Bluelight

Thread: French scientists develop a gel that helps decayed teeth grow back in weeks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    French scientists develop a gel that helps decayed teeth grow back in weeks 
    Talking
    A gel that can help decayed teeth grow back in just weeks may mean an end to fillings.

The gel, which is being developed by scientists in France, works by prompting cells in teeth to start multiplying. They then form healthy new tooth tissue that gradually replaces what has been lost to decay.

Researchers say in lab studies it took just four weeks to restore teeth back to their original healthy state. The gel contains melanocyte-stimulating hormone, or MSH.

We produce this in the pituitary gland, a pea-sized gland just behind the bridge of the nose.

MSH is already known to play an important part in determining skin colour - the more you have, the darker your flesh tone.

But recent studies suggest MSH may also play a crucial role in stimulating bone regeneration.

As bone and teeth are very similar in their structure, a team of scientists at the National Institute for Health and Medical Research in Paris tested if the hormone could stimulate tooth growth.

Their findings, published in the American Chemical Society journal ACS Nano, could signal hurtnot just an end to fillings, but the dreaded dentist drill as well. Tooth decay is a major public health problem in Britain. Around £45m a year is spent treating decayed teeth and by the age of 15, teenagers have had an average of 2.5 teeth filled or removed.

Decay is caused by bacteria, called streptococcus mutans, that live in the mouth and feed on sugar in the diet. Once the bacteria stick to the enamel, they trigger a process called demineralisation - they turn sugar in the diet into a harmful acid that starts to create holes in the teeth.

For decades, the main treatment for cavities has been to 'drill and fill'. However, an estimated one in five Britons suffers from dental phobia, a fear of dentists which means some would rather endure pain and suffering than face the prospect of having their teeth drilled.

The new treatment is painless. And although fillings halt decay, they can come loose and sometimes need refilling.

Experts believe new tooth cells would be stronger and a permanent solution.

The French team mixed MSH with a chemical called poly-L-glutamic acid. This is a substance often used to transport drugs inside the body because it can survive the harsh environments, such as the stomach, that might destroy medicines before they get a chance to work.

The mixture was then turned into a gel and rubbed on to cells, called dental pulp fibroblasts, taken from extracted human teeth. These cells are the kind that help new tooth tissue to grow.

But until now there has been no way of 'switching' them back on once they have been destroyed by dental decay. The researchers found the gel triggered the growth of new cells and also helped with adhesion - the process by which new dental cells 'lock' together.

This is important because it produces strong tooth pulp and enamel which could make the decayed tooth as good as new.

In a separate experiment, the French scientists applied the gel to the teeth of mice with dental cavities. In just one month, the cavities had disappeared. The gel is still undergoing testing but could be available for use within three to five years.

Professor Damien Walmsley, the British Dental Association's scientific adviser, said the gel could be an interesting new development, but stressed it is unlikely to be able to repair teeth that have been extensively damaged by decay.

'There are a lot of exciting developments in this field, of which this is one,' he said. 'It looks promising, but we will have to wait for the results to come back from clinical trials and its use will be restricted to treating small areas of dental decay.'

Scientists have developed a 'tongue' gel as part of a new approach to tackling bad breath and preventing tooth decay.

Halitosis is usually caused by bacteria in the mouth. The latest treatment, developed by Meridol, takes a mechanical and chemical approach. It consists of a tongue scraper, gel and mouth wash.

The extra-flat tongue cleaner is used to scrape bacteria off the tongue. The tongue gel and mouthwash are anti-bacterial and contain chemicals that attach themselves to odour-producing compounds, which are then flushed out with the mouthwash. Both gel and mouthwash contain fluoride.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz0uylEGqc8
    Last edited by qwe; 03-08-2010 at 18:21. Reason: edited this bitch for ya (title was first sentence of article not title)

2. Collapse Details

Cannabis Discussion
    fucking SWEET!
    Cannabis Anxiety & Paranoia Megathread || Synth Cannabinoid Megathread || “We're the middle children of history, man; no purpose or place”

3. Collapse Details

It'll sell well in Britain *gets coat*

4. Collapse Details

Thats pretty awesome. I wonder if it could potentially reproduce a half chipped tooth?

5. Collapse Details

Meth addicts will love this *gets coat*

6. Collapse Details

this will be jumped on by anyone who posted above me!*cets goat*

umm.... anyway coool. how are they getting the MSH, is it synthetic?

7. Collapse Details

*gets boat*

no but really... coats keep you warm. what is this coat shit?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by qwe View Post
    *gets boat*

no but really... coats keep you warm. what is this coat shit?

It's something we tend to use over here as a means of communicating our intention of leaving to avoid a potential shitstorm (normally caused by the person who is "getting their coat")

9. Collapse Details

I think im more excited about all the coat talk in here

This is really cool though.

10. Collapse Details

Now all we need is dopaminergic stem cell therapy and methamphetamine use can become a respectable habit.

11. Collapse Details

^wowzers, now i've heard of people jumping to conclusions, that was bloody quantum leap!

nah, seriously, are peasents being farmed for their hormones or what? the pituitary gland black market stocks should go up?

12. Collapse Details

This is awesome news to me!!! I have extremely weak enamel because I was born premature, and half the time I go to the dentist I end up having to get teeth drilled because spots have become so weak. I've only had one real cavity in my life, but I've been drilled a zillion times just to prevent them. And that's with using an electric toothbrush and prescription toothpaste!

13. Collapse Details

Bought time! Fillings are barbaric. I always wondered when we would move on from fillings and on to a better system, and it looks like its finally happening!

14. Collapse Details

absolutely fantastic, I am terrified of the dentist and this would make my life so much better.
    Just out of curiosity though I wonder since it is similar to bone structure if they could work on that for diseases that weaken the bones or have them crumbling?? Could also help with ageing population from hip fractures. It seems this is a start on a few good things.

15. Collapse Details

Very handy, I'll take some.

16. Collapse Details

I always read these stories about scientists have made some breakthrough... so why don't we ever see these things commercialized?

The dentists are going to block this, I bet. They like to drill cavities. It makes them a lot of money.

But this might make it possible to do other things. Like getting rid of the existing enamel, to whiten the teeth. Then they could grow it back with this gel.

17. Collapse Details

can you smoke it?

18. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Sure if you want to have teeth in your lungs. ^

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Unbreakable View Post
    A gel that can help decayed teeth grow back in just weeks may mean an end to fillings.
    The Dailymail article really didn't give much in the way of details.

Here we go, official ACS release:
    http://pubs.acs.org/stoken/presspac/...1021/nn100713m

Well, I guess Dailymail had good reason not to give too many details. The newspaper article seems to have been substantially "sexed up". From what I can tell, this seems intended as a method to salvage or regenerate damaged dental pulp in a de-vitalized tooth.

Mechanistically, I couldn't see exactly how it would "grow back" a decayed tooth, and it looks like it doesn't. Rather, after a root canal is performed, this would (in theory) perhaps allow new pulp to be implanted, or remaining pulp regenerated, keeping the tooth "live" (instead of the current procedure of replacing the insides with a structural support and inert filler). I don't see how this would lead to regeneration of any enamel or dentin -- damaged hard portions of the tooth would still be repaired using synthetic materials, presumably.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slapdragonx View Post
    someone trying to shelf some of this stuff could be the corker in a horror movie plot.

21. Collapse Details

I guess they can stop fluoridating the water-supplies now

22. Collapse Details

who said i cared about the effect on teeth?

23. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by marsmellow View Post
    I always read these stories about scientists have made some breakthrough... so why don't we ever see these things commercialized?

The dentists are going to block this, I bet. They like to drill cavities. It makes them a lot of money.

But this might make it possible to do other things. Like getting rid of the existing enamel, to whiten the teeth. Then they could grow it back with this gel.
    I can't see them blocking it just over charging for it, where they used to drill by "professionally" applying the gel it will cost the same

24. Collapse Details
    your comment has the least brains of any of them. 

Well, I guess Dailymail had good reason not to give too many details. The newspaper article seems to have been substantially "sexed up". From what I can tell, this seems intended as a method to salvage or regenerate damaged dental pulp in a de-vitalized tooth.

Mechanistically, I couldn't see exactly how it would "grow back" a decayed tooth, and it looks like it doesn't. Rather, after a root canal is performed, this would (in theory) perhaps allow new pulp to be implanted, or remaining pulp regenerated, keeping the tooth "live" (instead of the current procedure of replacing the insides with a structural support and inert filler). I don't see how this would lead to regeneration of any enamel or dentin -- damaged hard portions of the tooth
    YOU REALLY NEED TO DO SOME MORE RESEARCH AND Mabey ENLIGHTEN YOURSELF WITH MODERN SCIENCE AND ITS LATEST ACHIEVEMENT, ITS QUITE SIMPLE TO SEE HOW IT WOULd"g row back" .by stimulating the cells to multiply using the same hormone our body's use

25. Collapse Details
    GUP,you pretentious douchbag you are an idiot 
    Quote Originally Posted by Alliedcries View Post

Mechanistically, I couldn't see exactly how it would "grow back" a decayed tooth, and it looks like it doesn't. Rather, after a root canal is performed, this would (in theory) perhaps allow new pulp to be implanted, or remaining pulp regenerated, keeping the tooth "live" (instead of the current procedure of replacing the insides with a structural support and inert filler). I don't see how this would lead to regeneration of any enamel or dentin -- damaged hard portions of the tooth
    YOU REALLY NEED TO DO SOME MORE RESEARCH AND Mabey ENLIGHTEN YOURSELF WITH MODERN SCIENCE AND ITS LATEST ACHIEVEMENT, ITS QUITE SIMPLE TO SEE HOW IT WOULd"g row back" .by stimulating the cells to multiply using the same hormone our body's use
    Quote Originally Posted by Gup View Post
    The Dailymail article really didn't give much in the way of details.

Here we go, official ACS release:

Mechanistically, I couldn't see exactly how it would "grow back" a decayed tooth, and it looks like it doesn't. Rather, after a root canal is performed, this would (in theory) perhaps allow new pulp to be implanted, or remaining pulp regenerated, keeping the tooth "live" (instead of the current procedure of replacing the insides with a structural support and inert
    filler). I don't see how this would lead to regeneration of any enamel or dentin -- damaged hard portions of the tooth would still be repaired using synthetic materials, presumably.
    You really need to do some reading and enlighten yourself on the achievement of modern science cuz if this is s ok hard for you to believe then then there are some goodies out there that will blow your mind presumably,we printed a live mouse heart using a modified desktop printerand for some reason its so hard for you to believe that we have isolated the hormone that stimulates tooth cells to multiply, let me explain how for you you uneducated massacre.,The gel contains the hormone the stimulates tooth cells to multiply tooth pulp and enamel not just pulp buddies.in the mice study the cavities were completed gone in several weeks.The concept is simple ,our bodies do something similar with skin and bone when we heal , it stands to reason we could coax a similar healing of out teeth.we have revived bacteria thousands of years old , landed on the moon and cured bacterial infections and this is what you want believe .your an idiot presumably

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast