Bluelight

Thread: SO Coffee Discussion

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

finished off my last bag of vietnamese coffee yesterday. had to cut the last cup with expresso. so sad. but i'm on to new things.

anyone made cold brew before? any tips on ratio and time? right now i'm pretty sure i have a little less than a pound of french roast in 100 ounces of water. at the 10 hour mark. thinking 20-24 hours will be good?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by brimz View Post
    I love coffee , but i only allow myself one cup a day as to much caffeine tends to make me anxious.

Being European i despise all of The Starbucks type places , they lack character & put smaller local places out of business.
    I was very upset to find out that a branch had been opened in Belem Lisbon , a place that has a tradition for the Best Custard tarts in the world & has some great little coffee shops.

Anyhow , i never drink instant i can't stand it , i would rather go without.
    My favorite brand is Lavazza and i always drink it with warm milk & sugar .

I would love a fancy machine like the one that Samadhi has , it looks great and i'm sure makes a lovely coffee , but i'm more than happy with my humble сafetière, i'm not sure what you guys in the states call them a Coffee Plunger or a French Press ?
    looks like thishttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...press-wiki.jpg

That's what I use a french press for tea and coffee. I have three different ones. French press exctract the most caffeine than any other method.

I'm gonna post more later, I love coffee and tea!

3. Collapse Details

"Hope she brings out the bong and not the fucking cafetiere..."

4. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Cannabis Discussion
    Just brewed a cup of arabica. I prefer good coffee black and instant doped with lots of cream and honey (fuck sugar!) It's my fortune to live in a city that takes coffee seriously. I'm slowly working myself through the menu at Dark City Coffee (add a .com and you have the site) but every now and again I'll head out to Kensington Market and café hop for a bit. Hm, that cup I just brewed didn't last long. Maybe just one more...

5. Collapse Details

Im greek and i love drinking frappe everyday. Its in our culture, the laid back thing while sippin some of this for hours. Whenever i go to greece me and my friends will go out and just sit for hours and drink frappe and play backgammon and just talk. I drink this stuff everyday. Nescafe coffee 3 coffee no sugar or milk. I love it black and bitter the taste is so good. I drink it all day everyday you know, you make one in the morning and just sip on it througout the entire day.

6. Collapse Details

hydro i have never made cold brew myself, i always just purchased it from this shitty little place called mardi gras zone because when you live in a warzone you don't have a real grocery store, just this place that sells indian food - in - a -space bag and cartons of cold brew coffee 2 for 3$.

we've been drinking 1000 faces Narino, best god damn columbian i've had in a long time. its also all roasted locally (in Athens) so it feels good and all that other localvore crap.

7. Collapse Details

I love coffee, to me it's a staple of modern life.

I brew at home, we have a small coffee chain here called Zarraffa's; they import a range of different coffee varieties. My favourite one is the Columbian... nutty and chocolaty =)

8. Collapse Details

yeah i usually do home brew because of the economical factors, but I like a breve(half and half instead of milk) with 3 shots in a small cup, either cap or latte style with extra foam, or if its a bad ass coffee shop and they got pure cream a cap or latte extra foam mmmmmmm fatty goodness, then if you like sugar sprinkle on top of foam and eat it off.mmmmmm

9. Collapse Details

In the shadow of the mountains by the sea
    Mmmm breves!

10. Collapse Details

I jumped into coffee to the point where I had an anxiety attack-- then promptly quit. I've gotten back into it, but never more than one or two cups a day, typically not on consecutive days.

I have a French press and buy locally branded stuff that is supposedly straight from wherever good coffee comes from. I drink it black, accompanied with sunshine and perhaps some jazz.

11. Collapse Details

seems pretty darn tacky to tip the coffee girl with your phone number...

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hydroazuanacaine View Post
    finished off my last bag of vietnamese coffee yesterday. had to cut the last cup with expresso. so sad. but i'm on to new things.

anyone made cold brew before? any tips on ratio and time? right now i'm pretty sure i have a little less than a pound of french roast in 100 ounces of water. at the 10 hour mark. thinking 20-24 hours will be good?
    There's a Vietnamese guy that works nearby who brews a uniquely potent, splendiferously odorous, bean.

he said it was about $20 and i'd have to go into the city to purchase. if i ever get $20 i'll report back with the specific name.

miss you bardeaux..

13. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Recovery Support
    ^Yeah, his name was the first thing I noticed about this revived thread.

Like thujone, I live in a town that takes coffee drinking seriously--we have quite a few local roasters. I used to work for a guy that was quite eccentric but an amazing cook. He drove everyone crazy as a boss but we lived for his holiday parties where he cooked everything over either on open fire in his fireplace or a self-built clay oven in his garden. After the delicious meals he would open a jar of green coffee berries and ask how many wanted coffee--then he would roast the beans by shaking them in a little roaster made for that purpose (from who knows where in his travels), grind them and pour into a glass carafe.

14. Collapse Details

Other Drugs
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Trip Reports
    Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    I must say that I am in a phase where I like a chain like Star*ucks, because even though they are a chain, you can still get a decent cup of coffee, go sit in a chair (depending what store you go to), use their wi-fi and chill. I have also learned about different types of coffee and tea from them. In the end, they are IMO, a well put together chain, like any other chain.

Now, I fully support the independent little coffee house. They have their own history(sometimes), occasionally they will have musicians playing, and things like that. Star*bucks wouldn't exist if it were not for these special little independent coffee houses.

This brings me to the last point. All the studying and research that I do has made me want to make my own flavors and mixes. Now I am starting to make my own blends, brew my own tea and add different flavors. It has made me want to do it myself.

I have even gone as far as invisioning my own shop, with the best of all that I have learn and seen.

i apologize if I went off topic. First post in here.

Anyway, I can appreciate all three types of coffee houses. They all fit into my life.

If I had to drop one, the chain would have to go. A corporation is a corporation.

15. Collapse Details

i recently learned how to make thai iced tea at home, and am now applying that knowledge to coffee. add to your coffee grounds: 2 crushed green cardamom pods, 2 whole cloves, 1 star anise, tablespoon of cocoa powder. put sweetened condensed milk in the bottom of your mug before you pour the coffee in - ta da, thai mocha.

16. Collapse Details

I've had traditional Ethiopian coffee a couple of times recently.
    It's super fucking strong and rich - and there is a bit of ceremony/ritual in the way it is served (from a small clay pot, into very small cups, and they always seem to burn frankincense or some similar incense when it brought out to your table) which is kinda fun.

I'm not a huge fan of excessive amounts of caffeine, and half a pot (ie a pot shared with another person) of the ethiopian coffee that people serve around here is about as much coffee as i can handle without becoming a jittery mess.

So it's just an occasional treat - but goddamn it tastes amazing.
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹

17. Collapse Details

there's a saying, i think from turkey...."black as death, strong as hell, sweet as love"

18. Collapse Details

That about sums it up
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹

19. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Cannabis Discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by tantric View Post
    i recently learned how to make thai iced tea at home, and am now applying that knowledge to coffee. add to your coffee grounds: 2 crushed green cardamom pods, 2 whole cloves, 1 star anise, tablespoon of cocoa powder. put sweetened condensed milk in the bottom of your mug before you pour the coffee in - ta da, thai mocha.
    hmm interesting. i only add cloves to my shitty beans so i can get through the bag, i like taking a chance on beans if they're on sale and relatively fresh still, but my main preference is for a local medium roast blend of african, indonesian and central american beans. i'm not big on the african beans in general but all the indo and central american beans i've tried have really hit the spot.

20. Collapse Details

I currently use a french press when I make my own. Otherwise, I go to corner Starbucks and add a lot of creme and sugar. A couple shots of that and a handful of codeine tablets is how I like to start my day. They even give me a cup of water so I don't have to swallow them with coffee. My complaint about Starbucks is that they sell a coffee that was good by 1960s standards of taste, but today, the bean, type of roast, and flavor is behind the times. Nobody smokes cigarettes anymore and consequently, people have a better sense of flavor when it comes to coffee. They need to modernize and get their quality up to modern standards.

I'm thinking about getting a siphon coffee maker with the alcohol burner, a burr grinder, and maybe a mini roasting kit like they do at Ethiopian restaurants. That or a nitrogen storage system to keep the bulk roasted beans from being spoiled by oxidation.
    Last edited by socko; 11-01-2017 at 22:43.

21. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Cannabis Discussion
    aye french press is good though lately i've moved back to drip with coarse grind and it tastes a bit more fresh to me. Starbucks seems to love roasting the shit out of their beans, i've heard it's done to improve flavour consistency across batches but it sends an inconsistent message to have such inviting decor (arguably) but then pair the atmosphere with mass market coffee. though lately i have seen a couple of drive-thru Starbucks pop up so i guess that makes it clear where their priorities lie...

22. Collapse Details

I read the same thing about Starbucks: they burn the crap out of their beans to give them a consistent flavor. The resulting coffee is extremely bitter and burnt tasting. It's only drinkable after mixing in tons of sugar and cream.

I don't think that business model is sustainable. The founder of Starbucks was a chainsmoker who started the business in the 1960s when robusta beans were the only thing available in the USA. At the time, Starbucks was one of the only places to get coffee made from arabica beans. Robusta beans are cheap and their flavor is notoriously bitter. They became popular in WWII because of disruption of trade routes due to the Japanese capturing the Pacific islands that produced arabica. That was a huge innovation. Gen X and Millenials have a more sophisticated palate, and lots of stores have opened that sell better tasting coffee that doesn't need to be drowned in creme and sugar. The sense of taste weakens, and especially the ability to detect bitter flavors, in old people and in people who chainsmoke tobacco cigarettes. I suspect that as that as that generation dies off, Starbucks will introduce some better roasts and higher quality beans.

I think you get the best coffee for the least effort and cheapest price with the French press. Plus, they are portable. I used one every day when I was living off the grid and camping. The beans are the best when brewed the day they were roasted and just after they were ground. They oxidize and are detectably bitter within a couple of days.
    Last edited by socko; 12-01-2017 at 17:12.

23. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Cannabis Discussion
    that's a good insight but Starbucks only needs to be better than the closest competitor and market saturation + brand consistency is a powerful advantage.

anecdotally, i had a colleague who competed successfully with Tim Horton's by selling better coffee at a higher price. all he had to do was sell from a location ~200m closer to the bulk of his customers than Tim Horton's was (and FWIW some of these customers still ended up at Tim's) but the real trick was that his coffeeshop was just a hole in the wall. no shit, there was only enough place in the shop for TWO customers to sit and at most five customers in total. so that brought the cost of rent down enough that he was able to turn a profit. just goes to show that quality alone is not a killer feature, to compete there are other factors of equal importance. at the end of the week, the balance sheet shows only red or black

24. Collapse Details

and everyone should know this - coffee chemistry. when coffee is left exposed to air, it oxidizes and turns bitter. for good iced coffee, just put it in an air tight container in the fridge/freezer.

25. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Other Drugs
    Drugs in the Media
    Anyone else here obsessed with Turkish coffee? I'll take a picture tomorrow morning when I brew up another pot (I'm only a one pot a day kinda guy - and today I think one was perhaps a bit much).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast