Bluelight

Thread: GOOD trance...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    I use music to motivate me for work as well. I work in a very busy restaraunt, where good moods can turn bad in a matter of minutes. My commute is 15 minutes tops, but I am very anal about pumping something in my car in an effort to having it flowing thru my veins while I am at work. It is my rhythm, and it makes me feel so good, and so ON Point. If people hit me on my cell while I am en route to work, I refuse to answer because I am "entranced" and I don't want to break away.
    Yes, just some more babble from me. There are not many people I can express this to in words, so I may as well let it all out here, ya dig?
    Plus I've got lots of papers I should be writing, so as you can see I'm procrastinating terribly.

2. Collapse Details

Weed
    goa psy/trance
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh heaven

3. Collapse Details

Talking
    Yeah, I work in a CD store, and we are allowed to put in whatever we want to... I like to make mixes at home and play them in the store...
    The best feeling in the world:
    Customer: What is this?? Who is this playing?
    Spaz: This is an electronic music compilation.. It's a style called trance. I mixed it myself..
    Customer: Oh you mean on a computer?
    Spaz: No on a set of turntables.. You play two songs at the same speed at the same time and mix them together using a peice of equipment known as a "mixer".. The mixer let's you have total control over the frequency and volume of several audio sources..
    Customer: Oh, OK... Do you sell this here?
    Spaz: No, I'm sorry we don't, but we do have a section where similar music is sold.. Come right this way please..
    Customer: Thank you.
    Spaz: You're welcome..
    (Spaz does a little victory dance as he turns another person on to the wonderful music we call trance..)
    That always makes my day.. Yesterday I was playing Sasha: GU013 Ibiza in the store, and we don't have it.. Some 40 something year old woman came in and asked if we had the CD that was in.. I told her we could order it, but we did have a section where she could purchase other CD's like it.. She left the store with John Digweed's GU Los Angeles CD and Sasha and Digweed Northern Exposure East Coast CD..
    Needless to say, after that, I had an exceptionally good day.. Then I took my lunch break and had a bowl of easy mac and a can of Mountain Dew. Ahhhhh... Life is goood

4. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    I love this thread
    I identify with virtomatic sooo much. I'm slowly trying to educate my friends but it is a frustrating process. They just don't "feel it" like I do.
    I only wish I had friends who had the same passion for music as we do. This is the only place where I can come to get opinions, recomendations, and feedback on the music I love.
    I started visiting Bluelight in the first place just for this forum. I would visit Music & DJs all the time.(now I'm hooked on bluelight) You guys are the reason my appreciation for music has grown. Whenever I get frustrated because it seems nobody else is feelin' me or my passion for music I can come here and feel right at home.
    I can't wait until the day when I have the money to buy some tables and vinyl. I have never tried to spin but I know in my heart that it is something that I will be great at but more importantly something that I will LOVE to do.
    thank you guys

5. Collapse Details

Star
    amazing thread...
    I keep coming back and reading more and more insightful/expressive posts...
    great stuff...
    Nephill....spill it
    X....great job...I know the wonderful feeling I get when someone else starts to take heart to some good electronic music...I just hope it does as much for them as it does for me...hehe
    Mexican...makes me feel 'at home' as well...glad ur here.
    You can imagine the great joy that came over me after my parents started listening to electronic music (little over a year ago)....as of today they have about 7 different GU compilations, and many other electronic CDs....it's great. Especially since they used to get on my case about 'dance' music when I was about 12 years old all the way until I left the house. hehe....then I start going to raves when I turn 19, they hear some music, they hear me spin at a party...they get into the music...awesome stuff.
    [ 29 March 2002: Message edited by: DJSethNichols ]

6. Collapse Details

yo my little sister Julie is into it now, just because her big bro is a (bedroom and house party, as of now) DJ.. I just wish my girlfriend was into it. She's always like: "Would you give up this stupid raving/DJ shit for me? Would you give up your turntables for me?" I'm sorry, I wouldn't give this shit up for anyone...
    I wish she'd understand..
    She just listens to fucking 80's and Jungle.. That's it.. Oh yeah, and one Carl Cox CD... over and over and over...
    I wanted her to come see Dave Ralph with me and she was like, I don't want to listen to any of that shitty Trance music..
    I just wish she could get it.. I wish she understood the message..
    Oh well.

7. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    Originally posted by DJSethNichols:
    You can imagine the great joy that came over me after my parents started listening to electronic music (little over a year ago)....as of today they have about 7 different GU compilations, and many other electronic CDs....it's great. Especially since they used to get on my case about 'dance' music when I was about 12 years old all the way until I left the house. hehe....then I start going to raves when I turn 19, they hear some music, they hear me spin at a party...they get into the music...awesome stuff.
    wow, that's so cool. my parents dont listen to electronic music, but my brother does. he's two years younger than me and we never had anything much in common, kept outta each other's way till he got into electronic music and started asking me questions about it. and we just started talking and i'd get him to go out with me. we're still not very close but music has become a common denominator with us
    Last edited by PsychoKitten; 04-01-2004 at 10:09.

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    music is my savior. i've always been obsessed with music since i was a little kid. anything from classical to rock. when i discovered trance and electronic music in general i immediatley new that i had found "it". i finally new exactly what i loved and wanted to hear forever. all my close friends now are music junkies. its kinda silly but we're so obsessed its hard to chill with people who don't share my passion. im all for diversity as far as musical taste, but people who listen to whatever is on the radio freak me out! you can't deny beautiful music...it just gets me there!

9. Collapse Details

I love this thread! This should be archived.
    Ahhh... GU #13 - what an album. This is the CD that changed my life. I was listening to it once and then just one day it clicked - this is FANTASTIC! Now I got my friend hooked on progressive. This CD changes people!

10. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Smile
    I've been listening to all kinds of phat beats from as long as I can remember....the music makes me feel good and thats the reason I listen to it.
    I can't convince others to like it but its cool when someone else appreciates the music.
    You guys are da shit! Peace!

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    This is the first music post in a while that has really got me excited that im about to express my opinion and have it read by other people.
    It is a beautiful thread and i want to thank hydra for creating it and everyone else for controbuting to it, for expressing the way they feel. Hey X it sounds like you do a great job
    I only hope i can be as lucid - though i never have been in the past.
    I remember when i lived in Italy, in Rome i found out about trance music - not popular there. None of my friends knew anything about it and i didnt know where to get it. But by using satellite tv i could tune into radio1 in the uk. Often I would stay up so that I could hear the essential mix at 2 am. I made tapes and recorded what i heard, i played it to my friends - i was listening to this music and feeling "i HAVE to spread this" - it was not a choise for me.
    I got decks and a mixer.
    2 and a half years later im no longer into trance, im into techno and drum and bass. But not as much - i dont listen to the songs i play and say "I need to make people here this". I still listen to electronic music for at least half the day, and time i can - but im no longer as excited as was. Basically, i live this music now, it is with me all the time, but a lot of the time its like ive been exposed to such an amount of it that ive become immune to it.
    Im into techno because of carl cox. But it became more seeing Dave Clarke in Prague, i was there and it was the first time i had seen anyone like him, and the way he dj'd just blew mind, i started thinking people need to here this dj / or someone close. Thats been bad for me, i have been aspiring to become dave clarke rather than myself.
    2/3 or days ago i started listening to papua nea guinea for the first time, and it was the first time in a while i felt other people "Had to hear this song". But its opened me up, i really can feel this way still, i feel a huge need to show other people this incredible music.
    But i listen to so much different music (really, this is true) and i feel this way so rarely. It doesnt mean i should give up it means i should look and listen harder.
    And only when I feel the way i have described above about every single song i play will i be a good dj.
    I am sorry for such a long post but i do feel that all the background information needed to be in there as some people might start going on the same route ive gone and this might help.
    This post in conjunction with a couple of mind blowing songs is reinspiring me.
    THANK YOU very very much if youve read this post

12. Collapse Details

^^^ Papua New Guinea was my first electronic song I've heard in my whole life. My friend played it to me and I fell in love with it! At the time I didn't know what it was called. I was searching for that song for almost three years and then, on one beautiful day, I found out what it's called and it bought back those wonderful fellings I got the first time I've heard it.
    P.S. Check out the Hybrid remix of that song - it will blow you away!

13. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Record
    Hey I just now read these posts, and I have to agree totally. The first guy said it all. If I can just listen to some trance on my way to work or where ever...it puts me in a good mood. And the deep and well thought out stuff is the best. Digweed is my favorite, Sasha kicks ass too. I like all trance my favorite is The tribal sounding sets, Like Digweed Sydney, Nick Warren Amsterdam, Deep Dish, there's so many...but those styles are so well made no matter where I am even if i'm in a room of people, i'll zone out of the conversation and into the music. I love long trance sets I could dance for 6,8 however many hours straight if its bomb ass trance. And if you get the right groove you can just f*ck sh*t up dancing to it!.....but um yeah.................LONG LIVE TRANCE!!!!!!!!

14. Collapse Details

Bump
    ...Aahemmm.....

15. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    X - Respect.
    Speaking of really good music, check out this older track that I just recently discovered.
    Jam & Spoon - Stella (Nalin & Kane Mix)
    Good thread Hydra.

16. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Hey yea! This post is great, while I have trouble expressing my feelings for trance in words, I must say it is nice that so many other people share the same emotions..including me. My only frustration is attempting to introduce others to the music and have them feel the way I do..it's really hard to express how it makes me feel....they just end up thinking it must be the "drugs" yet I listened to electronic music long b4 I was introduced to drugs.

17. Collapse Details

Talking
    glad to see so many of you have such passions about music
    its a shame in our culture today, that music without lyrics is shunned so much...
    as much as i dig my trance tracks with those hot female vocals, its truley the music itself that needs to be listened to/appreciated...
    I'd be so happy to see more threads on music appreciation, philosophies on music, and general thoughts on how much music has influenced your lives, its such a good/positive topic to discuss, and it makes me smile reading EVERY reply!!
    if i could have you all in a room with my turntables, and you all had your record bags, i don't think we'd ever leave!!!
    ~hydra

18. Collapse Details

19. Collapse Details

Brock, ya know.. Music really is an anti drug... While I spin, I can't be on anything, or else I'll get so distracted that I would probably just keep fucking up and get all frustrated.. I mean, I love rolling, but I can't do it while I spin.. I find that I do less drugs at raves now so I can watch the DJ and see him/her work it.. You can learn a lot from watching.. I'm not saying I'll never smoke pot again, or roll, but music really is my drug of choice..
    peace

20. Collapse Details

Arrow
    Hydra: You may be onto something...hehe
    X: Agreed...music is my drug of choice. The only other thing I do on any kind of basis in my life would be weed....but I find that many times weed isn't complete without music to go along with the high. It completes it and makes it flow much smoother...it's like it has control.
    Electronic music has so much power to persuade and influence a persons emotions. I believe the producers of today have only begun to scrape the tip of the iceberg as far as this idea goes.
    It's a matter of music (which is spirituality to me) and science emerging....understanding what certain frequencies and sequences/patterns of those frequencies do to a persons feelings and emotions. It'll happen....and one day music will be our saviour...
    well atleast thats my idea on that....hehe

21. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    Customer: What is this?? Who is this playing?
    Spaz: This is an electronic music compilation.. It's a style called trance. I mixed it myself..
    Customer: Oh you mean on a computer?
    Spaz: No on a set of turntables.. You play two songs at the same speed at the same time and mix them together using a peice of equipment known as a "mixer".. The mixer let's you have total control over the frequency and volume of several audio sources..
    Customer: Oh, OK... Do you sell this here?
    Spaz: No, I'm sorry we don't, but we do have a section where similar music is sold.. Come right this way please..
    Customer: Thank you.
    Spaz: You're welcome..
    (Spaz does a little victory dance as he turns another person on to the wonderful music we call trance.) [quote]
    This is where I would have givin the customer more info on where they could find your demo/cd.You should have givin her your email and booking info and what not....but regardless,GOOD JOB MAIN~
    As for me and good trance goes,its almost un-describeable.I found my first love in electronic music in the funky breaks genre,then started getting into epic/prog trance in its glory days.I loved how a good rum roll would take you higher on the dj's voyage,but soon grew tiresome due to the "cookie-cutter" music producers were trying to immatate.I still love my vocals and trancey elements in progressive house and progressive breaks,now im trying to rmx any good vocal track with a nice melodic break beat(i.e. Rapture Deep Dish rmx works hella good).Well like everyone else has been saying and agreeing to-GOOD THREAD HYDRA.Well I hope I made some kind of sense.
    Peas&freshBeets,
    dj-T.MINUS

22. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    amazing thread, and amazing insight... viva la musica!
    music has, is, and will always be my life; i sleep, wake, travel, work, eat, bathe, fuck, smoke and live to music. if i could record my life as one constant soundtrack i'd be happiness personified.
    there is no joy in my world like creating music. be it a violin sonata which draws a tear, just one tear from one person in the audience, or an excellent mix that makes one hundred people's night... i don't think there are words which can capture the feeling; that's why we have notes
    to express what you wish musically, and to do it simply, is our greatest struggle - ludwig van beethoven
    no matter what day i've had, what friends i've made or lost, what money i've spent or earnt, what i've eaten or why i've starved, there is only one thing which draws me back and lifts me up above; music.
    trance for me represents an ideal; a triumph of beauty over passive imitation, a celebration of life's delights and heartaches, a chance to truly feel what makes us human... trance lifts me, melds me, shapes me as a person. it always will.
    how many times have you dropped the needle on a record in the shop, and felt those shivers up your spine... it's incredible how such an assortment of electronically produced frequencies can mean so much, but i swear sometimes my very heartstrings have been wrenched forth, and used to play me as a puppet...
    when there is no escape, when society threatens to constrict and conform, i turn to hard, driving trance. when the sun is low, and a spliff is lit, i turn to soft, uplifting trance. when times are dark, and there seems no respite, i turn to aching, beautiful trance. when i'm getting changed and going out, i turn to boshing slamming trance. in short, i turn to trance... until it turns me round.
    thank you, to everyone involved with the music.
    beauty is abundant - here's some below:
    yahel - devotion, sound & melody
    domestix & asterix - pure energy
    v-one - dead cities
    antarctica - adrift, illusion, lazarev
    altitude - excession
    dj kim - jetlag
    MORPH - maximum overdrive
    push - the legacy, strangeworld

23. Collapse Details

do u listen to music on the move? i do, with headphones and a discman when im travelling or walking to a destination. when i reach school, i have to take them off cos it feels too conspicious, like people are looking at me cos i've got some bigass headphones on.
    but these people who look, dont realise what's going on between my ears, in my head.
    i can see the world with my eyes and at the same time, it doesnt intrude upon me because i have my music playing. i look at people going about their business, walking from point to point, getting on with their lives, people looking at me, and they dont realise they are actors in my private music video, my life
    music, progressive house, is the soundtrack for my life, i depend on it to lift me up when im down and ironically, it gets me down too but so does life. there has been times last year when music didnt get to me like i thought it should, when i played back my old favourites and i didnt respond to it. That really got me depressed more than any other problem that was bothering me at the time.
    [quote]i believe music is as close as we get to the language we lost after the tower of babel. its the unspoken language of culture which appeals to some primal aspects of our psyche. it strikes a primeval chord within us which has the potential to reverberate through our our physical and emotional beings. as long as there is a beat, a melody, i find my body identifying with it, conciously or unconciously, a part of my body responds, be it my feet, my hands or my hearbeat. music is such an intrisic part of my life, it feels like a communion when i listen to it.
    listening to music is akin to reading good prose; it's all alphabets and words... but it is the way they are put together cohesively, lycrically, poetically, that make books or music a joy to read or listen to. i find myself going back and listening to music i have not heard in a while and re-appreciating it, in light of my own personal growth and relating to my life right now. there is no "old" music, there is always a new way of listening to it... music in its paradoxical complexity is so layered, one can always sift through the layers and discover something new. its the little sounds that fire your synapses(and makes me wonder why i never noticed it b4), that every individual appreciates in their own manner.

24. Collapse Details

I love this thread!! It overjoys me to see everyone reply with something positive.. It means so much.. I love music more than anything! It's good to see so many people here do as well.. Mad respect to Hydra for starting the best post I think I've ever read..
    peace

25. Collapse Details

**BOOM** This post hit it right on the bulls-eye. Seriously, BlueLight is the only place where my musical tastes and philosiphies (sp) can be met. I started liking elecktronic music about 6 years ago, but didn't really get into the good music until about 3 years ago.
    I've always loved beats. When a hip hop songs comes on the radio, I've always focused on the beat rather than the lyrics. Beatboxing is a skill that I've aquired and the best way to manipulate my talent, I believe, is to produce. Elecktronic music = Beats = Me, BOOM!!, I've fallin in love.
    Alot of my friends (as many others) don't really share the tastes of music I like, but ever since I purchased turntables, they can't get enough of it. In order to love the music, you have to experience or emotionally break down a barrier that eventually embraces you into a whole other level of music.
    Many people see elecktronic music as simple beats and samples looped to make a repetitive song, therefore many get a false idea of what is really going on. You have to physically see the music mixed in order to get full appreciation. Damn I love this shit!!
    X: I totally feel you when you explain the joy of presenting electronic music to those that don't know. It's like a warm agressive excitement that you get knowing that someone may feel the same way as you about this wonderful music. It's uncontrollable, and sometimes my peep get pissed when I bumbard them with all types of great tracks and crazy beats.
    Hydra: great post, it's about time someone started a dope post like this. ~peace
    [ 02 April 2002: Message edited by: PartEkidRepsAcosta ]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast