Bluelight

Thread: Pet Peeves v. u mad?

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567132353 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by voxmystic View Post
    I wonder if there is any sort of movement out there in favor of keeping the spoken language as is, but reassigning spelling so that it makes some damn sense, e.g. "was" to "wuz"? If not, I wonder how I can start one?
    The incredibly complex and difficult English language has been around for about 1500 years and in its current form about 500.

So, I sincerely doubt it.

"For skor and seven yeerz a go, r fathrs brot forth on this contenent a nu nashun"

You see my point...

2. Collapse Details

^ Actually, I Googled this after I wondered it, and it turns out that there were/are a few societies that propose spelling reform, with such high profile supporters as Benjamin Franklin, Andrew Carnagie, George Bernard Shaw, and a popular American president. FDR, I think, but I'm not positive. Next step is finding out how to join up!

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by voxmystic View Post
    ^ Actually, I Googled this after I wondered it, and it turns out that there were/are a few societies that propose spelling reform, with such high profile supporters as Benjamin Franklin, Andrew Carnagie, George Bernard Shaw, and a popular American president. FDR, I think, but I'm not positive. Next step is finding out how to join up!
    All of those high profile supporters are long dead, the most recent being 1950 (Shaw). I do not believe I saw any living supporters with remotely enough clout to enact such an enormous change.

I also did not see any membership bodies advocating reform.

4. Collapse Details

Textspeak hurts my eyes. Can you imagine reading a whole book of it? The only time I abbreviate is when I'm out of characters. I think it just looks stupid.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dropthatpickle View Post
    Textspeak hurts my eyes. Can you imagine reading a whole book of it? The only time I abbreviate is when I'm out of characters. I think it just looks stupid.
    While I agree (and adopt the same habits), we feel this way because we grew up using the language the way that we do - it has been linguistically programmed into our brains. However, if we had been taught with textspeak from the beginning, the way we spell and write things now would probably look foreign and stupid to us instead of the other way around.

Granted, I'm not really for a reform myself, as I'm one of those spelling and grammar nazis who has the linguistic patterns of the English language so ingrained that it would absolutely kill me to use something that is so "wrong." But, my Linguistics professor from last semester did teach me to at least be a bit more forgiving of those who are not as hard-set in the current rules of the English language.

Yet I still hate it when people send text messages with only one letter in them, usually "k." ><

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMuffin View Post
    While I agree (and adopt the same habits), we feel this way because we grew up using the language the way that we do - it has been linguistically programmed into our brains. However, if we had been taught with textspeak from the beginning, the way we spell and write things now would probably look foreign and stupid to us instead of the other way around.

Granted, I'm not really for a reform myself, as I'm one of those spelling and grammar nazis who has the linguistic patterns of the English language so ingrained that it would absolutely kill me to use something that is so "wrong." But, my Linguistics professor from last semester did teach me to at least be a bit more forgiving of those who are not as hard-set in the current rules of the English language.

Yet I still hate it when people send text messages with only one letter in them, usually "k." ><

NSFW:

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by psychopath View Post
    All of those high profile supporters are long dead, the most recent being 1950 (Shaw). I do not believe I saw any living supporters with remotely enough clout to enact such an enormous change.
    I didn't mean to insinuate that "high profile" translated to "enough clout to enact...change". A cracker-jack salesperson would be preferable, because what the measure requires is public support. I was just pleasantly surprised that those guys agreed with me!

I also did not see any membership bodies advocating reform.
    Maybe this is something I can change.

Quote Originally Posted by dropthatpickle View Post
    Textspeak drops letters, inserts numerals, etc., and it can be painful to read. The spelling reform I'm talking about wouldn't look any more stupid than Spanish, which looks darned enlightened compared to the mishmash we wade through to convey an idea.

8. Collapse Details

hipsters/punks/emos/goths/etc

makes me wanna grab my PR-24

9. Collapse Details

up on the hill where they do do the boogie
    i don't think my brother has ever once called before showing up here.

10. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew addictivepersona's Avatar
    My neighbor (who's window is maybe 15 feet away) installed an air conditioning unit. It makes a high-pitched whining noise.

11. Collapse Details

There is a guy in my apartment complex who has apparently decided that the area right in front of my living room window is the best place to have his really heated conversations. Of course, he's always yelling and cursing at the person on the other side of the phone, so I am afraid of opening the door and telling him to go away/shut up.

12. Collapse Details

people that drive without their lights on when raining/dark out.

people that don't turn their lights on when driving when I flash my high-beams at them.

13. Collapse Details

Hmmm, I see your point, but it's not like Spanish or Chinese, it's shorthand. And, yeah, my mom was a sarcastic grammar Nazi, but learning English grammar was one of the few good things that happened in my 3 miserable years of junior high. I love the words. It helps to know how to phrase things properly so you say what you mean. Our choice of expression is the way we tell people who we are. So, okay, we adopt this as a new form expression, but it'll never replace the written language.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMuffin View Post
    There is a guy in my apartment complex who has apparently decided that the area right in front of my living room window is the best place to have his really heated conversations. Of course, he's always yelling and cursing at the person on the other side of the phone, so I am afraid of opening the door and telling him to go away/shut up.
    My old Appartment was on a walk-way bridging two streets: one with a nightclub and the other; hosting many, late-night Bars. My Bedroom was on the second Floor, facing the Walk-way.
    Drunken couples would take to Fighting, having Loud Sex and random shouting sessions-Right outside under my window for some reason-Many is the night I filled a kettle(not boiled but I was tempted!) with water and flung it out the window on top of them.

15. Collapse Details

Attorneys who are unflinchingly idealistic when you want them to let the killer instinct take over.

16. Collapse Details

How on some message boards and comment sections, there will always be a huge argument between annoying teenagers and pretentious adults who live in their moms basement about how so-and-so is a moron because he used the wrong form of you're (or made some other grammar mistake). It doesn't matter if you are a brilliant nuclear physicist who just created an equation that proves God isn't real; if some lonely reject points out that you used the incorrect form of a word in your post/comment, he is 142535 times smarter than you! I scrutinize my spelling and grammar for my college assignments; not doing so on an internet message board isn't going to turn me into sum1 wh0 alwaiz ritez n txt spk! It's like thinking that you always need to act like you are in an upscale 5 star restaurant even when you are at McDonalds.

17. Collapse Details

My pet peeve is me. I nearly yelled at the woman on the phone who told me (for the third time) that I DID NOT have an airplane reservation. I didn't believe her. I asked for her manager because I was annoyed by her bitchiness and adamant that I had a reservation. I re-read the damn email and realized I'm an idiot. I apologized to both. I need more meditation.

18. Collapse Details

People who call me chief, boss, pal, sport, or any variation thereof.

19. Collapse Details

Television ads that have a phone or text ring in them. Even when it sounds nothing like my own phone I still make a double take each time they are on.

20. Collapse Details

^also radio ads with police, fire, or ambulance sirens

21. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    People who call me chief, boss, pal, sport, or any variation thereof.
    Oh.

22. Collapse Details

People eating with their mouth open, sick f**ks. Makes me boak, how hard is it to eat with your mouth god damn closed !

23. Collapse Details

misspelling the word, "ad" as in advertisement. Many people spell it "add".
    Most spelling errors and grammar mistakes do not bother me. That one does.

People driving slow in the left lane.

Trolls and crazy people/stalkers/outers/haters.

Cops that give me tickets for bullshit. Where are they when the crazies are driving, or the car polluting the air so bad it causes vision problems?

Seeds and stems.

That should do it for now.

24. Collapse Details

Stems and seeds? You hold your bitch tongue. Have you not heard "From little things big things grow"?

25. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Busty St Clare View Post
    Television ads
    this

actually pretty much just television in general

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567132353 ... LastLast