Thread: Quitting/Tapering Thread.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234561222 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Baltimore. Spending my rent money on filipino hookers
    What is pst i tried googling it and all i find is a food additive lmao

2. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    ^ poppy seed tea.

Just of out of interest, for the heroin users here who/were are doing like a gram plus a day, how do you manage to finance a habit like that? I'm not that cluely with smack prices, but I have an idea that it would be a significant amount of money and more than most people earn a day.

Mr Ibis: I get what you mean, and I think for some people, or some types of drugs that tapering is necessary. benzos in particular, it is completely necessary to taper due to the risk of seizure if you stop cold turkey. Alcohol, for the same reason, also needs benzos to be substituted with it.

3. Collapse Details

I had a successful business which I ran into the ground because of heroin/depression. I spent six figures which could have paid off my mortgage straight into my arms. Instead of paying off my house, now I don't own one.

4. Collapse Details

Everyone has been saying that 2-4mg of subs is more then enough with any kind of habit but i took 2 mg this morning waited an hour and a half then took another 2mg.... when i still felt like shit an hour and a half later i took the rest of the strip to make it all 8mg.. id say that took 95%the of my withdrawal away but the 2-4 mg definately wasnt cutting it. Btw i was shooting half a gram to a gram of GOOD raw a day

I plan on doing a taper and will write on my blog dosages and how it goes. Planned on tryint to not take any subs today but fuck after about 30. Hours after my last shot i felt like shit and couldnt wait any longer. Besides i have 4 or 5. More sub strips before i gotta get any more

5. Collapse Details

^ When I tried using subs from a habit similar to yours I found I had to use at least 16mgs before I got any relief at all. I was snorting them as well, which apparently raises the bioavailability and kicks in quicker. It's not nice sniffing that much crappy tasting shit up your nose though.

6. Collapse Details

I'm glad this topic has so few replies, it must mean the majority of AUDD aren't addicted to anything at the moment, or they've already got clean.

Congratulations everyone!

I hope to join you by next year, that's been my goal since I started this whole methadone thing, now that I have a doctor who understands me and my wish to get clean, I've got an even better chance of that happening. Even though I've had a few set-backs, I can still do it if I endure an enormous amount of pain... well, more pain than I originally anticipated anyway. It's going to be enormously painful regardless of how many set backs, but now I have to do weekly reductions instead of fortnightly if I want to meet my goal.

Again, well done Bluelight AU. You make me proud.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by opi8 View Post
    I'm glad this topic has so few replies, it must mean the majority of AUDD aren't addicted to anything at the moment, or they've already got clean.

Congratulations everyone!
    maybe it means people are habituated but doing nothing about it!?

8. Collapse Details

^ or too fucked up to log in

9. Collapse Details

My doctors tapering me down from 5mg of xanax to four next week to treat my not existant anxiety problems and fake addiction.

Really starting to feel bad about being completly dishonest to his face to get the drug I want.

10. Collapse Details

I just quit valium cold turkey after returning from overseas. It's been 7 days now and it hasnt been too bad. Was taking about 10-20mg daily for 3 months with xanax thrown in occasionally, so just decided to stop rather than taper off.

Have tapered off a worse valium habit before over a 9 month period and honestly feel it was a waste of time, wish I just got off it waaaayy quicker.

11. Collapse Details

I've removed some off topic posts. Please keep on the topic of quitting or tapering , not doctor shopping or drug availability.

12. Collapse Details

Christ there are alot of rules on this forum.

I was asked how many doctors I went to berfore getting the script I wanted, I didnt post any tips or tricks on how to manipulate a GP.

Why was my post deleted?

13. Collapse Details

The question wasn't appropriate for this thread, and neither was your answer. This is the quitting/tapering thread and that discussion has no relevance here.

14. Collapse Details

Copy that, HEIL BLUELIGHT!

15. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by basix View Post
    I just quit valium cold turkey after returning from overseas. It's been 7 days now and it hasnt been too bad. Was taking about 10-20mg daily for 3 months with xanax thrown in occasionally, so just decided to stop rather than taper off.

Have tapered off a worse valium habit before over a 9 month period and honestly feel it was a waste of time, wish I just got off it waaaayy quicker.
    valium has a long half life, and withdrawal might be delayed for up to 2 weeks i think. does anybody else think he might start his WD soon?

16. Collapse Details

Lately I've been taking a day off of any opiates every so often, especially after I've gone a bit all out on oxy or smack. Does anyone know whether this is more effective at reducing tolerance and therefore reducing sickness, than simply consistently taking my usual dose of pst?

17. Collapse Details

Ok, back on topic, first of all, I want to thank Footsy for making this thread. ITs another great topic created by you footsy!

I started out my meth addict career doing just one point of ice a week every week or every second week on liek a friday or saturday as well. I too was thinking, hmm meh, this is alright, I'm not gonna get hooked/addicted etc etc like everyone else

pretty soon, before I know it, HELLO 5-6day benders how are you today.
    and then, again, before I know it, 2yrs+ down the track of 5day benders+ 2day Sleep, REPEAT. etc
    getting hooked was easy. getting unhooked, its the cunt part

I'm not gonna lie to everyone and say, oh hai I'm now an ex-meth addict etc. I still do it. but, I have been actively trying my best to cut down on usage and also cut down on the durations of binges. Its hard, but it is working. I've gone from 5day'ers for as long as I can remember to, STRICTLY weekends. Everyweek, I alawys aim for like maybe just 1day a week, but yeah shit happens and meth is just that powerful . Still since I've decided to quit/cutdown, I haven't done a 5day bender at all . The most is like a 3day'er YO

I know I've just copy and pasted the last couple paragraphs from the meth discussion thread. but I think it fits better here in this thread

Now lets talk about my love for opiates :P
    Yes, I am one of those ppl that love both stims and downers ! ;D

Probably started taking opiates about 18months ago. It used to be just something I did when coming off of a stim binge. As time went on. My love for stims have decreased and my new found love for downers increased. As most people would say, yes I've replaced one drug relationship/love/addiction to another one . Oxy's are my fav's . Well it used to be CDUB (hihi footsy yes i've just used that word what ya gonna do about it) but this one week, I was lucky enough to try a patch of Fent. I can't remember what dosage the fent patch it was though. I cut the fent patch into strips, I think like 10 strips, and that one patch, lasted me 10 days or so. I was dosing it sublingualy. It was 10days of heaven! Nodding from the moment i got up, and til the moment I went back to bed!. That totally destroyed my tolerance. CDUBS never worked for me since that patch. So then, I found an oxy contact and started to use it more and more and more and more!. This contact was awesome, always had oxys, when ever I needed more, I just txt the person, and if at the time there was no oxys, it'd only be about 1-2hr wait before oxys were available to be picked up. This lasted for a very very long time. Maybe 12months or so. But because I was more of a stim user back then, the oxy use wasn't daily until towards the end of that 12months. I think I was about 3-4months of daily usage at the end when the contact had stopped having oxys. Cold Turkey'd it. Man that was some INTENSE 4-5days of WD's. I do not wish that upon my worst enemys yo. Cold/Hot Flushes, Muscle pain, could not eat, could not get outta bed, felt like death times 50times worse etc.
    B
    Since then, I haven't been able to get oxys regularly at all. Which is probably a good thing . But when I do get my hands on em, I smash thru em pretty quick, and even though it'd only be like a short binge like maybe 4-5days. The WD's still come and play games with me. Oh well. The HIGH is def well worth the WD's atm anyways

/end rant and plugs another oxy
    Last edited by drug_mentor; 21-06-2012 at 15:17.

18. Collapse Details

valium has a long half life, and withdrawal might be delayed for up to 2 weeks i think. does anybody else think he might start his WD soon?
    Heh funny you should say that, day 8/9 now and for the first time had some trouble sleeping last night, and been getting vivid dreams but thats about it. Will see how next couple days go... Can go back to my old GP if it gets too bad.

My main reason I dont want to taper is last time i was taking valium daily for 6 months or so, about 20-25mg daily, then got put on a taper following the ashton method and it seemed so drawn out. I was tapering for 10 months - longer than the actual time I took the drug. The whole time feeling pretty shitty. When I finally just quit from 2.5mgs missing the last few tapers I felt alot better, wishing I had gotten off it months ago.

19. Collapse Details

I just realized i never posted an update on this thread as tk my tapering

Long stiry short it failed and i got smackbagain the last couple daysbm
    Im trying to find a subocone doctor now though because im realizing that i was trying to do it much faster then ill be capable of sicceding with consideting the facts that i have tk do it while working a fukl time job,; i had a pretty big IV habit and withdrawalvmakes my crohns disease way worse ... so akl that combined ive come to tge conclusion that my original 5 day suboxone detox is defibately too fast

20. Collapse Details

good to see everyones still trying to hang in here. i dont think mr ibis meant anything by what he said, he just shoots from the hip. i personally have never got anything off poppy seed tea but i have a couple of friends who have been hooked on the stuff for a couple of years, one went on to get hooked on smack in india but has since cleaned up, the other has just been kicked out of his band because hes too unreliable and forgoes practice to get high. man addiction is sad, when i look back at the last 2 and a half years of my life there is nothing that i am remotely proud of and i have so many regrets. living a drug addicted life is so fucken sad, all the money flushed down the toilet, the sneaking around and hiding it from friends, putting drugs first before pretty much anything, seeing yourself get skinny and sallow and sick and all the worry and hurt you cause for yourself and anyone who loves you. plus run ins with the law, i was soo lucky looking back, being sick and desperate and scoring and using in really bad places and situations. i think the only thing that saved me is i never really looked like your classic junkie/speed freak. i almost got bottled by a guy on the street that shall go unnamed because he had never seen me get searched and thought i was working undercover. thats another thing too i guess, getting the shit kicked out of you by a psycho or getting robbed and bashed. all that just to get high! fucken hell! haha its so easy to say but when you're in the midst of it you just blank all that shit out.

anyway im still in the middle of withdrawals, i had my last 2.5mg of valium last saturday and finished my last .5mg of suboxone last thursday and have since changed onto 160mg codeine CWEs in the evening so i can sleep. i still feel like absolute shite, today was probably the worst day ive had so far and i had work, fuck it suuucked. i see your guys point on tapering but really i think its what works for you, i think you're just as likely to fail or succeed either way depending on whether you actually want to quit. ibis i know you've quit and relapsed a few times times but this last time you stuck it out because you really wanted to, do you think it would have been any different if you didnt have or weren't ready for something else? i've done cold turkey and tapered a few times each and the thought of doing cold turkey again from a high dose really doesnt do it for me, maybe its because im a big girl but i find its just an unnecessary amount of hell to go through for no reason. using codeine takes the edge off for me and means i can sleep and function at work and from what ive experienced it doesnt actually prolong my withdrawals anymore than if id gone cold turkey, i use a pretty low dose (160-200mg) once a day for a week (longer this time because of bupe's arsehole of a half-life) and then reduce my dose quickly over another week and havent suffered any withdrawals when i jump at 30-60mg. heroin withdrawals are almost always 2 weeks long for me when i have a solid habit, maybe because i snort and dont shoot (yeah i know shut up) it takes a wee bit longer to run its course. i dunno thats just slightly educated speculation but the first week is physically fucked and the second is more the the mental side. a solid habit for me would be .5 - .8 a day. not tapering on benzo's would be totally out of the question for me, jumping off after tapering as quickly as i could to 5mg and then to 2.5mg for about 6 days has been rough, i was ok until the day i came off completely but jesus its been brutal since sunday, much worse than i was hoping for. jumping off at 30-40mg daily would have been unbearable even without combined opiate withdrawal. actually i had to go for 5 days without benzos a few months ago because i abused my script, it was hell.

i think i should be back to 80% in 2 weeks from now which seems a mile off but fuck itll be worth it. after being on methadone for 8 months then onto bupe for 5 and valium for about 7 i cant wait to wake up and feel normal. goodluck guys. if anyone wants some friendly ideas on the methadone or suboxone programs and quitting opiates or benzos pm and ill help out if i can.

21. Collapse Details

I've removed a few off-topic posts. This thread is not the place for personal attacks. If you don't like a post just report it. Any further posts which contain attacks or refer to the previous ones will receive a warning or infraction.

Play nice and stay on topic please

22. Collapse Details

i got a drug problem: i need twice the amount to get fucked off them.
    at my peak was on 140mg methadone per day. Today at 45mg. Reducing 5mg per week right now, hoping to get off opiates altogether. You guys probably think i am nuts but i honestly am craving to just be 100% normal and sober. It's been so long, i want to feel what it's like to have a 100% drug free mind.

23. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    [snip]

I'll finish this off with a simple statement I hope honestly echoes through the minds of some of you.

Maintenance therapy only holds true a few points of great help, mainly not to just the user - but for the community.
    a) maintenance therapies reduce crime on the community, and harm to the user as a result of such crime
    b) it may aid in helping the addict reform some of his bad habits.

The underlying issue with such methods of cessation i find are this;
    a) by going on a therapy, ideally you just switch one drug for another - this is not optimal in cessation, you need to replace behaviors with the drugs, not drugs.
    b) the withdrawal period is greatly increased by taking up such therapies, meaning an eventual cessation is much less likely, at least in the short term (this is proven by people being on methadone/bupe for several years to decades at a time)
    c) Ideally you're just replacing the money that goes into a dealers pocket that likely needs such money, with money into pharmaceutical companies profiting off your addiction when they already make more than enough.

So in hindsight, the only clear way off such drugs is with courage, determination, proper therapy and taking a fucking good look at yourself and setting realistic goals.

Or hey, you can try, and fail, and fail, and fail again, deluding yourself all the while that following the status quo helps.

[snip]
    Last edited by Divine Moments; 22-06-2012 at 02:19. Reason: removed off-topic tirade

24. Collapse Details

Many off-topic and abusive posts removed. I have edited the above post because it also contained a good chunk of on-topic content.

I shall revise my previous statement: Any further posts which contain attacks or refer to the previous ones will receive an infraction.

Please don't make us close this thread, it has a lot of potential. It isn't, however, here for entertainment or to air personal grievances.

25. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I'd also like to thank Footzcrazy for starting this thread. It has potential to be a good resource and already has some interesting accounts in it.

About your occasional 'day off' question...

Lately I've been taking a day off of any opiates every so often, especially after I've gone a bit all out on oxy or smack. Does anyone know whether this is more effective at reducing tolerance and therefore reducing sickness, than simply consistently taking my usual dose of pst?
    To be honest I think the occasional day of abstinence will only slightly slow down the speed at which your tolerance grows, rather than reducing it. Having said that, any occasional day off is better than none.

And are you using oxy and/or smack as well as the PST? Or do you miss the PST when you use other opiates?

Anyway, I would assume that PST withdrawal is likely to a be pretty drawn out affair if PST contains the full spectrum of alkaloids which actual fresh pod tea contains. A few years back I wrapped up a six-month binge (daily use, twice a day) on pod tea quite abruptly (ie. I suddenly ran out of material!) and had a very unpleasant following five days, to put it mildly. During those days I kept telling myself that it wouldn't last much longer and that I was going to feel better soon, and that helped me to get through it.

The problem was that once the acute part was over, the short-lived excitement of not feeling like utter rubbish quickly gave way to a far longer lasting malaise (PAWS) which ended up being worse than the initial withdrawal. I was very determined not to relapse and then have to put myself through the WDs again, so I didn't give in to temptation. What I did do, unfortunately, was try to fill the gap with other substances. Nothing worked but i kept trying in vain and using larger amounts. This was the point where I got into poly drug abuse: combining things in an attempt to get that perfect feeling. That turned out to be really mentally and physically damaging. A four month period of daily stimulant, benzodiazepine, and alcohol use put me into the worst state I've ever been in. Ironically, I saw that I had been comparatively quite healthy and well-balanced while I was addicted to the pods; still socialised, still exercised, still felt that I was myself.

Anyway, being mentally and physically dependent on something is not a good way to be. But for some of us it's not enough to be dependency-free and living a healthy, wholesome life. There always seems something lacking.

And to opi8: Good luck with it. It seems like you've got momentum and the determination to get there this time. I hope it works out for you. I like reading your posts, they're always informative or interesting.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234561222 ... LastLast