of (drug in question).

Edit 3

9. If you live with your parents, do they know about your drug use?
    Last edited by Brendan; 04-10-2004 at 15:08.

23. Collapse Details

^^ READ THE ORIGINAL POST, FFS

24. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I feel if we are going to ask people if their life has improved through their drug use/which drugs... we should also be asked if we believe our life has got worse through our drug use, and by which drugs. It would be nice to have a balanced survey as I think it adds more credibility.

25. Collapse Details

Do people think, that some drugs may have use in theraphy? Like MDMA and psychedelics(LSD,Mushrooms etc).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast