Bluelight

Thread: Pet Peeves v. u mad?

Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 123456789152555 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 2055
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew animal_cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    12,407
    Quote Originally Posted by addictivepersona View Post
    When people say "literally" for something that isn't/wasn't literal.

    For example: Someone says they "literally fell on [their] ass!" yet fell forward, onto their hands and knees--They did not literally fall on their ass.

    Another was literally spotted on a box of sprouted pasta: "[The pasta] is literally bursting with nutrients!" If it was bursting, I certainly wouldn't have bought it!

    Not really a peeve of mine but it was recently pointed out to me and it literally jumps out at me now.
    this oatmeal comic will literally make you giggle then
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew addictivepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalove
    Posts
    4,313
    ^ That literally made me laugh out loud. Thanks! :D

    I now have another comic to check frequently. :P
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew animal_cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    12,407
    i hate bicycles on sidewalks. especially when the entire street is closed to everything but human powered things.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew addictivepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalove
    Posts
    4,313
    ^ Some people feel safer riding on the sidewalk--Though it is not really all that safe. I mean, I got hit by a car while biking on the sidewalk: They were coming out of a fast food place's parking lot. Thankfully they weren't going very fast, though they did not stop to ask if I was okay. I detest riding on the sidewalk now for the above reason and because of the bumpy nature of it, but there are places where it is unavoidable. :-/
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew animal_cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    12,407
    i understand that. but the whole stretch of road was closed to motorized vehicles specifically so people could ride their bikes on it. so i don't think riding on the sidewalk was a safety issue. its just people who think its fun to try to run down people who are walking.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew addictivepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalove
    Posts
    4,313
    ^ Oooh, okay. Yeah, that changes things.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter modern buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Floating across the civilization / simplicity continuum.
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by animal_cookie View Post
    i hate bicycles on sidewalks. especially when the entire street is closed to everything but human powered things.
    Bicycles ARE considered a pedestrian though. And pedestrians belong on the sidewalk. :P

    I bike on the street when I can / when it feels safe to do so. Otherwise, sidewalk it is.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew addictivepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalove
    Posts
    4,313
    ^ Nope, bicycles are not considered pedestrians. At least not in New York State:

    "Section 102. BICYCLE. Every two or three wheeled device upon which a person or persons may ride, propelled by human power [...] and intended for use only on a sidewalk by pre-teenage children.
    Section 130. PEDESTRIAN. Any person afoot or in a wheelchair."

    But, a bicycle is not a vehicle:

    "Section 159. VEHICLE. Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks." :P


    Don't want to turn this into a debate, but just figured I'd provide some laws for accuracy of definitions relating to the law.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    up on the hill where they do do the boogie
    Posts
    20,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply_Live View Post
    Bicycles ARE considered a pedestrian though. And pedestrians belong on the sidewalk.
    they are not where i live, where you can get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk if you are over the age of 12. you can also get a dwi for bicycling while impaired.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Ex-Bluelighter Busty St Clare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nice, France
    Posts
    12,775
    Quote Originally Posted by addictivepersona View Post
    ^ Nope, bicycles are not considered pedestrians. At least not in New York State:

    "Section 102. BICYCLE. Every two or three wheeled device upon which a person or persons may ride, propelled by human power [...] and intended for use only on a sidewalk by pre-teenage children.
    Section 130. PEDESTRIAN. Any person afoot or in a wheelchair."

    But, a bicycle is not a vehicle:

    "Section 159. VEHICLE. Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks." :P


    Don't want to turn this into a debate, but just figured I'd provide some laws for accuracy of definitions relating to the law.

    So a skate board should be on the road?

    I generally prefer to ride on the road except when there is heavy traffic. Buses generally make me nervous when the road is particularly narrow.
    Reply With Quote
     

  11. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew addictivepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalove
    Posts
    4,313
    A skateboard has four wheels, so it doesn't appear to fit the criteria for any category, according to the state of NY. :P

    Anywho, two major peeves of mine: Realizing you didn't wash something needed that is very obviously dirty after getting done doing a lot of laundry. The other is getting done doing a lot of laundry and spilling something on a clothing item. Grr.
    Reply With Quote
     

  12. Collapse Details
     
    although i don't mind on casual forums, people with bad grammar, my stupid neighbor upstairs that sweeps all their ash and shit on our patio when we're sitting outside. my BIGGEST one though would be racism/discrimination against gay people, lesbians, transgenders, whatever you happen to be. i can't stand people who voice their opinion over and over. you can have your own opinion, but if yours is different from someone else then drop it and not discuss it. and you can't help what color you're born so that really bothers me.

    sorry this turned into a rant, and i hope i didn't offend anyone because that wasn't my intention and those are touchy subjects for some
    Reply With Quote
     

  13. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter modern buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Floating across the civilization / simplicity continuum.
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by addictivepersona View Post
    ^ Nope, bicycles are not considered pedestrians. At least not in New York State:

    "Section 102. BICYCLE. Every two or three wheeled device upon which a person or persons may ride, propelled by human power [...] and intended for use only on a sidewalk by pre-teenage children.
    Section 130. PEDESTRIAN. Any person afoot or in a wheelchair."

    But, a bicycle is not a vehicle:

    "Section 159. VEHICLE. Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks." :P


    Don't want to turn this into a debate, but just figured I'd provide some laws for accuracy of definitions relating to the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Busty St Clare View Post
    So a skate board should be on the road?

    I generally prefer to ride on the road except when there is heavy traffic. Buses generally make me nervous when the road is particularly narrow.
    Exactly. So if it's not a pedestrian and not a vehicle, who can possibly tell us it belongs on the road or on the sidewalk?

    Too bad cops won't take your developed argument as valid when they give you a ticket for telling your kid to stay on the sidewalk so they don't get hit while riding around the neighborhood.

    Quote Originally Posted by addictivepersona View Post
    A skateboard has four wheels, so it doesn't appear to fit the criteria for any category, according to the state of NY. :P

    Anywho, two major peeves of mine: Realizing you didn't wash something needed that is very obviously dirty after getting done doing a lot of laundry. The other is getting done doing a lot of laundry and spilling something on a clothing item. Grr.
    Ppppppppssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttt...
    NSFW:
    handwash them.
    Reply With Quote
     

  14. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    up on the hill where they do do the boogie
    Posts
    20,207
    i have probably posted this in one of the previous peeves threads, but i haven't introduced myself to someone as mike since i was in high school. this is because i prefer being called michael. when i tell you my name is michael, it would be nice if you actually called me that.

    *especially* if we are not friends.

    one time my doctor called me mikey. wtf is that? i do you the professional courtesy of calling you doctor. it would be nice if you returned the favor, jerkass.
    Reply With Quote
     

  15. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    when i tell you my name is michael, it would be nice if you actually called me that.
    will do, mike.
    Reply With Quote
     

  16. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter modern buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Floating across the civilization / simplicity continuum.
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    i have probably posted this in one of the previous peeves threads, but i haven't introduced myself to someone as mike since i was in high school. this is because i prefer being called michael. when i tell you my name is michael, it would be nice if you actually called me that.

    *especially* if we are not friends.

    one time my doctor called me mikey. wtf is that? i do you the professional courtesy of calling you doctor. it would be nice if you returned the favor, jerkass.
    My name is Margaret. Here is my list of nicknames (some used to bother me, but I don't care anymore) people refer to me by:

    Maggie
    Mags
    Magret
    Margie
    Marge
    Maggles
    Magnum
    Magasaurus
    Magdaleon
    Mag
    Lambchop (family nickname)
    Maggie Moo
    Maggers
    and the list goes on.

    If you don't want someone to call you a name other than Michael, ignore their response. Then, when they get pissed, say "I'm sorry, are you talking to me? My name is Michael." Keep doing it until they get the point.
    Reply With Quote
     

  17. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew addictivepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalove
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply_Live View Post
    If you don't want someone to call you a name other than Michael, ignore their response. Then, when they get pissed, say "I'm sorry, are you talking to me? My name is Michael." Keep doing it until they get the point.
    LOL, it works too!


    Peeves from working in an office:

    1)
    Person A: Hey.
    Person B: How are you?
    Person B keeps walking not expecting an answer. OR Person A doesn't answer.

    WTF, you asked me a question! (Or I asked you!) Either way, when I ask someone a question, I kind of expect an answer. And when I am asked something, I feel an answer should be given!

    2)
    Person A: How are you?
    Person B: I'm okay. How are you?
    Person A: Good.

    Is it good that I am okay, or are you "good"?

    3)
    Person A: Hey, how are you?
    Person B: Good.

    And just walks away. Isn't it courtesy to ask how someone else is doing if they ask you?

    I understand people are busy and I don't expect people to stop and have a five minute conversation in the hall, but how much time/effort does it take to show courtesy? Or was I the only one raised that when asked how you are it is polite to ask that person how they are? And to answer them and not just keep walking?

    Reason number 239 why I'll never get a permanent (or a career-type) job working in an office.
    Reply With Quote
     

  18. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter modern buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Floating across the civilization / simplicity continuum.
    Posts
    8,105
    Quote Originally Posted by addictivepersona View Post

    1)
    Person A: Hey.
    Person B: How are you?
    Person B keeps walking not expecting an answer. OR Person A doesn't answer.
    Managers do this a lot. It's like they are attempting to acknowledge your existence, but fail miserably. Edit: If person B keeps walking, you bet your sorry ass I'm not answering you.

    I'll take a smile and a nod.


    Quote Originally Posted by addictivepersona View Post
    2)
    Person A: How are you?
    Person B: I'm okay. How are you?
    Person A: Good.
    This one is one that gets me. Sometimes, there isn't enough time to say all of this while you're walking by one another! So it's kind of said to the person after you've already walked away. Hahahahaha. Make that imagination in your mind; it'll make you giggle. What bad manners.


    Quote Originally Posted by addictivepersona View Post

    3)
    Person A: Hey, how are you?
    Person B: Good.
    If I'm person B, I thank the person for their words. "Good, thank you." When person B is someone else, I just keep on walking. They're too busy to talk, it's okay. (or if you're in an office, they are too mentally busy to ask)
    Reply With Quote
     

  19. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter Keaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    P.S. 118
    Posts
    15,987
    I hate that I always lose lighters....
    I have nine or ten floating around my house and at work.
    Reply With Quote
     

  20. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    up on the hill where they do do the boogie
    Posts
    20,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply_Live View Post
    If you don't want someone to call you a name other than Michael, ignore their response. Then, when they get pissed, say "I'm sorry, are you talking to me? My name is Michael." Keep doing it until they get the point.
    i find that instead of ignoring someone the way a 5 year old would, it wastes a lot less of my own time to just ask them to call me by my given name instead. this also avoids multiplying the annoyance of everyone involved.

    this of course does not solve the problem that i find it annoying in the first place.
    Reply With Quote
     

  21. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter Artificial Emotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK (Kent)
    Posts
    5,372
    Quote Originally Posted by alasdairm View Post
    i believe that about 10% of life is about what happens, the other 90% is how we choose to deal with it. hence, i believe it's quite possible to choose to not be annoyed by something. as with many things in life, initially it's easier said than done.

    alasdair
    I agree with you actually, thinking about it. Thanks for the different viewpoint.
    Reply With Quote
     

  22. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelight Crew addictivepersona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalove
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    i find that instead of ignoring someone the way a 5 year old would, it wastes a lot less of my own time to just ask them to call me by my given name instead. this also avoids multiplying the annoyance of everyone involved.

    this of course does not solve the problem that i find it annoying in the first place.
    Ignoring people works when timeliness of a response doesn't matter. When timeliness does matter, before you say your reply, say "(It's) Michael", pause, and then carry on with what you have to say. That eventually worked for me to get someone to quit calling me by my full name as I'm in the reverse boat of you, and I prefer the shortened version of my name. :P
    Reply With Quote
     

  23. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter Keaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    P.S. 118
    Posts
    15,987
    Is anyone else extremely disgusted by long fake fingernails?
    Reply With Quote
     

  24. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter Artificial Emotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK (Kent)
    Posts
    5,372
    ^ Yes, completely.

    Another thing I find repulsive is excessive makeup on women. I think it has a tendency to give girls/women that would look sexy without makeup, or with very little, a tacky, sleazy look. I feel sorry for them actually, since they must do it because they feel insecure, even if it is actually backfiring on them (well in my opinion at least - beauty is in the eye of the beholder).
    Reply With Quote
     

  25. Collapse Details
     
    Bluelighter voxmystic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Last Frontier
    Posts
    923
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post

    one time my doctor called me mikey. wtf is that? i do you the professional courtesy of calling you doctor. it would be nice if you returned the favor, jerkass.
    You're nicer than I am. If someone wants to be addressed by his or her last name, I don't let him/her use my first name. It REALLY pisses me off when Officer So-and-so calls me by my first name.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 123456789152555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •