Bluelight

Synthetic Cannabinoids Study

Thread: Books - Authors & Books Discussion

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Director of Communications
    ^ nice. 'skinny legs and all' is one of my favorite books ever.

alasdair

2. Collapse Details

I've got a couple of fiction books going:

Marcel Proust - À la recherche du temps perdu, in the original french. I like the way he is able to savor the details of life,and then to put the reader in his shoes.

When that overwhelms me, I switch to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It's written for children but it's also a lot of fun.
    Last edited by socko; 23-08-2007 at 09:37.

3. Collapse Details

^ Wow, what a contrast! I guess the only comparison between the two is their size.

I'm actually reading Baudelaire in French (with the help of Francis Scarfe's English translations). My French isn't great; I studied it for 6 years in high school, and spoke it a little while in Europe... a lot of the vocab and grammar is coming back to me though. It's definitely rewarding, and great to be able to consider the different possibilities available to the translator. I'm planning to give Rimbaud and Mallarmé a shot once I'm done with Baudelaire.

4. Collapse Details

mm. Baudelaire. makes me quiver with delight. heheh.

i'm still working on the grand inquisitor by dostoevsky. it's not long, but my days run into each other.
    next i'll be reading haroun and the sea of stories by salman rushdie.

5. Collapse Details
    Harlan's got a web page! 
    Bluelighter
    I don't know why I never thought to google "Harlan Ellison" before. The result:

http://harlanellison.com/home.htm

Hard to believe the guy is 73. It's a neat site. He's still at it...will he ever get tired of insulting Gene Roddenberry?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RareForm
    mm. Baudelaire. makes me quiver with delight. heheh.

i'm still working on the grand inquisitor by dostoevsky. it's not long, but my days run into each other.
    Haven't read grand inquisitor yet., but I've just ifnished Brotehrs karamatzov. Among the best books i've ever read.

7. Collapse Details

I'm sorry to interject, although I'm a big fan of Dostoevsky (sp?), have so far only read crime and punishment to which I thought was excellent. So..

Who here has read the works of Daniel Quinn? Ishmael was his springboard to an agonizingly real and true theory we've all somehow forgotten, to which he goes into further lengths in his followup novels. They are in fact written as novels, not simple philosophical regurgitation, and some of the most gripping prose I've ever read!

Anyone in here who has read Ishmael, the Story of B, the Holy, or anything else by him please chime in so we can discuss!

8. Collapse Details

Just realized no one mentioned Hunter Thompson in this thread, so to those of you who have read one or more of the following:

1)The Rum Diaries
    2)The Great Shark Hunt
    3)The Curse of Lono
    4)Songs of the Doomed
    5)Kingdom of Fear
    6)Hey Rube
    7)Better Than Sex
    8.)Generation of Swine
    9)The Proud Highway
    10)Fear and Loathing in America
    11)Screwjack, or
    12)Anything read in any of his published articles.

To those of you who have, give me your feelings.
    To those of you who have not, start with the Great Shark Hunt, Then Songs of The Doomed. After that you can read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (which I deliberately left off this list).

2c

9. Collapse Details

As far as Hunter T. goes, The Rum Diaries, Hell's Angels, and of course Fear and Loathing are all classic. So much style and originality...

Has anyone mentioned Huxley yet? A brilliant scribe with the titles

Island
    The Doors of Perception
    Brave New World
    Ape and Essence
    Heaven and Hell
    Perennial Philosophy
    Jesting Pilate

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sam manson420
    As far as Hunter T. goes, The Rum Diaries, Hell's Angels, and of course Fear and Loathing are all classic. So much style and originality...

Has anyone mentioned Huxley yet? A brilliant scribe with the titles

Island
    The Doors of Perception
    Brave New World
    Ape and Essence
    Heaven and Hell
    Perennial Philosophy
    Jesting Pilate
    I actually started up an Aldous Huxley appreciation thread 3 months ago, it didn't really go too far which surprised me (figured everyone in here to at least be a fan).

I read the doors of perception age 13 and haven't looked back ever since, brilliant man and the book ISLAND is beautiful beyond words.

11. Collapse Details

You can't go wrong with anything by Kurt Vonnegut. Breakfast of Champions is a personal favorite of mine.

12. Collapse Details

I've been reading Frank O'Hara's Collected Poems.

13. Collapse Details

Right now I'm reading Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon, and so far I'm digging it. I'm only a mere 140 pages into the 800 that it contains, but so far it feels rather episodic. Every other chapter seems to take place in another surreal location of the world, and the flesh content has mostly been descriptions of these locations' peculiar personalities and the different forms of madness that live inside them. The language is also very fun to ride.

I'm also close to finishing Transmigration of Timothy Archer by Philip K Dick. This is the only book of his other than VALIS that I've read. VALIS is one of my favorites. Transmigration contains many interesting ideas and dynamics -- the twisty mind-heavy stuff you might expect from him, but there's a heavy focus on depressive angst that kind of repels me. I'm hoping its brought together well enough...

By the way -- it was a few months ago but it's still on my mind -- have any of you checked out Only Revolutions by Mark Z Danielewski? I've never read anything quite like it. It's as playful as it is haunting, not to mention the fact that the book is basically a literary ouroboros -- pick it up the next time your at the store, glance at the text and you'll see what I mean. Anyway, I recommend that one.

14. Collapse Details

Ahh, Vonnegut. "Breakfast of Champions" was the first novel I read of his. Liked it alot, but then I read "Slaughter-House 5" which completely blew me away. I read it from beginning to end nonstop. Only put it down to use the bathroom. Then it was onto "The Sirens of Titan" which is my personal favorite.

Big fan of Kafka too. "The Metamorphisis" is classic.

"Prometheus Rising" by Robert Anton Wilson is also a very interesting read.

15. Collapse Details

My favourite Kafka story is The Great Wall of China.

16. Collapse Details

I've started reading again after quite some time. Having absolutely no internet at work has made me a bookworm once again Also, I find that there are months when I watch TV before bed, and after that, I cannot wait to bury myself into some good books before I sleep. Now is that time.

I am reading three books at the same time ... (two at work which I alternate, and one before I sleep!) ...yes, I am that way And the three books cannot be more different from each other :

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair ~ fascinating and brutally honest..I prefer to read only a few pages a day, as I do not wish to end my enjoyment of it so soon

The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi ~ wildly funny and unputdownable coming of age story set in 1970s suburban London that I am enjoying thoroughly

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith ~ i've always been curious about this novel and when I finally procured a copy, I read about a hundred pages the first night haha. I read it before bed. It's quite lovely.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2c-buoyant
    I'm sorry to interject, although I'm a big fan of Dostoevsky (sp?), have so far only read crime and punishment to which I thought was excellent. So..

Who here has read the works of Daniel Quinn? Ishmael was his springboard to an agonizingly real and true theory we've all somehow forgotten, to which he goes into further lengths in his followup novels. They are in fact written as novels, not simple philosophical regurgitation, and some of the most gripping prose I've ever read!

Anyone in here who has read Ishmael, the Story of B, the Holy, or anything else by him please chime in so we can discuss!

Read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by socko
    Haven't read grand inquisitor yet., but I've just ifnished Brotehrs karamatzov. Among the best books i've ever read.
    afaik the grand inquistor was a chapter in bros. karamazov.
    great book all the same - especially that translation by richard pervear & larissa volohksky (?)

i've taken up 2c-bouyant's rec. on 'Ishmael'. undecided as yet...only 85 pages in.

19. Collapse Details

I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but its been years since I read it.

I should add it to the re-read list.

Right now I'm reading White Oleander - by Janet Fitch

I was very intrigued by the movie and knew I'd love the book, and I was right.
    I love it, it flows like water, descriptive, poetic, raw, and beautiful.

She inspires me, she is the type of writer I want to be.

20. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    365 Tao by Deng Ming Dao.

It's an entirely different experience than Tao Te Ching, and it's taking me a couple days to get through.

Also, Children of Dune by Frank Herbert.

Dune to excite the mind, Tao to calm it.

21. Collapse Details

Lying in the gutter, but looking at the stars.
    I am currently reading:

Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (never read it before)

The best book I've read it the past ten years is easily

Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin

http://www.amazon.com/Soldier-Great-...2244145&sr=8-1

22. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe

23. Collapse Details

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway, followed by The Old Man and the Sea.

24. Collapse Details

I'm reading After Dark by Haruki Murakami.
    I'm not sure if I like the translation, I mean, I don't speak Japanese, it just reads a little odd in places. For example:

Through the eyes of a high-flying night bird, we take in the scene from midair. In our broad sweep, the city looks like a single gigantic creature-or more like a single collective entity created by many intertwining organisms.
    A bit static, as you can see. Mostly finished though and it's definitely worth reading. Will move on to Money by Martin Amis next.

25. Collapse Details

Apocalypse Culture is a really weird book, it's a collection of articles on the most fringe topics of the current age.

Good weird stories-- City of Glass by Paul Auster (metaphysical, postmodern, nihilistic detective story), Adventures in the Skin Trade by Dylan Thomas (very strange, 1940s), Song of Kali by Dan Simmons (excellent trippy horror novel)

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast