Bluelight

Synthetic Cannabinoids Study

Thread: BL Reading List version Women's Lit 101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    BL Reading List version Women's Lit 101 
    that hunk of land between texas and arizona
    Wink
    Ok, I've been reading heavily from the original Bluelighter Reading List and we do have some awesome reads there, but I can't help but be a little dissapointed at how male-dominated the list is.
    Don't get me wrong, a good book is a good book, but I would like to create a new list that focuses on female authors who don't suck.
    So none of the shit my mom reads when she is on the beach. And anything that has been featured on Oprah is automatically disqualified with the exception of Toni Morrison and Maya Angelou.
    As opposed to the last thread, these books do not have to specificaly relate to bluelight, I'd rather just honor women who write and appeal to people of our mindset, particularly the ones who don't whine about their lovelives the whole novel.
    To get it started once again:
    ANYTHING BY MARGARET ATWOOD this woman rocks and is a genius, The Handmaidens Tale and The Blind Assasin are a good place to start, but you cannot go wrong with this writer.
    Briget Jone's Diary by Helen Fielding (I had to put it, the ultimate guilty pleasure)
    The Shipping News by Annie Proulx... they gave this woman a Pulitzer for a reason. Read this book.
    The Awakening by Kate Chopin... my high school favorite.

2. Collapse Details

i'm sad to say that there's only one book on my shelf that's by a female author. it's a good one though, check it out:
    geek love by katherine dunn

3. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Wink
    sexist

4. Collapse Details

^^^ start your own damn thread if you don't like this one.
    name caller.

5. Collapse Details

Heart
    Excellent idea!
    Off the top of my head:
    Madeleine L'Engle - any of her work, really, especially the Murry family novels (including A Wrinkle In Time)
    Elizabeth Wurtzel - writer of Prozac Nation, one of the best of the new female authors IMO
    Katherine Neville - her book The 8 is brilliant! She has a knack for combining fiction and ancient history
    Sandra Cisnero - The House on Mango Street, one of the world's top Latina authors

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Thumbs up
    Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things

7. Collapse Details

•Kathy Acker - Blood and Guts in High School
    • Marianne Faithful - Faithful (her autobiog)

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter

So none of the shit my mom reads when she is on the beach. And anything that has been featured on Oprah is automatically disqualified with the exception of Toni Morrison and Maya Angelou.
    Briget Jone's Diary by Helen Fielding (I had to put it, the ultimate guilty pleasure)

I too seem to read maily male authors BUT Have read quite a few of the Oprah bookclub books, books written by women & without exception have been excellent.
    so you're looking for sort of 'alternative' writers? Poppy Z Brite is pretty fucking awesome, damnit i cant remember the name of the book I'm thinking of though, it's set in New Orleans , If i think of it I'll edit this.Ok i *think it's called 'beautiful corpse' maybe 'immaculate corpse'? anyone care to jump in?
    Totally agree with Magret atwood & the god of small things, oh AND the Marrianne Faithful autobiography , alothough I wished she'd just shut the fuck up about Mick Jagger.
    'Wild Swans' by Jung Chang, 3 generations of woman in China, the delvopment of modern China , Chaiman Maos crazy antics & all, a brillant read.
    More to come...maybe.
    [ 17 December 2002: Message edited by: *kell* ]

9. Collapse Details

Wink
    I am basing my judgement on Oprahs book club on the following two books:
    Shes Come Undone by Wally Lamb and
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
    they were both GOD AWFUL. I highly advise you to avoid these books at all costs unless you want to read some whiny mediocre trash with a sad ending that makes it "deep and poingant".
    Also, FYI I have some weird guilt thing where I cannot stop reading a book once I begin reading it, therefore I like to screen my selections before I am stuck with them the whole way through.

10. Collapse Details

Heart
    ^^^^ yeah She's Come Undone sucked. I completely despised the main character by the end.
    It's been out a few years, but Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club is a great femme-centered read.

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Molly Jong-Fast *Normal Girl*...great book...bout a cliched topic but very well writen and interesting
    And Kaye Gibbons- *Ellen FOster*...ive read that about 5 times and I STILL love it...easy read but an amazing book. Kaye Gibbons rocks.

12. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Angela Carter: I've only read Nights at the Circus, but it rocks. Puts me in mind somewhat of Thomas Pynchon (though not as incredibly complex).

13. Collapse Details

She is the outer most extreme of feminist writers. Painful for most males to read, akin to being castrated. I think she has had her day, but nonetheless remains a standard. I think she is essential for any women's studies because she marks the end boundary of radical feminism. This is necessary when considering feminist studies as a whole.
    Check out these few among many of her works.
    Beyond God The Father
    Gyn/Ecology: Metaethics of Radical Feminism
    Pure Lust: Elemental Feminist Philosophy

14. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Question
    Further out than Dworkin?

15. Collapse Details

Red face
    Women can read and write now? Before you know it, they'll be allowed to vote!

16. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Perhaps I missed it, but I am absolutley fucking stunned that this author hasn't been mentioned yet: Ayn Rand.
    Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead are certified classics. As far as women writer's go, her work is unparalled in the sheer amount of discussion and contoversey it has elicited....
    Personally, I figured she'd be the first to make the fucking list. Her prominance as a leading philisophical figure of our times, in addition to her writing achievments make her one of the most dynamic and important women in the history of literature...

17. Collapse Details

18. Collapse Details

Star
    id believe it would be because ayn rand has become the cliche and 'go to' whenever someone mentions womens lit.
    not to say it isnt a worthy reputation, but perhaps overdone... or maybe it just goes without saying...

19. Collapse Details

Wink
    I thought my name would be enough mention of Rand.

20. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Heart
    I just don't get Rand, I'm sorry - I mean, maybe its because I'm fundamentally opposed to her politics, but I find her writing style terrible as well. I tried reading Atlas Shrugged, and honestly, I thought it was awful, from a literary point of view. Nothing seemed to happen, characters talked in 10-page monologues, aaaaahhhh! There were some interesting ideas in there (though I disagree with them), but not well written, IMHO.
    While I'm here:
    George Eliot. That is all.

21. Collapse Details

Wink
    I have to agree with Simon's take on Rand, and I'm sure its because I am violently opposed to her politics. However I also have to agree with Brainrape that
    [quote]As far as women writer's go, her work is unparalled in the sheer amount of discussion and contoversey it has elicited....
    Put her on the list, but I can't promise anyone will like her.

22. Collapse Details

I know this isn't a Rand discussion, so I promise to add more female authors at the end, but...
    I disagree with a lot of her politics also. The majority of my respect for her writing is knowing the history behind it. One can hardly blame her extremist issues after getting out from under Soviet control - to disagree with principles so vehemently and be forced to live under them is something no one should be subjected to. I love her books more for the passion behind her convictions - I'm a sucker for anyone who believes in something that powerfully. And IMO they are very well written, although her penchant for her politics does make the speeches drag on and on and on... Fountainhead is a much better example for me, and much easier to read through. Some people never tire of heroes, I guess.
    As far as a female author (I promised!) -
    Anais Nin

23. Collapse Details

Lightbulb
    A wrinkle in time is a damn awesome book! Thumbs up to Madeleine.
    I have to reccomend Sister Souljah who wrote one fiction; The Coldest Winter Ever and one book on her views and her life; No Disrespect. The Coldest Winter Ever is one hell of a good book and I read all 423 pages in one night, it's that good. You can expect some raw words and issues dealing with drugs, community, and young men and women in her books.
    Another great woman author is Shirley MacLaine who wrote books about metaphysics, her life and work in the movie industry etc. Many would classify her books as New age or whatever, but they go way deeper than the surface and her views and questions are good to bring up your own. My favorite book of hers is called The Camino. It's about her travels through Spain on this sacred ley path traveled since ages ago.
    Peace
    [ 23 December 2002: Message edited by: jaymie ]

24. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew
    Thumbs up
    Oh, just read The God of Small Things by Arundhati (sp?) Roy. Absolutely fantastic. Right up there with Rushdie or Garcia Marquez, IMHO.

25. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    what would a woman do without a S.C.U.M. Manifesto????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast