Bluelight

Synthetic Cannabinoids Study

Thread: BL Reading List version Women's Lit 101

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Thumbs up
    [quote]Originally posted by Simon:
    Oh, just read The God of Small Things by Arundhati (sp?) Roy. Absolutely fantastic. Right up there with Rushdie or Garcia Marquez, IMHO.
    Yes, it is fantastic. I am reading my first Rushdie novel right now, too. Have to admit, it's slow going if I don't pay good attention.

2. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Yeah, I just re-read this thread and saw you already mentioned it. Which Rushdie are you reading? Moor's Last Sigh is my favourite.

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I am reading Midnight's Children. I am enjoying it, but it takes my full attention. I plan on getting through a big chunk tonight in the bath, and then finishing by the weekend (I always feel guilty "leisure" reading during school).

4. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Werd. "Middlemarch" - truly symphonic literature.
    ALSO - hello? The Brontes? Part of the incredible mystery of reading them is wondering how they ever got the stimulation to make these incredibly keen observations about human character while living lives tucked away on these horribly dreary moors....But "Villette" is my favorite book of all time. Never has there been a narrative voice like the main character, Lucy Snow.
    In terms of feminist theory texts - Jean Baker Miller's "Towards a New Psychology of Women." Clear, incisive, seminal. So to speak.

5. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Really? Never read that one - I dig the obvious - Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre.

6. Collapse Details

by Don Miguel Ruiz
    Wouldn't say it was a a all female crowd that would only enjoy this book.
    Read and see what I'm talking about.

7. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Thumbs up
    Upon recommondation from this thread, I just finished reading the Handmaid's tale. It was excellent. When I came to the end of Offred's writing, I actually felt a little bit of pain because I didn't want it to end. I just wanted to read more and more. I did find the last section annoying but that's because it was a very accurate dipiction of an academic's speech, and I strongly dislike academic's speeches. Anyhow, fantastic book, I recommend it, too. It actually found it scarier and more fascinating than 1984.
    [ 25 January 2003: Message edited by: shannabanana ]

8. Collapse Details

I'd like to second the earlier nomination of Poppy Z. Brite. Very interesting to see a woman writer who can write men well, can write gay men astoundingly well, but can't write anything but the most shallow and one-dimensional of female characters.
    Her best known work is "Lost Souls", no it wasn't made into a movie with Winona Ryder. The book mentioned in the earlier post is called "Exquisite Corpse", hard stuff to stomach, some very extreme depictions of violence.
    Also look for "Drawing Blood", which is a ghost story of sorts, and "Swamp Foetus", a collection of short stories.
    Wire.

9. Collapse Details

that hunk of land between texas and arizona
    Originally posted by Simon
    Oh, just read The God of Small Things by Arundhati (sp?) Roy. Absolutely fantastic. Right up there with Rushdie or Garcia Marquez, IMHO.
    This just goes to show, trust the librarian.

I had to read The God of Small Things twice, but oh... my...god... I think this one should go on anyone's "must read list". I'm reading One Hundred Years of Solitute and it is also shaping up to be very good.

10. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Peace
    since my last contribution was a bit dumb, i just finished reading Etel Adnans' Sitt Marie Rose, and I'd recommend it for its compositional style alone, "The incredulity toward meta-narratives that Lyotard characterizes as the post-modernist condition is embodied in th enarrative technique of Sitt Marie Rose." (Thomas Foster, PMLA Journal, taken from the back cover ).

Its about the Lebanonese civil war in the '70s.

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Words wants to stick with bluelighter original contributions and some outsiders contributions, but not reviews of outsiders contributions.

Actually, there are book suggestion threads all over the board (the lounge, life, aus' social, thought and awareness), but sort of done differently in each forum.

12. Collapse Details

that hunk of land between texas and arizona
    ^ Couldn't have said it better myself

plus everyone knows the smart people hang out in here

ok, I read this in high school andI've been tearing my house apart trying to find the copy I had of it with annotations, but Alice Walker's The Color Purple is incredible, even if it does violate my own rules (Oprah involvement).

Also, I read a book 2 years ago for a Women Studies class about a girl growing up in a village someplace in africa. It was fantastically written but I can't remember ANYTHING else about it... any ideas?
    Last edited by Yesterday; 09-04-2003 at 06:13.

13. Collapse Details

Star
    Originally posted by Yesterday

plus everyone knows the smart people hang out in here

yes
    we all know

there was a discussion about this in a&f that you can read the whole spiel or whatnot

we get the book threads
    and we like it, or something

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12