Bluelight

Thread: How to improve Words?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Yeah, I was speechless too when I found out.

2. Collapse Details

I have one tip, as written by Virginia Woolf:

'If you wish to write, READ'

3. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter <Third_Eye_Lasik>'s Avatar
    This is a great forum. Bullshit aside, this forum requires less pretentious sifting.
    In this arena the actual poster is irrelevant when can you feel their raw emotions becomming relatable. In all seriousness I have cried (or slightly teared) upon reading a few of the word workings below.

4. Collapse Details

I have one tip, as written by Virginia Woolf:

'If you wish to write, READ'
    Gosh, so true. Nothing inspires me like reading.

5. Collapse Details

Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    I know that this forum has historically been about individuals, sharing of themselves, and getting feedback on their personal work - that's done well. There is also a history of various attempts to build some sort of 'local members' interaction in discussions, but it usually fizzles out after a few days participation by only a very few people

But, I'll offer one more 'group' initiative idea - writing competitions. Yeah, SO and LOUNGE are the prime examples of 'competitions' on the site which generate reasonable participation and a larger following of readers, and I'm not so sure how well that will translate to WORDS, but it could be worth a try (and if it fails it can always be kicked over to one of those other forums). But we could easily host a 'poet of the month' or whatever based on submissions on a given subject being voted on by the WORDS regulars. Or, if the spirit here is set against competitive events and more geared towards supportive efforts, we could have a group work of 'create a story' where each person adds a paragraph or mini-chapter then the next person moves it along? This comes from another site where they held a competition for a custom title based on submissions focused on the following criteria:
    - Under 10k words (or 1k, I forget)
    - Done in a given timeframe (1 month?)
    - Given a cast and setting (key names from the site staff or well-known regulars, and some theme for the competition...such as
    • Cpt. Hoptis of the mighty SS Panda
    • Lt. Finder, ship navigator
    • Special Envoy SA, international interpreter
    • Sgt. Alisdair, ship engineer and resident funny accent
    • Lt. Infinite Jest, Vulcan village idiot
    • Cpl TLB, janitorial staff (first 'extra' to die in the episode)
    • This episode's journey is for the StarShip Panda's flight to the land of scantily clad co-eds in search of volunteers for working at the local McDonald's Solar Cafe and the effects these new recruits had on business operations there.

I mean, that's a pretty damn weak suggestion on my part, but hopefully you creative types can come up with something better that might help build more 'forum regular' interaction and possibly draw in more people to this area. Thoughts?

Edit: typos driving me nurtz
    Last edited by TheLoveBandit; 30-12-2008 at 06:27.

6. Collapse Details

Words
    Sounds promising...sounds awesome, actually.

7. Collapse Details

Marvelous idea. Lets see how it bounces around for a bit.

8. Collapse Details

I enjoy coining my own terms

9. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    On the theme of group stuff; why not a group poem? Better yet, it could be unapproved after each person writes a line, then after several contributions merged together to create some kind of group-unconcious thingy....

Hmm, maybe not.

Poetry comp?

10. Collapse Details

Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    Okey, can we extend the three thread rule to four maybe?

11. Collapse Details

Words
    be patient...maybe you can try out the blog function that we've been invited to use.

12. Collapse Details

^Yeah, but...but...ah blah

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by swilow View Post
    Okey, can we extend the three thread rule to four maybe?
    Speaking of which, what happened to the forum guidelines? They seem to have come 'unstuck'...

14. Collapse Details

^^damn, I really am add..didn't even notice that However, we really only have two..be nice and don't plaster the front page, lol

Swilow, I all of the ideas you've suggested. As for the 3 threads rule, if someone stretches it a bit I tend to look the other way. Just as long as it doesn't get out of control.

As soon as the story comp is over, I was going to run a poetry comp. I'll see what I can do about the group poetry idea as well.

15. Collapse Details

Words
    I kinda like the three thread rule...makes things simple and creates a uniformity of variety.

16. Collapse Details

^^sounds good to me

17. Collapse Details

Australia & Asia Drug Discussion
    I'm interested in getting another competition up and running when we're all ready.

Obviously, we can except all forms of writing, but to encourage people that don't write stories maybe make it suggestive that all entries are included now matter how big or small.

18. Collapse Details

Words
    That would be good. I'd like another competition in here...maybe with some cross-forum linkage.

19. Collapse Details

im pressed for time right now and can't read through these four pages but I think ive come up with some improvements for this forum. The main problem I see whenever I come here is the lack of organization. Take a look at the trip reports forum or the Film and television forum. Both deal with a wide variety of topics but both are much more organized than this forum. why? because they have rules on how to title their threads.

I think we should follow a structure similar to those two forum sections. If you want to start a topic on a book maybe it could be titled something like this "Novel, fiction - Ubik" or nonfiction or whatever with the title, then the mods could turn it into a poll just like in the film forums with a 1-5 star rating system and discussion would follow.

if its and original piece you want to post, then title it something like "original, poem - blah blah" or original, short story - blah blah"

I think enforcing thread title rules would help this forum A LOT, and eventually lead to it being more active. having a sticky topic that actually includes most of the book discussion in an entire words forum is a clear hadicap.
    Last edited by grimble crumble; 03-08-2009 at 03:50.

20. Collapse Details

^ I totally agree with that.

21. Collapse Details

two things grimble. Words doesn't get a lot of traffic and people's interest in books is very broad and spread thin through the population. I can foresee many book threads getting zero or one response. Also, is it really so bad to click a thread and not know if it's going to be poetry or a short story? To me, it doesn't seem like the work (enforcing that rule) to reward ratio is high enough.

But I'll see what other people think and go with it

22. Collapse Details

Your right Mehm words doesnt get a lot of traffic, but I believe the reason for that is because the bulk of words consists of rough draft poems full of teen angst or the drug fueled psychedelic ramblings of psychonauts that havent put much thought into them other than the raw material that was thrown in fornt of them by their substance.

Granted there are some real great writers in here but I think the main problem is that 95% of this forum is dedicated to orginals while all the thousands of great books in existance are limited to one thread. I guesse the titling rules would be icing on the cake while that is the real issue.

thanks for taking it into consideration though, I know moderating is more time consuming than those of us who just come here throw down one or two posts then log out.

just throwin it out there

23. Collapse Details

Words
    I understand where you're coming from, but(and correct me if I'm wrong) I also have used and have seen Words used as a therapeutic outlet, which might be hampered by having it more structured. Just my 2c.

24. Collapse Details

Grimble, If you wanted to start a discussion on a single book or author, I'm sure no one would stop you Maybe having the single thread sets a precedent though. However, its not like we have a rule against threads dealing with only one book or one author.

25. Collapse Details

Good points, grimble crumble.

FWIW we did introduce thread tags many moons ago. Didn't really catch on then, but I reckon it's definitely worth another shot.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast