Bluelight

Thread: Celebrex (Celecoxib) and Codeine.

1. Collapse Details
    Celebrex (Celecoxib) and Codeine. 
    Alright, my doctor prescribed me Celebrex today for my shoulder and I was wondering if I could take 200mg of Codeine about 5 hours after my Celebrex dose.

I used an Interactions checker and it said there was a moderate interaction but it gave the information in terms that I'm unable to understand.

MONITOR: Drugs that are inhibitors of CYP450 2D6 may interfere with the analgesic effect of codeine. The mechanism is decreased in vivo conversion of codeine to morphine, a metabolic reaction mediated by CYP450 2D6.

MANAGEMENT: The possibility of reduced or inadequate pain relief should be considered in patients receiving codeine with drugs that inhibit CYP450 2D6. An increase in the codeine dosage or a different analgesic agent may be necessary in patients requiring therapy with CYP450 2D6 inhibitors.
    What I got from this: You can take these two together without any health problems at all, but the Celebrex will make the Codeine weaker.

Am I right, or am I completely wrong?

I bassically want to know if taking 200mg of codeine about 5-6 hours after a Celebrex dose will have any health problems, and if it would be OK?

2. Collapse Details

Celecoxib is indeed listed as a CYP2D6 inhibitor, however on my chart it is not listed as a strong one.

You will be safe taking it, but the effects will be lessened. We can't say by how much as that can be very individual depending on your bio-chemistry, but for what it's worth I used codeine daily while on sertraline (another inhibitor) and didn't notice anything too bad. You may want to increase the dose a little bit, or perhaps try a CYP2D6 inducer like alcohol (just one standard drink 45 minutes prior to dosing) or St Johns Wort.

3. Collapse Details

Thanks for the reply
    Another question, does it have any negative effects on the body to use these two together like other interactions do?

For example, like when you take SSRI's and 5-HTP it could cause serotonin syndrom. Are there any bad side effects with taking these two together?

Also, would the Celebrex increase the respiratory depression/heart beat effect that Codeine produces?

4. Collapse Details

No on both accounts, it is fine.

The only possibly problem I can think of is if your codeine is combined with ibuprofen and you aren't getting rid of it. In that case, the two NSAIDS together might be a bad combination and increase the risk of the side effects that NSAIDS are known for.

5. Collapse Details

Alright, then I guess I'm fine since I'm using Tylenol 3's.

Also, a completely unrelated question, but there's no point in making a new thread.

Do Tylenol 3's have Caffeine in them? I've heard people say this but I've read that it's only Tylenol 4's that have Caffeine.

6. Collapse Details

^ It should say on the box... we don't have Tylenol here in Australia. From what I remember, in Canada doesn't it have to be combined with two other active ingredients, so the answer would probably be yes it does?

There is a method for removing it, but I can't remember... I think it involved activated charcoal or something. I have a huge caffeine tolerance though so even if they did add it in here I would probably be OK.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blonde View Post
    ^ It should say on the box... we don't have Tylenol here in Australia. From what I remember, in Canada doesn't it have to be combined with two other active ingredients, so the answer would probably be yes it does?

There is a method for removing it, but I can't remember... I think it involved activated charcoal or something. I have a huge caffeine tolerance though so even if they did add it in here I would probably be OK.
    Yeah, I drink Coca-Cola all day so I have a high tolerance to it to.
    You guys have Paracetamol, if I remember correctly, right?

8. Collapse Details

We have codeine combined with paracetamol yeah, and also with ibuprofen. You can also get codeine with pseudo or sometimes, I think, doxylamine succinate.

9. Collapse Details

Doxylamine? What the fuck, I have that as a sleeping pill =X
    Why would they combine it with Doxylamine?

10. Collapse Details

Night time pain relief or night time cold and flu medicine I think. It potentiates the codeine. I remember once I did a pharmacy run, my tolerance was at about a gram of codeine, and one pharmacy gave me a 24 pack of codeine, APAP and doxylamine succinate. I went ahead and used it anyway (doxylamine isn't removed via CWE). Was very doped up indeed!

11. Collapse Details

Ah, that's interesting o.0 I couldn't imagine taking anything with Doxylamine in it to get high =X

Also, quick question. What are the chances of a healthy male overdosing on 250mg of codeine?
    I have a decent tolerance, not too big. Anything below 150mg or so of codeine and I feel nothing.

12. Collapse Details

The chances are pretty much zip, unless you have an allergy to codeine but I think you are OK there.

You see the LD50 of codeine listed at 800mg, that may seem kind of low; the reason it's that low is because of the histamine response codeine causes, which is also why it can't be IV'd. If I don't dose for a few days then dose again, my tolerance to this histamine effects goes away and it can be quite severe sometimes, I suffer from swelling, a very red rash, lots of itching, dizziness, etc...