Bluelight

Thread: How to improve Words?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    That has been suggested before and it didn't work for F&T.
    They're really anal about titles, now.
    If I make a thread with the proper prefix, they remove everything following it, except for the title.
    Like, I made a thread about Coherence with this title: (film) Coherence (low-budget science fiction)
    It was getting a lot of response. Then they changed it to: (film) Coherence.
    And the responses stopped, immediately.

There's no wiggle room left.
    Please don't do that to this forum.
    I haven't been here for a while, but there's nothing wrong with words IMO.

It will never have as much traffic as other sub-forums, but that's okay.
    Doesn't matter if they give away lollipops at the library, it's not going to attract the sort of crowds that the latest Transformers movies do. That's just a reality.

Scott (although he's not around anymore) said it best:

why do we need to keep the forum buzzing?

Ratings?

SWEEPS MONTH?

We don't have corporate sponsors.

How about we just write when we're inspired (and) post when we feel comfortable...
    Words isn't in competition with the other sub-forums. It is what it is.

There should be freedom in thread titles, just as there is freedom in what to write inside threads.

I'm leaving this forum for a while, but I will be back with a vengeance.

Please don't make me return to a rigid, cookie-cutter, overly user-friendly shit-fest like F&T has become.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Thou View Post
    Set it on fire.

"If you meet god in the street, kill him."
    -Old buddhist saying

One of these days you're going to have a visitation. You're going to be walking down the street and across the street you're going to look and see God standing over there on the street corner motioning to you, saying, "Come to me, come to me." And you will know it's God, there will be no doubt in your mind he has slitty little eyes like Buddha, and he's got a long nice beard and blood on his hands. He's got a big Charlton Heston jaw like Moses, he's stacked like Venus, and he has a great jeweled scimitar like Mohammed. And God will tell you to come to him and sing his praises. And he will promise that if you do, all of the muses that ever visited Shakespeare will fly in your ear and out of your mouth like golden pennies. It's the job of the writer in America to say, "Fuck you God, fuck you and the Old Testament that you rode in on, fuck you." The job of the writer is to kiss no ass, no matter how big and holy and white and tempting and powerful.

Ken Kesey

If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!

- Sheldon Kopp

3. Collapse Details

The Word.

4. Collapse Details

Reading as many of books is my tip

5. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by keeping View Post

if you meet the buddha on the road, kill him!

- sheldon kopp
    yes

there never is an end anyways,
    till it end for good,
    but then we're dead
    so who cares?

Does that make me a nihilist? No, just some confused Buddhist Jewish kid in his late 20's. Definitely that.

Rebirth always sounded better to me anyways. I was born after all.
    Once upon a time.
    So that should rhyme,
    Make a good time,
    Sell me some lime?

I don't believe in reincarnation, but I'd definitely kill anyone who professes to be superior to another, when it's purely for personal gain, regardless of whom ever the other actually is.

Wait, am I violating the agreement. This isn't the social. I should know better. Alas, it is my birthday, so give me this one,
    at least.

Being humble-able, that and stretching, is my tip.
    Last edited by toothpastedog; 25-07-2016 at 01:11.

6. Collapse Details

Happy Birthday
    To You
    From me

^That one took me a while.

Make words better? It already seems good. I just think a lot of people are turned off by "Words". For me, It was an attempt to spread across subforums since just bouncing between two gets old.

7. Collapse Details

turned off by "words"? words in general, the title of the forum, or something else entirely?

8. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    I love it all, Nixiam most of all

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sigmond View Post
    turned off by "words"? words in general, the title of the forum, or something else entirely?
    Oh, I meant the title. But it shouldn't be changed! People who are attracted to the forum are here because they want to be and not because of a persuasive title, so maybe the best way to improve upon the subforum is to embrace it like it has no faults.

Then maybe things could come more to light, but if there haven't been any extremely helpful forum changing suggestions, then maybe it is good as it is.

Or I am just lame and can't think of anything to contribute, rendering this post useless to anybody who doesn't agree with me.

Which you probably shoudn't agree.

Sorry for wasting a post turning inconclusive. I have a habit of typing while thinking rather than thinking it all out before hand, which is also my talking habit.

To sum it up I have no idea what to do to make it better, but I felt I should at least try and stay on topic.

Love ya sigmond, and you TPD.

10. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    What and who seriously types before thinking? Or the chicken or the egg? Am I even awake yet (no)? When I'm bored, this is where I find entertainment and joy when needed most. So it's gotta be a good thing, at least as little bit, as it is? This is just me secretly hinting at the fact I have nothing, absolutely nothing, left to say.

11. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by toothpastedog View Post
    What and who seriously types before thinking? Or the chicken or the egg? Am I even awake yet (no)? When I'm bored, this is where I find entertainment and joy when needed most. So it's gotta be a good thing, at least as little bit, as it is? This is just me secretly hinting at the fact I have nothing, absolutely nothing, left to say.
    Have you read ZNeg's post "confessions of a speed freak"? I fucking loved it. It should be its own full length feature motion picture.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    The Word.
    Werd!

13. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Do you guys have a prose thread in Words? If not, how would you feel about me starting one?

14. Collapse Details

Words
    I don't see an issue with that.

15. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Sweet

Thank youuuuuu

16. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    go for it

17. Collapse Details

What exactly is a prose thread? Isn't every thread on the internet not distinctly metered or versed a prose thread? Are we not participating in a prose thread right now?

Does the term "prose thread" have some operative definition that I am unaware of?

I'm not really for or against the idea, I am simply unsure what you mean. Is it a thread where we quote prose we like from published authors? Is it one where we construct and critique prose created by ourselves? Is it a thread where we collectively create prose by passing the torch off to oneanother?

Help me.

18. Collapse Details

A thread with proses. Then look up what a prose is.

Edit: I'm not trying to be snarky or sarcastic. That'll answer your call for "help."
    Last edited by Kl519; 12-02-2017 at 05:37.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Kl519 View Post
    A thread with proses. Then look up what a prose is.

Edit: I'm not trying to be snarky or sarcastic. That'll answer your call for "help."
    I know what "prose" is (the style in which one writes or speaks when not doing poetry), but I have never in my life heard of "a prose." Or "proses."

A quick glance at the dictionary reveals that "a prose" is some kind of hynn used in religious settings, which does not seem to be what you were getting at.

I typed out "help me" at the end of my post because I realized that I was putting way too much thought and way too many words into my post when I could have simply asked "what is a prose thread?" It was an inside joke that only I am in on (poking fun at my tendency to ramble and my refusal or inability to be concise - case in point this entire fucking paragraph), and I therefore should not have included it in my post, but oversights happen.

Digression aside, I am only asking out of genuine curiosity. Without proper context or elaboration, the term "prose thread" is so broadly defined as to make the possibilities infinite. Everybody in this thread seems to understand what this is except for me. I'm probably overthinking it.

20. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    It's meant to be very broad As Kl519 wrote, I didn't mean a thread on the topic of "a prose(s)" but "prose" generally - as I believe is the common syntax (please excuse me if that is not the correct use of the word; I am trying to be (a little) snarky ).

Basically I was thinking of a thread with stuff that might otherwise be considered poetry but the author doesn't feel it deserves that formal title. Hence, prose.

21. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Love it! That should be in the thread - wanna move it for us CH or New?

22. Collapse Details

Words
    Quote Originally Posted by toothpastedog View Post
    Love it! That should be in the thread - wanna move it for us CH or New?
    Done.

23. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    what did I miss?

24. Collapse Details

Sober Living

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678