Bluelight

Thread: How to prevent the munchies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to prevent the munchies? 
    Weed
    I have been on a diet recently and have been also excercising, trying to lose some weight. I quit weed for about two weeks and lost an extra two pounds from not snacking as much while high. While I am high, I can stuff my face, eating a whole box of cookies or something. Now I am on a diet right now and I do not smoke daily but often on weekends. Even when I am dieting and snacking while high, I eat only low calorie snacks, but I could eat double or triple the amount and feel near starving. Why is this?

Any personal tips to prevent myself from either feeling as hungry while high...?

2. Collapse Details

All I can recommend is discipline or just not smoking at all, you can't stop your brain from producing more of the neurotransmitter responsible for hunger, it just doesn't work that way. That's why it seems like you're still hungry while you're eating, it's a certain chemical which your brain produces and using cannabinoids makes your brain produce far more of that chemical. Ever notice how when you smoke weed all day every day for weeks and then stop how you're not really hungry anymore? That's your brain not producing enough anandamide, because it got over stimulated by the other cannabinoids.

I can easily not eat when I'm hungry because I'm used to it, even when I'm high, that's all I can tell you to do. If you do want to smoke while on a diet all I can suggest is doing more exercise since that's rather easy to do when high, or just go binge on raw food, eating it is awesome and you won't really have to worry about calories.

3. Collapse Details

i sometimes eat before i get high so im not extra hungry when the munchies kick in

4. Collapse Details

Yeah, I think eating beforehand is your best bet.

5. Collapse Details

Temporary Ban
    keep your mind occupied on something productive, keep moving.

6. Collapse Details

I wished with all my heart that we could just...leave this world behind. Rise like two angels in the night and magically...disappear.
    Don't smoke a lot, just very tiny amounts.

7. Collapse Details

Just ignore it, if you cant ignore the munchies you don't have very much mental resolve imo

8. Collapse Details

Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmytry View Post
    i sometimes eat before i get high so im not extra hungry when the munchies kick in
    That does the trick for me.

9. Collapse Details

* eat first
    * drink water
    * exercise (I hit the bong, then do pushups/situps/etc and the rush from that helps block out the desire for chips)

10. Collapse Details

If I eat before I am high, I usually eat anyway after I smoke haha, so I usually wait to eat until after I smoke. I think my best bet is just try to avoid having food that I like in the house or low cal/healthy food. I just don't understand how I can feel so hungry, it's like all I can think about sometimes. Maybe this feeling could be enhanced because I am on a diet. But I have never experienced the feeling of not being hungry / lack of appetite when I "quit" smoking - I think due to the fact I do go long periods of time without smoking anyway. When I do smoke, it's like I go fucking nuts over food, very weird, it's like a prioritity.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stormcharger View Post
    Just ignore it, if you cant ignore the munchies you don't have very much mental resolve imo

That's what I tell people that say their Xanax withdrawals are too much to go through. It doesn't make it true, it just makes me an opinionated dickhead.

[EDIT: OP, I say embrace the food. I'm not a fan of diets and calorie-counting and all that jazz. I eat a fuck ton and my weight hasn't fluctuated more than 7lbs since 2008-ish, so I say enjoy it. Weed makes me enjoy most things more than I do sober, and eating is definitely one of those things.

Really, though, if you don't want to embrace it and can't, for whatever reason, ignore your munchies, then you're left with two choices that I can see: 1. stop smoking, and 2. Only keep health food in the house. It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out that you can't pig out too badly if you don't have the essential junk food.]
    Last edited by Jibult; 28-11-2012 at 16:21. Reason: kept e'r'thang on topic

12. Collapse Details

uhh ignoring hunger is much different to withdrawing from a drug

13. Collapse Details

Non-Electronic Music Discussion
    MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs

Nah yo, hunger is like withdrawing from food

14. Collapse Details

When did I compare the two? I likened my response in one situation to your response in another situation, and tied it together by insinuating you're a dick much in the same way I am.

Fuck, man, you're kind of slow too. I hate having to explain shit that really shouldn't need any explanation... I mean, the words were right there for you. All you had to do was understand them.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jibult View Post
    [EDIT: OP, I say embrace the food. I'm not a fan of diets and calorie-counting and all that jazz. I eat a fuck ton and my weight hasn't fluctuated more than 7lbs since 2008-ish, so I say enjoy it. Weed makes me enjoy most things more than I do sober, and eating is definitely one of those things.

Really, though, if you don't want to embrace it and can't, for whatever reason, ignore your munchies, then you're left with two choices that I can see: 1. stop smoking, and 2. Only keep health food in the house. It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out that you can't pig out too badly if you don't have the essential junk food.]
    Thanks, good practical advice as other have pointed out. I was just looking for others opinions and personal things they do to avoid the munchies especially while dieting. Just a general questions of how others or recommendations on the subject.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by parachuteantics View Post
    Thanks, good practical advice as other have pointed out. I was just looking for others opinions and personal things they do to avoid the munchies especially while dieting. Just a general questions of how others or recommendations on the subject.

Personally, when I'm hungry but can't or don't want to eat, I just drink a lot of water. It tricks your stomach into thinking your full through sheer volume, and also packs a whopping 0 calories.

Celery is also a good choice, being roughly 90%-95% water. Remember ants on a log? Fuckin' kindergarten HIT, man, and all's you need is some celery, peanut butter and raisins. I always said fuck the ants, though, I can't stand raisins.

17. Collapse Details

Try to make an effort to stay engrossed in something while high

And stay hydrated!

18. Collapse Details

As a stoner with an incredibly fast metabolism who usually eats 4-6 meals a day I've had plenty of experience.

1) Hydration: cannot be stressed enough, some people say 50% of hunger is thirst, I cannot verify that statistic but H2O is fucking important.

2) Pre-munching: I think the idea is that you're able to ignore the munchies long enough that they eventually fade to a reasonable level. Works pretty well.

3) Stimulants: I would not recommend this method but I was born in the Ritalin generation and where doctors gave out cherry flavored amphetamines to anyone who brought their kid to the doctor. Caffeine can work as well.

4) Get yo' ass off the couch you lazy pot head! As I get older I find myself veggin' out of the couch more, but usually it's just to play with the cat. She's so damn cute that the thought of munchies doesn't even cross my mind.

5) Selective snacking: I find that protein-rich snacks take longer to absorb and thus stave off munchies longer. Nuts and berries rock (if you're a starving student then go mix up some custom made trail mix at your local specialty grocer, proceed to self checkout and ring it up as oats, or whatever the cheapest thing happens to be).

6) Don't smoke weed.

If someone could direct me to a good resource on single/double serving edible extraction methods it would be much appreciated.

19. Collapse Details

Disraeli beers, you nailed it. I smoke mad dro and don't really munchy too much because I always eat first, stay hydrated, take prescription amphetamines, and always have healthy food on hand to eat before AND after getting stoned. Also If I'm smoking sativa instead of indica, it's more stimulating to get up and move around rather than pass the F out.

20. Collapse Details

- Tobacco
    - Caffeine

Also plenty of other drugs you probably aren't interested in doing right now if all you want is to relax on weed without munchies... the things i mentioned are pretty mild and help even in small amounts

21. Collapse Details

Keep drinking water. or as everyone has said before eating before is always good

22. Collapse Details

i could swear ive seen this thread before. exact same question. my answer still stands:

ADDERALL (or other stimulants).

Enhances the good effects of weed, reduces couch lock and munchies, allows you to get lots of shit done while baked outta your mind. also the glorious headrushes happen much more often. just make sure you drink water.

if you dont want to take another drug, just eat before hand, or simply get a big jug of water and sip on it every time you feel hungry. unless you really are very hungry, you should have no problem, as the water will suppress your appetite somewhat. or you could just lock up the food before you get stoned and then get it out again when your sober.

23. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Disraeli_Beers View Post
    As a stoner with an incredibly fast metabolism who usually eats 4-6 meals a day I've had plenty of experience.

If someone could direct me to a good resource on single/double serving edible extraction methods it would be much appreciated.
    yo got your answer right here http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/6...ck+fry+edibles
    i havent tried it myself due to the fact that it will stink up your house, and other people live here...

24. Collapse Details

i always smoke a cig whenever i get the munchies lost about 15lbs doing that cuz weed increases the hell out of ur metabolism

25. Collapse Details

Recovery Support
    Design Staff
    Why not eat healthy things? I've eaten plain sliced carrots out of a can and they were delicious..and trippy looking to boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast