Bluelight

Thread: Help Support Erowid

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Help Support Erowid 
    Flame
    Hey everyone,

Earlier today, a Bluelight member made a donation to Erowid and, at the same time, suggested that other Bluelight members/readers might also become Erowid members if only they knew that we needed your support.

http://www.erowid.org/donations/

Now, I really don't mean to start some sort of controversial flame-war by asking people to donate to Erowid. Although it seems like that's often what happens. But we do need the support of those who use Erowid, find it a useful resource, and want to see it continue to be maintained and developed. Donations of any size are valuable to us, whether it's a $10 paypal donation, a $25 student membership, or a larger amount.

The main reason to donate is to help provide the resources (money) needed to support the research, writing, editing, transcribing, publishing, machine maintenance, software, and office supplies needed to keep this site in the air. It's a big project. It's run on a shoe-string budget. But there's 2.75 full-time crew working round the clock to develop it, and that takes funding.

We do ok...so far the rent gets paid...but finances are often tight and right now is one of those times.

To encourage people to join we've set up the Erowid membership system like the public radio/tv model. We offer membership gifts (Erowid mugs, t-shirts, books, etc) to those who contribute. We have a members' newsletter, published twice a year, that includes information about Erowid and articles about psychoactive plants and chemicals. The new issue, coming back from the printer this week, is 28 pages long and includes an article about the results of the eight LSD surveys we conducted last fall, an article about the value and challenges of collecting experience reports, info about Albert Hofmann's 100th birthday celebration in Basel, legal updates, and several other articles.

So...if you're an Erowid user, and you can afford it, and you think the project is worth supporting...become a member! If you don't feel like contributing, we're still happy to provide the free service to you. There are certainly many ways to contribute to the community....becoming an Erowid member is only one...but it's one we could really use right now.

http://www.erowid.org/donations/

peace,
    fire
    Last edited by Church; 05-01-2007 at 12:19.

2. Collapse Details

I just sent in $25, and I'm dirt poor at the moment.

The rest of you guys, put off a few tabs of acid and help out. The dissemination of information is a noble cause (and is especially important if we ever hope to see some drug law reform).

3. Collapse Details

I [heart] my "Drug Geek" T-shirt.

4. Collapse Details

donating to erowid... a noble cause

5. Collapse Details

Yeah, yeah yeah.... I'm earning now, I'll do it tonight.

6. Collapse Details

I would be more than happy to give some money to erowid, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I don't have a credit card, and a money order is a massive hassle as I live in Canada. I'm gonna avoid pay pal, as it confuses me. Any suggestions, or is mail the the only way?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hewhomustnotbenamed
    I would be more than happy to give some money to erowid, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I don't have a credit card, and a money order is a massive hassle as I live in Canada. I'm gonna avoid pay pal, as it confuses me. Any suggestions, or is mail the the only way?
    Well, international donations without paypal or a credit card are definitely trickier. The only other option that's really possible is cash in the mail (Canadian currency's no problem). Some people are into that and others would never consider it...so it's up to you. We haven't ever had a problem with it that I know of, but I suppose it's possible cash would get stolen and we'd never know. Either way, thanks for the thought.

fire

8. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    Paypal is very easy to set up, FYI. All you need is a bank account. They put two small amounts of money into it, and you look at your bank statement (or online bank statement) and report the amounts added to verify. Voila! It's done.

I've donated before, long ago, but I just donated again, because Erowid is awesome.

9. Collapse Details

I'll fire one off to you on payday. I've been meaning to do this for some time now... I don't know why I've never gotten around to it (aside from being near broke most of the time).

10. Collapse Details

saturday ill be sending some. i miss getting the erowid extracts in the mail, it was such a pleasant suprise! and i cant wait for the new one.

11. Collapse Details

as soon as i get a job . ive been meaning to do it for a while now.

12. Collapse Details

Don't worry about asking you guys deserve all the support we can give I'm very short of money this month but i'll promise ill make a donation in July, defintely. A erowid t-shirt would be very nice too ill donate at least $40 for one

13. Collapse Details

Yup, I donated $40, (and I live in a shitty country where $40US is a bit of money), surely someone can beat me...

14. Collapse Details

I donated $50 a few months back and got a reet nice mug - definitely worth the money!

15. Collapse Details

Great, so am i right in saying all of us who can't afford to donate to erowid don't get to use it anymore? I hope its not one of those 'Only members who have donated can log in' sites now. I was only just starting to use it recently. and found it very interesting, but I have no money to give at this moment.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SmC
    Great, so am i right in saying all of us who can't afford to donate to erowid don't get to use it anymore? I hope its not one of those 'Only members who have donated can log in' sites now. I was only just starting to use it recently. and found it very interesting, but I have no money to give at this moment.
    no.

17. Collapse Details

That's a relief!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 7zark7
    I donated $50 a few months back and got a reet nice mug - definitely worth the money!
    Yeah, an excellent mug - it's fucking huge & contains loads more coffee than any mug I've ever had before. I'll actually set about getting my wife one as a birthday present as it'll be ideal conmsidering how much coffee she drinks and will really get some funny looks at her workplace!

I think mine cost $40 (£24) at that time, so it's not exactly putting yourself into poverty (look at it this way, it's only a bit more than an eighth of skunk, so plenty of people shouldn't be too put out by that much). After the PDSA/RSPCA/animal charities, Erowid is the next on my list for charitable donations.

19. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    I think mine cost $40 (£24) at that time, so it's not exactly putting yourself into poverty (look at it this way, it's only a bit more than an eighth of skunk
    You lucky Europeans...

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SmC
    No, the site will not be members-only. I tried to say this in my original message...

"So...if you're an Erowid user, and you can afford it, and you think the project is worth supporting...become a member! If you don't feel like contributing, we're still happy to provide the free service to you."

We've had a membership system for people to help support the project for more than six years. This isn't a new process and we have no interest in or intention of blocking access to non-members. We're all about providing public information for free. It's just that providing free information isn't free.

fire

21. Collapse Details

so many schedules, so little time.

support erowid!

22. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewhomustnotbenamed
    It's ok, you're excused from feeling the need to donate. You're Canadian afterall.

23. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    im already a supporter, i got a book out of it although i cant remember which one

24. Collapse Details

Sticking this thread as to get it continued attention.

25. Collapse Details

Yeah I got my Erowid T-Shirt that way

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast