Thread: Australian Opiate Withdrawal Maintainance Medication Prescribers

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

and ahh, the funniest thing about th

2. Collapse Details

jusst over a week clean from methadone, PAWS r gonna sink my battleship,,,
    well i hope nox!

3. Collapse Details

^do you see a therapist or anything like that? take up an old hobby and keep busy, get out and exercise. once youve gone through the easy bit (withdrawal) youve got to keep your body and mind as active as possible, reward yourself with other activities instead of that high youre used to.

4. Collapse Details

heres some australian wide resources available online, a great site. its has everything. heres an example of the places its got listes in victoria.

Australian Drug Information Network - Alcohol and Drug Services <----click that to go to the page which has all the links available for the below services. it has the same kind of links for every other state and territory australia wide.

Victoria
    Service directories

* Alcohol and Other Drugs Treatment Services National Directory
    * Connectingcare
    Victorian health and community services directory.
    * Department of Human Services—Community alcohol and drug services
    * Department of Human Services—Victorian accredited driver education programs – February 2007 [PDF 160KB]
    * Infoxchange Service Seeker
    * Lifeline Service Finder

Indigenous

* ATSI Health Services Directory

Treatment services

Residential

* Anglicare Greater Eastern Drug and Alcohol Service (AGEnDAS)
    Detox, counselling, residential rehab and therapeutic group support.
    * Delmont Private Hospital
    Inpatient and outpatient, Glen Iris.
    * Eastern Health—Wellington House
    Residential and outpatient.
    * ECADA—Depaul House
    Withdrawal and rehabilitation.
    * ECADA—Maroondah Addictions Recovery Project (MARP)
    Residential rehabilitation, Lilydale.
    * First Step Program
    Detox, counselling and pharmacotherapy.
    * Odyssey House Victoria
    Residential therapeutic community, family units, community based programs and research.
    * PenDap Peninsula Drug and Alcohol Program
    Counselling, pharmacotherapy, home withdrawal and rehabilitation, Frankston.
    * Self Help Addiction Resource Centre (SHARC)—Recovery Support Services
    Residential recovery program, Glenhuntly.
    * Southern Health—South East Alcohol and Drug Services (SEADS)
    Outreach, withdrawal/detoxification (outpatient, home-based and residential), pharmacotherapy and rehabilitation.
    * The Salvation Army Kardinia Network
    Crisis counselling and drug treatment, Geelong.
    * The Salvation Army—The Basin Centre
    Residential recovery program, The Basin.
    * The Salvation Army—Victoria
    Crisis intervention, detox and residential rehabilitation. Click on region, then Addiction Services.
    * UnitingCare Moreland Hall
    Outpatient and residential withdrawal, counselling and support, Moreland.
    * Western Health—DASWest Drug and Alcohol Services
    Intervention, counselling, residential withdrawal and pharmacotherapy, Footscray.
    * Western Region Alcohol and Drug Centre (WRAD)
    Counselling, drug diversion, home withdrawal, Koori diversion, NSEP and medical service.
    * Windana
    Therapeutic residential and community based rehabilitation.

Indigenous

* Ngwala Willumbong Co-operative
    Residential rehabilitation and outreach support services.
    * Tanderra Koori Community Alcohol and Drug Service Centre
    Rehabilitation services, Bairnsdale.

Women

* The Royal Women’s Hospital—Alcohol and drug service
    Drug and alcohol service for pregnant women.

Non-residential

* Barwon Health—Drug and Alcohol Services
    Outreach, withdrawal, supported accommodation, methadone, NSEP and counselling.
    * Buoyancy Foundation
    Counselling and therapeutic programs.
    * Department of Human Services—DirectLine
    24/7 counselling, information and referral.
    * TaskForce
    Outreach, counselling, pharmacotherapy, support groups for families and friends.
    * Turning Point—CounsellingOnline
    National online counselling 24/7.

Corrections

* Australian Community Support Organisation—Community Offenders Advice and Treatment Service (COATS)
    Click on Programs, then COATS.

Families

* Family Drug Help
    Support for family members of alcohol and drug users.
    * Hume Alcohol and Other Drugs—Service List
    Pharmacotherapies, drug diversion, detox and rehabilitation services.
    * Mary of the Cross Centre
    Support services and ancillary care for the families.

Young people

* Clockwork Young People’s Health Service
    Counselling and therapeutic peer support groups.
    * Jesuit Social Services—Connexions
    Counselling young people with a dual diagnosis.
    * Waverley Emergency Adolescent Care—Tandana Place
    Adolescent residential rehabilitation.
    * Youth Projects
    Outreach, NSEP, drink/drug drive and primary health programs.
    * Youth Substance Abuse Service (YSAS)
    Outreach, day and residential detox and rehabilitation for young people 12-21yrs.

Information and resources

* Australian Drug Foundation—DrugInfo Clearinghouse

Self help

* Alcoholics Anonymous Victoria
    * ECADA—New Life Program
    Self help recovery program; help available 24/7.

5. Collapse Details

i think that hospitals should be used for people who ONLY have a serious chance of dying from withdrawal from alcohol/benzos, and not something so resources using as a heroin addiction..

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    more great information, keep it up

7. Collapse Details

Just out of curiosity if someone was addicted to opiates and used oxycontin and codeine 3 times a week and sometimes H on the weekend for a while what are the chances of getting some help like getting prescribed valiums or methadone or something to help with the withdrawal?

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    quite high. its not so simple though as just "here is a bottle of done, make sure you dose it right"

its monitored dosing daily at a chemist or clinic. its not fun either, and should be avoided unless you have NO other options.

9. Collapse Details

what about Suboxone in Australia ? particularly in Western Australia if anyone knows.

10. Collapse Details

^theres only subutex available in australia, which contain no nalaxone. plsu norspan patches which are transdermal patches

11. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Suboxone is available in most opiate treatment clinics in Qld and I think it's the same all over Australia. In WA phone your local alcohol and drug info service (1800 198 024) to find a prescriber.

12. Collapse Details

Peace
    Just a friendly reminder... The emotional fall out during the PAWS really needs to be addressed before u get off anything.
    Gives the word PROCESS a meaning.
    PLEASE all try to address underlying conditions before attempting to jump off any drug.
    I struggled until my psychiatrist added low dose seroquel.
    Im clean as a whistle for however long now. 2-3 weeks off methadone.
    Sorry for the b!tch scratches MrIbis.

as mentioned Mediclinic in Clayton (melb) r great.

13. Collapse Details

heya leftwing there is suboxone available in australia- it really depends on the treatment centre and what they choose to use. In the ACT generally speaking people are put on suboxone rather than subutex. mainly due to its lower rate of diversion due to the noloxone content.

If people are requiring an opiate blocker dose above the limit that suboxone produces than people are put across onto methadone to achieve the blocker dose affect. Suboxone is a fairly safe substance on its own, and is not suggested for use during pregnancy due to its effect on smooth muscles

sustanon- opiate maintenance therapies are prescribed to maintain rather than assit you with withdrawals per se. Synthetic opiods like methadone have a longer half life then ms contins or heroin and have a longer half life- eg 5hrs versus methadone 24+. But this also changes your tolerance to the substance which is what people do not necessarilry account into their decisions.
    i would be surprised if on the amount that you discussed that you would meet the criteria for dependance. I would suggest a good detox and some ongoing psychosocial help through a counsellor
    Last edited by madmick19; 16-12-2009 at 12:14.

14. Collapse Details

mick and flex, you guys are right. i just double checked mims and yeah it is available. im not sure why i was under the impression it wasnt available here? to be honest ive only ever heard of australian patients being put on subutex. id only heard by mouth before that suboxone wasnt available, so took it for granted

15. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    leftwing: i told you im on suboxone, i live in melbourne.

we've talked about it many times?

suboxone is the preffered medication because of the fact there is naloxone in it.

Watch "fighting the dragon with luck" really interesting doco.

16. Collapse Details

shit youre right man. ive only ever come across subutex here in qld(on the street) and thats what i hear primarily used(on the street and in clinics, maintenance programs, etc) - suboxone has almost been unheard of in my experiences. ive probably been reading suboxone as subutex in my mind as well

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by leftwing View Post
    ^theres only subutex available in australia, which contain no nalaxone. plsu norspan patches which are transdermal patches
    Actually its mainly suboxone they prescribe as you can't get as high off suboxone if its diverted and you IV it. Opposed to subutex.

Quote Originally Posted by madmick19 View Post
    heya leftwing there is suboxone available in australia- it really depends on the treatment centre and what they choose to use. In the ACT generally speaking people are put on suboxone rather than subutex. mainly due to its lower rate of diversion due to the noloxone content
    Seconded.

Another place to go in SA is Second Storey in the CBD, you have to be under 25 but it is very easy to get on the program, the doctor there is also very nice and incredibly understanding, will up your dose without any trouble if you are not stabilised.

18. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by _rolls View Post
    Actually its mainly suboxone they prescribe as you can't get as high off suboxone if its diverted and you IV it. Opposed to subutex.

Seconded.

Another place to go in SA is Second Storey in the CBD, you have to be under 25 but it is very easy to get on the program, the doctor there is also very nice and incredibly understanding, will up your dose without any trouble if you are not stabilised.

Thats totally wrong. You can IV suboxone, due to Buprenorphines affinity to the receptors it renders the naloxone almost useless.. do some study on it.. i think theres a megathread in OD on it

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MrIbis View Post
    Thats totally wrong. You can IV suboxone, due to Buprenorphines affinity to the receptors it renders the naloxone almost useless.. do some study on it.. i think theres a megathread in OD on it
    I just said you can't get AS high off it. At least that is what I have been told by the doctors that prescribe it, especially if you are shooting it/combing it with other drugs.

I'm well aware you can still get high off it and mix it with other opiates. Whether the difference is minimal or not I don't know but I have been told multiple times it is certainly less.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by _rolls View Post
    I just said you can't get AS high off it. At least that is what I have been told by the doctors that prescribe it, especially if you are shooting it/combing it with other drugs.

I'm well aware you can still get high off it and mix it with other opiates. Whether the difference is minimal or not I don't know but I have been told multiple times it is certainly less.
    youll still get just as high off it no matter what ROA because the nalaxone is still rendered inactive. i havent seen any literature stating whether it does or not though. have you got a site?

and as i said, subutex is all ive ever heard of being prescribed to people in queensland that ive talked to and know through hearsay. it was just a mixup on my behalf.

21. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by leftwing View Post
    have you got a site?
    Nope that's just what my sub doctor told me, he however did say 'some of my patients will argue until blue in the face that the naloxone does nothing' so who knows.

22. Collapse Details

its no secret amongst users, and anyone with half an idea, that the nalaxone does nothing to inhibit the abuse of them

23. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    hey all i've relapsed.. decided a meth binge was a good idea, did that - then found out i'd missed too many doses.. kicked off program when doin so well..

fooked.

24. Collapse Details

^sorry to hear brother. hope you can pick up the pieces sooner than later. don't give up on yourself.

is there another program you can get ahold of?

you know how to get ahold of me if need be.

best of luck

25. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MrIbis View Post
    hey all i've relapsed.. decided a meth binge was a good idea, did that - then found out i'd missed too many doses.. kicked off program when doin so well..

fooked.
    Can't you simply start again? My doctor just said I needed a new script if I missed more than 3 doses, basically would just involve another session with him.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast