Bluelight

Synthetic Cannabinoids Study

Thread: How to improve Words?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I would love to see a few things here in words

a word of the day thread. I recieve a word of the day by email from dictionary.com and it has been instramental in my development as a writter. I often struggle to present a different side of something that is ubiquitous and cannot find the words to express those things. A thesaurus does help but it is limiting sometimes a completely new word with its resonance and connotation can make all the difference to the tone and structure of my poem.

Another thing i would love to see a kinda project involving two threads. I know each of us has come up with a one sentence rejoiner or something that just spoke to us in that once sentence as a loose end but find that incorporation is neigh impossible. Id like one thread for that while the other thread would be the group collective. each of us picking one or more depending on agreed up rules or lack there of and structuring a poem.

Also we have all this great poetry that we are posting from our favorite authors it would be nice to have a homage thread in which we use the style of said author as the basis of our poem and then post the influence below it. I think we can not only learn from this but grow as well.

2. Collapse Details

bah, so much poetry...
    i click on most stuff hoping it wont be poetry so i have something to read, and stuff... but muchos disappointments.
    not saying that whats here is bad or anything, its just not my thing.
    need more stories. yeah stories.

3. Collapse Details

i wrote this a while ago my first attempt at a parable. i wanted to animate it or draw a comic book from it but its kinda dense. tell me what you think

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=270371

4. Collapse Details

hi
    i really dont come here often but i would like too get back to writing

so here is my thought ...

some of you are familiar with whats going on in SO
    thing like that :
    Bluelight weekly photography contest
    and
    Bluelight weekly 2-D Design contest ...

i thing we should do a :
    Bluelight weekly words contest

i remember like 12 years ago in school we had a theme each week (in french class (im french canadian))
    and we were suppose to write a small text around it, and i ended up with some good stuff

some of those theme were (approximatively) :
    - if only i could...
    - traveling
    - then again
    - now that your gone
    - to be honest
    - whatever it takes

so i think we should try that
    but im new to words so ill ask what up before starting a thread for this
    so ????

ninja

5. Collapse Details

^i like that. i'd participate for sure. good idea

6. Collapse Details

^cool
    im not familiar with the traffic in word so, do you think we should have a new theme each week or each 2 week ?
    and i would need a mod approbation for a poll !

7. Collapse Details

I'd say every couple weeks but I think we need more opinions first.

8. Collapse Details

Words
    I think that'd be a fantastic idea.

9. Collapse Details

I think in order to get really deep reaching stuff it might be prudent to have a longer time frame. I like the sound of two weeks. It allows us to polish our work. I think this idea is great. Some of the ideas could be a phrase we need to incorporate or a word that we wouldnt nomally use. I think the key here is to both take people out of their element both stylistically as well enforce what they already know so perhaps every 2 weeks we have a contest. then the first contest of the month is something we are familiar with writting basically a thematic approach and the second one might be a reflective bit of text something we may not be familiar or comfortable encorporating. I think this would be great for us.

10. Collapse Details

this forum seems to be in better shape than i've seen in a while. if i can remember i'll contribute as much as i can. remembering. that's just the thing. heh. do believe i've digressed into a bats in the 'ole belfry sort of kinker.

11. Collapse Details

I agree the forum is coming along nicely but i think it was from a period of latch key syndrome when we were making the moderator changes they had to moderate themselves and they did so by being brilliant artists as well as commentators.

12. Collapse Details

wow traffic is slow, 2 years might be good,, jk
    ok, i might start this "cuntest" business

well yes, im going for it
    ill re-think a lil bit about it and start something
    might get more popular with times
    but even if we are just 4
    realm
    New
    liquidphil1
    you are already 3 bluelighters i would care to read,
    you all made your proof as worthy individual,,

and i'll hit the bong
    and in not too long
    to see what comes

so the game is on
    and time will come
    to bang this gong

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ninjadanslarbretabar
    hi

i thing we should do a :
    Bluelight weekly words contest

ninja
    I'd like to see this.

14. Collapse Details

I have invented a new word. Honglamoid

15. Collapse Details

how to improve words? expand the appropriate material!

make it "words and images," the same rules would apply, but instead of presenting a piece of writing, one could present a work of visual (or even audio) art, and ask for critique and or feedback.

it seems so perfect, it could fit right here! the atmosphere is perfect for a more broad fine arts section of bluelight. more mods would need to be acquired to handle the new influx of different mediums, of course. the mods would specialize in certain sub-forums, art, words, and music (homemade, not the same as the music discussions already in place).

is that an unreasonable idea? amd i always ask myself before i say something like this, "whats the worst that could happen?" in this case, wed just change the forum back to the way it was--thats not too much work.

16. Collapse Details

^that is a wonderful idea.

17. Collapse Details

hey wesmdow,
    well i can see merits in your suggestion, and would definitly not rule out a trial I am cautious towareds the idea.

my initial thoughts are that words with pictures would be like sex with the lights on. the idea of words is purely that, words. the imagination and imagry that a praticular piece creates in your mind is what makes a piece brilliant.

someone who can write something that everyone can invisage is truly talented and I think that is what in a sense many people who write try to do.

The fear in images is the addition of tone. The beauty of writing is that its interpretation comes from little use of description of the actual delivery. its up to the reader to decide what's happy, angry, sexy, sarcastic, vicous, traumatic, compassionate, selfish etc. Its part of the magic that readers get. Adding images can imply a tone which can difuse what different people would normally interpret. It can take away individualistic interpretation and force it down a path that readers may find uncomfortable.

All this said, I'd be interested in giving it a go, but firstly would like to hear some more opinions over the next week.

Thankyou for your positive suggestion, its greatly appreciated. We seek to better ourselves.

Cheers,
    Col

18. Collapse Details

instead of saying "yes" you could say YESS!!! to more emhasise it

19. Collapse Details

Often, I wish I could post my poetry so that it looks a certain way on the page (most specifically, irregular/long spacing between words and/or lines).

*Imagine, for instance, that the underscore below is absent, and insert a long space in its stead:

pit. pat.
    pit__________________pat

.....correct me if this is already possible.....

20. Collapse Details

change the underscore to a white color i think.

21. Collapse Details

^feels like i should have thought of that.
    merci.

22. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lystra
    Often, I wish I could post my poetry so that it looks a certain way on the page (most specifically, irregular/long spacing between words and/or lines).

*Imagine, for instance, that the underscore below is absent, and insert a long space in its stead:

pit. pat.
    pit__________________pat

.....correct me if this is already possible.....
    from one of my journal entry (added white)
    damn how is rhythm represented in that inexpressive "police" text format
    i mean the faster you type the closer the letter should be
    (the slower the fur_ther ____ap_a _r__t )
    so you could see the rhythm between the line
    the smile between the frame
    but the thing is you can simply write it down and take a pic...
    much more personified version will ensue

23. Collapse Details

I agree with col. While it is tempting to put pictures with words as our media driven society is so primed to accept i think it bucks the trend of what words is. Also there are an amazing amount of art contests in the other forum. Perhaps a cross forum challenge would be nice. Where the people from S/O did a piece of art and the people from words wrote poetry and we traded the mediums to do the opposite with.

words would give their works for S/O to illustrate and S/O would give there illustrations to words to write something about them.

24. Collapse Details

Folks, instead of using "color=white", use "color=#f2f0ff" to make your spaces the same color as the post background.

25. Collapse Details

^ cool thanks for the info : )

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast