Bluelight

Thread: Drug Studies General Discussion (suggest, & discuss studies here, or chat socially!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Drug Studies General Discussion (suggest, & discuss studies here, or chat socially!) 
    Drug Studies General Discussion

Please use this thread for general discussion that doesn't belong in one of the specific study threads.

Some examples of things that fit in this thread: discussion of studies not posted on Bluelight, discussion of what the results of studies mean and what we can learn from them, suggesting ideas for new studies, or requesting study results that you've been unable to find using traditional methods (i.e. Google).

Helpful sites for finding studies:

Last edited by Jesusgreen; 15-10-2014 at 09:52.

2. Collapse Details
    All-encompassing very detailed report on phenibut 
    Bluelighter
    http://www.hflsolutions.com/pv/ingre...phenibut.shtml

Im sure many read it but with all the talk about phenibut lately many who didn't with without a doubt find the article incredibly informative and well written

3. Collapse Details
    The long term effects of anesthetic ketamine on young children 
    I've seen articles stating it caused damage to developing young and infant test animal brains. Are these studies transferable to human children? Are other drugs on available to doctors safer in the long term? How does number of doses and amount change the long term effects? How does combining ketamine with other drugs such as midazolam and oxycodone change the long term effects? How does the child's age and weight effect this?

Thank you for your help.

4. Collapse Details
    Unsure if this is realistic, but I'd like to test out new legal drugs? 
    Question
    If any researchers out there are in favor of having a 20 something male in overall good health test out some new legal drugs and give them reports on it, I would love to do so. I am new here but if this is something that you'd consider to be realistic then shoot me a message. I am in favor of being mailed said new, legal drugs to my PO Box. Thanks.

PS--I apologize is this is not an appropriate thread, but the idea popped in my head.

5. Collapse Details

Lol. There's no shortage of human guinea pigs, and most of them are prepared to pay for their drugs.

6. Collapse Details

heh, yeah i'll sign up to be a human guinea pig for free drugs too.

to the OP though you do realise that most drugs that are tested in this manner are done in controlled environments where a researcher can observe you throughout the duration of the drugs high or whatever. nobody is just going to send you drugs to test. wouldn't make any sense.

7. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I'm down...depending on the "legal drugs" I'll be ...subjected to test.

8. Collapse Details

Hahahahaha..... Do you think Shulgin had new drugs mailed to him? No he made them in a lab from sources found in nature if needed utilizing an immense amount of knowledge and experience he gained over many years. Can't think of many people "testing" new drugs. Just a bunch of people buying compounds that have yet to be researched and proven safe leading to a lot of people killing themselves due to their own bad choices and greedy people enabling those bad choices. Be smarter about the choices you make in life.

9. Collapse Details

Can you research the LD50 of 25I for me? :P

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sailor bugg View Post
    Can you research the LD50 of 25I for me? :P
    here, here, pick me!!!
    i am able to conduct an unlimited (or so i hope, in any case many) deads and then we just start over again

11. Collapse Details

The chances of an institutional review board approving administration of a psychoactive drug that's never been in medical use nor had its safety established through widespread illicit recreational use are slim to nil. As for trials involving MDMA or psilocybin or whatever, researchers tend not to have trouble recruiting by posting flyers on college campuses. :P

Also, I think you wanna get high and go party or explore or whatever, not sit motionless in an fMRI machine while you're run through various functional tests.

ebola

12. Collapse Details
    Hey :) I'm a researcher with a project on the line, looking to make your aquaintance! 
    Peace
    Hello everyone Its very good to meet you all.

I'm a final year university student, working towards my final research project for my degree. My research so far, and my general experience at university, has taught me a lot about drug using cultures. I've come to Bluelight because I'd love to share some of this knowledge with you guys and maybe tap into some of your expertise for a future research project. In particular, I'm
    interested in the use of so-called "performance enhancing" drugs at work. Why do so many students feel they have to take drugs like Ritalin just to get through work at university? Could it be because there are unrealistic expectations placed on students? How does Ritalin use by students compare with stimulant use in other high pressure work environments (cocaine use by city workers, for instance)?

At some point in the near future, I'll probably post a thread in the 'Drug Studies' section and start looking for participants for a research project about these issues. In the mean time though, it seems like a good idea to go about getting to know you all a bit first. In that respect, I'm interested in a whole bunch of topics to do with the social life of drugs and drug taking - drug policy and policy reform, how we use drugs to form social bonds, the relationship between drugs use and subculture, recovery from addiction, and how we can bring a more compassionate perspective towards drug users (especially young people) into social research. If anyone else out there has similar interests, feel free to hit me up some time for a chat! Also, if there are specific threads or forums on here that are relevant to me - I would really appreciate any recommendations .

Thanks for having me, C

13. Collapse Details

Welcome to Bluelight

Thats a cool subject to study i would love to study that, im currently studying some psychology along with biology and i hope to go to med school to get into the field of medicine i would love to work with addiction its my dream to be able to open up more resourses for addicts in my town since i found it so hard to get help during my addiction to heroin.

In my opinion the best way to help drug addicts is to legalise drugs and instead of throwing people in jail the government could offer to pay for treatment for the addict. This would be cheaper than the strain we currently have on our medical and judicial system steming directly from the fact drugs are illegal, dirty, expensive and drug addicts get pushed into the shadows all because of the war on drugs(which by the way aint going to be won anytime soon).

Sure we would still have problems im not saying this is a perfect solution but in my head i see it being 100× better than the way things are now.

I dont really think every student who uses speed or other performance enhancing drugs are overworked (although im sure many are some courses are extremely stressful in university) but i think its just the society we live in today where we seem to think if the going gets tough no worries theres a pill to fix that fast and easy. I think once they do it one time they realise how easy it is, how much better they can do on it so they begin to need the drug just to do any work or function normally. Younger people are also alot of the time in mental pain and are looking for relief i know i was with my traumatic childhood i just wanted to forget. Seems so many young people with so much potential are simply lost and in pain.

We can talk more in a bit im going to work right now Pm me if you wish or i can private message you later on if you like.
    Last edited by The Doc.; 21-08-2014 at 19:57.

14. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    Welcome to Bluelight!

I believe many people are self-medicating ADHD symptoms.

15. Collapse Details

Trainspotter10102:
    I'm glad you like the idea Its something that's really interested me since I came to uni. One thing that I've noticed is what an overwhelming experience university can be both socially and academically. I've certainly had a really intense time, working 80, 90 hour weeks some times, feeling like I would need superhuman powers just to get through. I noticed how that had a serious impact on my own and my friends mental health. It made me curious whether that kind of environment is in anyway linked with the reasons people take performance enhancers.

I agree, though, that there is probably a huge variety of experience among students. Interestingly, a bunch of recent studies suggest that people who take performance enhancers are actually less likely to get good grades than people who don't, and usually take them in contexts where they're cramming for a final deadline. Some participants report starting assignments as close to 3 days before they're supposed to hand them in! So, maybe it has less to do with being over-worked and more to do with students having trouble and/or resisting adapting to the time discipline required of a university degree. As you say, an increasing acceptability of prescription drug use and medication in general might have something to do with all of this as well!

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties, by the way, and thanks for taking the time to reply. I completely agree with you that radical reform of the criminal justice system and drug regulation has to happen. This would, I imagine, be far better for addicts, as well as people in producer countries, caught in the cross-fire of drug traffickers.

If you want to contact me for further discussion, please feel free to do so. Just PM me whenever
    Last edited by CuriousAboutSpeed; 22-08-2014 at 01:14.

16. Collapse Details

Thanks Captain.Heroin! This is actually a theory that's out there in the research community too (that students' with undiagnosed ADHD might be self-medicating). Unfortunately, there's been far too little research to really be able to tell for sure whether this is a big contributing factor.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of students tend to experience a lot of ADHD like symptoms simply from being stressed and anxious. It can be especially difficult to focus and be calm when your worrying a lot!

All Best, C

17. Collapse Details

Welcome

What are you studying at University?

18. Collapse Details

Hello there,

I'm sorry to get back to you so late I assumed this thread had gone dead after a couple days.

Thanks very much and, if you're still interested, I'm studying sociology and history at uni

All Best, C

19. Collapse Details

before i get started wow look it that ooo man i forgot to what wait ooo yeah so as i was saying i was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age ! imagine that a 5 year old that cant sit still and finds that kids who like reading just dont know how to play. however when i got to middle school i started using stimulants to study ! and study i did i was mainstreamed out of all LD classes and started 9th grade with adderall i graduated with AP classes and a few creds for college where i got a 4 year degree in BS ! stimulants can make you pay attention to anything yes but whats the point of this after all the BS knowledge i gained i am now a massage therapist, with a awesome tolerance to adhd meds and oxy. my main point is wait what is my point IDK who cares oooo yeah thats my point who cares !!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by silas GUY View Post
    before i get started wow look it that ooo man i forgot to what wait ooo yeah so as i was saying i was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age ! imagine that a 5 year old that cant sit still and finds that kids who like reading just dont know how to play. however when i got to middle school i started using stimulants to study ! and study i did i was mainstreamed out of all LD classes and started 9th grade with adderall i graduated with AP classes and a few creds for college where i got a 4 year degree in BS ! stimulants can make you pay attention to anything yes but whats the point of this after all the BS knowledge i gained i am now a massage therapist, with a awesome tolerance to adhd meds and oxy. my main point is wait what is my point IDK who cares oooo yeah thats my point who cares !!!
    Aw, well, I care because I think that studying the use of performance enhancers throws up all kinds of potentially interesting questions about the state of society today. In fact, when it comes to certain questions, your comment pretty much sums it up. Why is it, for instance, that we value academic performance so much in our society?

There is the potential, I think, also, that in some cases the use of performance enhancers might mask very real distress - and it seems important to give a voice to that. On top of that, there has been a lot of debate in the media and among academics surrounding the significance of students using performance enhancing drugs - but without really taking into account students' opinions or experiences! So it seems important to give voice to that as well. I think all around there are very good reasons for asking these kinds of questions.

Btw - for anyone on here who's still interested, I've posted up my recruitment thread now. Anyone interested in participating can find the study here:
    http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...r-participants!

21. Collapse Details

New Member Introductions
    Hi and welcome to Bluelight

22. Collapse Details

Thank you very much!

23. Collapse Details

Welcome CAS. I'm curious, what exactly is your field of study? Medecine? Psychology? Or something else?

24. Collapse Details

I do history and sociology as part of a double honours programme - which here in the UK means that the credits I've earned are equally split between the two subjects. This project is being carried out within the sociology part of my degree - so I'll be primarily interested in the social dimensions of performance enhancement.

25. Collapse Details

Makes a lotta sense

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast