Bluelight

Synthetic Cannabinoids Study

Thread: How to improve Words?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by grimble crumble View Post
    I believe the reason for that is because the bulk of words consists of rough draft poems full of teen angst or the drug fueled psychedelic ramblings of psychonauts that havent put much thought into them
    but isn't this primarily a drug-forum? if you're a real writer, then you must be familiar with the predominant writing forums out there (right?); there are tons and tons.

this seems more like a place for people to vent or express themselves in a pseudo-literary way -- not to discredit the quality of anyone's writing by any means.

tbh, though, I wish Hunter Thompson was a bluelighter. that would make my day/night (considering I never sleep...)

2. Collapse Details

I wish I had more to add than this, but both grimble and leiphos have really good points. I would like to see more discussion of specific books and authors outside of the one devoted thread. Outside of sharing interests, there are suggestions inherent to such threads that could inspire self-improvement in one's own writing (god knows I need this). At the same time, realistically this is mainly a drug forum and I recognize that the therapeutic potential of words is anything but slight.

Of course, if you want change you have to do it yourself. There's no use in waiting around for someone else to do it. I'll try my best to contribute book/author discussion in the near future, but somehow plans like that have a way of never happening I've thought of it many times before, but it is kinda discouraging when there's nothing else like that in the forum.

3. Collapse Details

lol, like I said, there really isn't a rule against creating a thread for a single author or book.

4. Collapse Details

Australia & Asia Drug Discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehm View Post
    lol, like I said, there really isn't a rule against creating a thread for a single author or book.
    In fact, it's encouraged that you do so.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mehm View Post
    lol, like I said, I realize that.

6. Collapse Details

What is holding this forum back is a dearth of good writers on Bluelight, and, more specifically, rule #3 in the forum's guidelines. That rule eliminates the potential for any serious discussion to take place regarding people's poems and stories.

7. Collapse Details

Words
    Well, I see where you're coming from. However, there are ways to phrase criticisms that aren't negative, and I'm a firm believer that the best way to get a good writer is to encourage them to write. I know that positive encouragement prompted me to write more than I would have normally.

And remember, not everyone is trained in creative and poetic writing. I never passed tenth grade personally, so I don't know technique outside of hearsay. A lot of writing is cathartic, and recognizing that may encourage people to write outside of a cathartic state and open up to critique.

Once again, I see where you're coming from. But there are other reasons to write than to polish the skill of writing.

8. Collapse Details

And I definitely see where you're coming from, Samael. This is definitely more of a therapeutic outlet for druggies than it is a writing forum. I have used it as such myself, in terms of posting poems. I expect others would agree with me.

An example of a quality, serious writing forum - pretty much my personal favorite, in fact:

http://www.everypoet.org/pffa/index.php?

I don't think Words should be anything like that forum, I'm just providing an example for context. I understand very well the value of art as a tool for expression, and not perfection. This forum, and its intent, is maybe the most wonderful part of Bluelight, in my opinion.

9. Collapse Details

Australia & Asia Drug Discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by leiphos View Post
    What is holding this forum back is a dearth of good writers on Bluelight, and, more specifically, rule #3 in the forum's guidelines. That rule eliminates the potential for any serious discussion to take place regarding people's poems and stories.
    We mods were discussing this rule recently, and we're discussing on whether or not we should remove the only positive comments allowed rule.

One thing we agreed mutually on was that in general the contributors to this forum aren't really ever negative anyway. It's very rare for someone to get a warning or infraction in here.
    Generally speaking, any criticism is constructive anyway.

Can you please elaborate for me how you feel this rule is a hindrance to the forum.

I am genuinely interested in your opinion

Thanks.

3. POSITIVE CRITICISM ONLY
    The moderators would like to keep the atmosphere in this forum as POSITIVE as possible. We don’t want to discourage anyone from posting, and we understand that some matters are very personal and may be difficult for people to post. Therefore, please only reply when you can do so in a POSITIVE manner. If you don’t like a piece of writing, then move on. Negative comments will be modified or deleted as the moderators see fit. Our guiding principle is to keep drama to a minimum.

10. Collapse Details

I'm not prepared answer your question, lostNfound. Sorry. But I have lots to say on the subject, and I do plan on answering it... Tomorrow.

But a thought just came to me, and it relates to this thread: What difference is there between posting one's drug-fueled rantings (or, stream-of-consciousness writings) in the Words forum, and simply posting in one's Bluelight blog/journal? I feel like lots of people use Words to get their would-be journal entries read.

I post this here because I'm sure you have thought of this yourselves, mods. Assuming that whatever one posts in Words qualifies as relevant, literary material (with obvious exceptions), there is no difference between this forum and a personal journal/blog, at least in my understanding of the forum's guidelines.

Correct me if I am wrong. I have read the guidelines (and a good number of the threads) very closely, but perhaps I am missing something. Can any of the mods help clarify this distinction. Where is the line drawn?

11. Collapse Details

Words
    The line is drawn by the audience. People who write come here, where Blogs is much less about writing and more about socializing through the windows in other people's lives. That's how I see it.

12. Collapse Details

A positive criticism is still a criticism. I think the construction that Leiphos has been posting is various threads is acceptable. As long as you aren't telling people their work sucks, you should be ok.

13. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    I've never understood rule #3 either.

I mean sometimes people need to hear that their work sucks though don't they? Like telling someone if they have bad breath. It's not an easy thing to do, but maybe in the end it's more helpful than just thinking it... or saying it behind their backs.

Also, shouldn't we be free to express how we feel about what we're reading? If you inhibit posters ability to express themselves, then it's no wonder that there is little action in this forum.

Quite often I read someones work and think that I could really help them to refine it/ or their writing style in general by offering (sometimes fairly harsh) advice.. but then most of the time I remember how we all have to be kind and supportive of each other as if we're in a kindergarten class and I don't bother.

Honestly, rule #3 discourages me quite a bit from posting in this forum.

Here's an idea:

How about, rather than having to say "Criticism welcome", you implement the opposite for the pussies out there who can't handle what people really think of their shit. ie. if you DON'T want positive and negative criticism, you have to add "Positive critisms only please" to your post or something like that.

14. Collapse Details

Totally disagree with that.

At the end of the day this is a site based on harm minimisation, not Words. People who write don't always come here for objective help about how to make them a better writer - there are a million sites on the internet that will help them with that. I see Words as a place for people who enjoy writing, who enjoy getting feedback/ support, but who don't necessarily want to be told how they could be better at what they do.

I think you're missing the point when you say that you can see things that could be better about someone else's work. Most of the time people don't post in here because they think it's a masterpiece.

15. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    I think you're missing the point when you say that you can see things that could be better about someone else's work. Most of the time people don't post in here because they think it's a masterpiece.
    I know that. I guess I just don't believe in white lies in any context. I'm more of a cruel-to-be-kind sort of person, which I'm sure comes as no surprise to some of you... I like the truth. It only stings the first couple of times and then you grow immune to the pain, reaping only the benefits.

but isn't this primarily a drug-forum? if you're a real writer, then you must be familiar with the predominant writing forums out there (right?); there are tons and tons.
    I'm not sure what consitutes a "real writer" exactly. Bluelight is the only forum that I frequent on the internet and although I'm a film-maker first, I consider myself to be a writer as well. However I tend not to post things here that I'm very serious about or am intending to get published because of concerns regarding potential plaigirism and also I'd like to limit my association with illegal drugs (I have had serious problems with this website in the past).

So what I post here are generally drug related short stories or poems that I've come up with while heavily under the influence of something or other.

Regardless, I still find honest feedback invaluable... and there isn't much of it around here.
    Last edited by TheDeceased; 28-08-2009 at 14:51.

16. Collapse Details

I appreciate that you want honest feedback. That's why you have the choice of requesting criticism. Why should everyone else be subject to that though?

17. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    Why lie to people by with-holding the truth?

'Subject' to what? Honesty?

18. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    This thread has got me interested in checking out some of the other creative writing forums on the net. Are there any in particular people would recommend?

http://www.writingforums.org

I did a google search and found this one^, but after having a look I didn't think much of the stories... I prefer 'Words'.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeceased View Post

Yes!

We're obviously coming from different directions when thinking about what this forum is about. Some people want to improve their craft, some just want somwhere to put their thoughts down.

20. Collapse Details

Words

One can point out positive aspects of a piece without with-holding the truth. Pointing out something positive in a piece in a specific manner can give someone a direction to work with.

21. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    Selective criticism more often than not misleads people and inflates their ego, causing them considerable embarassment in the future - which again they will most likely not be aware of, because nobody likes being the bearer of bad news in practically any contet. So on it goes... until eventually, due to such warped and unrealistic expectations of themselves, they take their own lives - often scrawling a badly structured suicide note with their rapidly diminishing supply of blood.

Do you really want that to happen?

I mean, is it worth it?

22. Collapse Details

Words
    A little overblown...but I see where you're going. Maybe you can encourage people to open their works to criticism.

23. Collapse Details

This thread has got me interested in checking out some of the other creative writing forums on the net. Are there any in particular people would recommend?
    I brought it up before, but I'll mention it again:

http://www.everypoet.org/pffa/

This forum is exactly what you're looking for, methinks. They specifically discourage positive critique

Of course, their mission is not the same as Words'. They are about honing craft. This forum is more about writing as a form of art therapy. At least that's what I'm beginning to realize, though I have my reservations.

24. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    ^that one seems to be more poetry based, which isn't what I'm looking for... but it did have a link to their sister site Every Author (http://www.everyauthor.com/forum/) which looks promising so thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

BTW, Words Mods, etc - Has anyone ever actually gotten upset over harsh criticism?

I don't remember it happening...

If the people at writingforums, everypoet and everyauthor can take it - then I think we can as well.

Maybe bluelighters aren't as sensitive as you think?

25. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    One can point out positive aspects of a piece without with-holding the truth. Pointing out something positive in a piece in a specific manner can give someone a direction to work with.
    Yeah but what about when there is nothing positive to say? Quite often people go to the effort to post something in words and nobody bothers to say anything because of the only positive clause in the rules... isn't that kind of more offensive then gently telling them that they need to work harder and maybe sending them in the right direction? It's sort of like saying "Wow that is so bad that I can't even bring myself to comment on it."

A little overblown...but I see where you're going.
    The last bit was a joke.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast