Bluelight

Thread: Sunday May 25th Countdown 2003!!! Bronx NY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Weed
    I've been talked into going to this so a for all those going.

2. Collapse Details

Star
    I'll be there too...cuz it's my friend's b-day party

3. Collapse Details

hope it didnt suck too bad

4. Collapse Details

i wasn't planning on going, then i was considering going just to go to a party. but when i heard this...
    Originally posted by Dazzle
    Freaky Flow will not be performing at the party.
    ... i decided that i definitely was not going.

i hope everyone who did go had a fun, safe night.

5. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    in all honesty, yes the key is dirty, shady, in a shitty area, the security is crap, (they made me throw out a mirror and wanted me to get rid of a perfume bottle, i mean come on), the sound isnt all that good, and dust fills the air... but it was still a fun night. i really think everyone was having a good time, maybe im just making it up, but to me, it seemed like a pretty good vibe. i was disappointed with the music, but saw a helluva lot of awesome dancing and smiles... so for all the sympty/key haters, dont worry - we didnt miss u.

6. Collapse Details

the key is dirty, shady, in a shitty area, the security is crap, (they made me throw out a mirror and wanted me to get rid of a perfume bottle, i mean come on), the sound isnt all that good, and dust fills the air... but it was still a fun night.
    WOW you must of had some really fucking good drugs!!!! hehe

7. Collapse Details

^^^lmao

8. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    I've talked maaaaad shit about the Key before, but I had an amazing time. I didn't find the Key to be grimey at all. There was always room to dance, the vibe was great, the air quality was fine (as far as I'm concerned), the music got better towards the second half and I danced my muthafuckin ass off like never before. All the sets were slightly above mediocre, but enough energy to keep me going. I missed Frankie Bones' DnB set, but his set in the main room opened up beautifully.

As usual, going from the main rooms to the outside area was a little time consuming, but no real problems.

As far as security, the only ones I saw were at the door and didn't do a very good job at searching me. In fact, I didn't feel very safe as no one was monitoring the metal detector and it didn't look like it was working in the first place.

I did happen to hear about the kid who got bumrushed for smoking a dip. My friend witnessed the kid being piledrived in the face and then down on the floor where his blood was smeared all over. And the partykids just walked through it--yum. I didn't even see security the rest of the night.

Long story short: Went with good people, made a pact to enjoy ourselves regardless of what we might enter, got in with no wait, slowly warmed up, smoked a blunt (for a worry free evening of course), danced our asses off, and had the ill after-party at Brooklyn's house--awwwww, shit!

9. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    WOW you must of had some really fucking good drugs!!!! hehe
    why are people always ASSuming?

actually i have a drug test coming up so i didnt do any. so

10. Collapse Details

The Key really isn't that bad. People really need to lighten up and stop complaining about the venues in NY. The fact is, that there aren't that many large capacity venues around that are willing to host parties. We have to make due with what we have. The Key does attract some shady people because of the area it's in, but this is NYC, what the fuck do you want? It could be alot worse... And I've noticed that alot of the people that complain about shit like that are shletered, middle class Island/Jersey kids that start shaking at the first sight of an dirty abandoned building, and a couple of hookers or dealers on a corner. I'm sick of hearing these kids bitch. Keep you mouths shut, go somewhere else, or stay home. You know who you are.

11. Collapse Details

^^^
    talk about assuming
    people are allowed to state their opinions, both positive and negative. those choosing to go to the party have the right to hear what others think about the venue, promoters, security etc. then they can make a decision based on what they hear and what they want to do.

as for aFaS... its easy to think that drugs changed the situation when you had a good time but you state that "yes the key is dirty, shady, in a shitty area, the security is crap....the sound isnt all that good, and dust fills the air......i was disappointed with the music" if you managed to get past all that and were sober, good for you

ill still stand by the fact that i dont care for the lineups there and i definitely dont care for the venue. also the few times i was there i didnt care for the crowd either. you dont have to agree with me, just as i dont have to agree with you. its just a case of different aesthetics.

in any case, if you have a large group of friends going, it will almost always be a good time

12. Collapse Details

And I've noticed that alot of the people that complain about shit like that are shletered, middle class Island/Jersey kids that start shaking at the first sight of an dirty abandoned building, and a couple of hookers or dealers on a corner. I'm sick of hearing these kids bitch. Keep you mouths shut, go somewhere else, or stay home. You know who you are.
    Uhm... Im going to take major offense to this considering that i am very obviously from jersey... my complaints about NYC venues has NOTHING to do with the fact that im from jersey, nor does it have anything to do with being fucking SHELTERED. i grew up on grateful dead tour-- ive beeen going to parties for almost 6 years, and i frequent the UNDERGROUND SIDE of nyc-- on a *regular basis* we will use "dirty abandoned buildings" and i have NO problem with this, actually i EMBRACE it. my complaints have to do with the sort of people that RUN the establishments i am complaining about, the security used in these establishments, and more times than not, the production companies throwing the parties there: the lineup (or lack there of), the ludacris pricetag, and their reputations. so fuck off crimson cloud... you just made an ASS of U and ME.

13. Collapse Details

Calm the fuck down. If my statement didn't apply to you, it shouldn't have offended you. I didn't say *all* Jersey kids, and I didn't direct my comments at anyone in particular, so I can only ASSUME *gasp* that anyone that gets their panties in a bunch over what I said (ie: YOU) is the type of person that I was refering to. If you aren't (so you claim) then I don't see why you would take offense. Oh, that's right, because I refered to some kids from Jersey in a negative way (God strike me down) and that gives ANYONE from New Jersey the right to bounce back and attack me even though I wasn't talking about them. OK, that makes sense. I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was just stating my opinion based on my personal experiences. God damn, for a couple of people that like to preach about how people have the right to voice their opinions, you sure jumped all over me real fast for doing just that.

14. Collapse Details

You are still missing the point... the reason people have a problem with the Key is because the way its been run for the last 3 or 4 years-- it has to do with the sort of people the venue attracts, the sort of crews that throw their parties there, the policies of the venue itself, and the quality of the productions that give the (non-existant) credit to the venue. The key really *is* that bad-- this is not to say that i have never enjoyed myself AT the key--but, its not an establishment that deserves my (or your) money...

15. Collapse Details

Peace
    ^^and that is for the person attending the party to decide.

That doesn't give ANYONE the right to TELL another what to do (not that I'm insinuating you were--as it seems we need to preface all comments with this). This is a discussion board where we share our opinions and use that information to make our own choices.

If you want to discuss production companies and the way they handle themselves dig up the thread for it (I believe I started it). Don't rain on my parade.

I had a great time at this and everyone there seemed to as well. So if you don't like it, don't go. If you don't like the way they handle themselves discuss it in a mature fashion and don't rip people apart for voicing their own opinions. THAT APPLIES TO EVERYBODY.

16. Collapse Details

I unlocked this per the request of a few people.

However, at the first hint of immaturity and things getting out of hand as they were before Erik locked this, it will be relocked.

So keep it cool people, aight? aight.

17. Collapse Details

If you want to discuss production companies and the way they handle themselves dig up the thread for it (I believe I started it). Don't rain on my parade.
    I thought this is a discussion forum. If an event is posted, shouldn't we be allowed to comment on the way production went down... even if it doesn't share your point of view? I shouldn't be asked to dig up an old thread you started to post my thoughts on a completly valid side of a party.

Anyway...

I'm sorry to disagree with you Cass, but Pauly's production was and always has been on at the key skate. Sympty puts a great deal of effort into transforming that shit hole into a decent place to party. He literally makes the best possible use of everything he has. I know Sympty isn't the only crew using the venue, but he uses it most often so I am ASSuming that's who you're refering to. Unfortunately the neighborhood keeps me away... even with that being said I've gone to every Countdown party even if only for a few hours. I have not cared for the crowd the key skate has attracted recently... I do not always feel safe and tend to use the buddy system even to go to the bathroom. The longer the key stays open, the more people I see there that I don't think are there for the music.... and the more I think they should just stop using it.

I think I would have enjoyed my stay more if they had just stuck with 2 rooms. The bleed between the 2 main areas is impossible to avoid, but managable if I stay toward the center. They *need* to turn that small back room with the horrid sound system into a chill out area or something. It is not suitable for hardcore/dnb lineups... and there's no room. THE HERD (tm) situation would be a lot less severe if they didn't book a full line up of DJs back there.

I came early and left early... and I didn't see a lot of people. I don't know how many people showed up toward the end, it looked like a week turnout even though Pauly seemed hopeful. I was really bored. I wasn't feeling the vibe or it wasn't there yet. I said goodbye and didn't stay for Commander Tom or Jevic's set. It was before midnight, and I was going to head out to another party, but the rain got the best of me and I went home.

I always manage to have a good time at Sympty events, and this wouldn't have been an exception, except my heart wasn't in it this time. It sucks I'm in a time of my life were these kind of parties don't do it for me.... but that was my issue and not the parties.

18. Collapse Details

can we count how many times the word assume was used in this thread?

oh and btw the key STILL sucks. thank you and goodnight

19. Collapse Details

Weed
    For the record: this thread wasn't closed because someone "doesn't share [my] point of view."

And when the topic being discussed is no longer pertaining to the event taking place, it will be redirected to the appropriate thread.

Perhaps if you addressed the text you didn't quote, you could find your question answered. That would include, "This is a discussion board where we share our opinions and use that information to make our own choices," and " if you don't like the way they handles themselves discuss it in a mature fashion and don't rip people apart for voicing their own opinions."

If anyone has a problem, go to the source. No one contacted me about reopening this and I always respond before I close a thread so there is no doubt as to who did it; that's for future reference, of course.

20. Collapse Details

Lightbulb
    I don't care what anyone else says......
    Sympty knows how to throw it down!!!

I had a blast at this one, like I do at all Sympty events.
    The day that sympty stops throwing events at the Key will be the same day that I retire from the rave scene.

It's understandable why some people hate the Key, and I think thats mainly because the Jungle lineup always seems to suck.

But then again so is the closet sized room at Amazura but you guys love to dance like sardines in a can of packed oil!

There was one thing that I didn't like about this particular event and that was the new 21+ over setup.
    When I went into that room, most of it was empty which seemed like a waste of space. Also the bathrooms were closed which I think was a ripoff!

But as always the music and sound system were off the hook!
    Hopefully if things go well, "The music made me do it again" will happen in August and I'm definitly excited for that.

By the way did anyone hear about the Secret Afterparty that was thrown by VENOM??

21. Collapse Details

Ninja
    i have been to 3 make this the 4th event Sympty event at the Key. I have never really liked the Key that much, but I have dealt with the bad parts of it, for the music and the crowd.

recently over the past 2 events, I have noticed the atmosphere at the Key, and a few other places turning sour. I too at first thought I was just getting tired, maybe "growing up". then i came to my senses. forget all this old stuff, forget where the event is, it's all relative.

Sympty does do a good job of turning a usual dump into a decent place to have a good time, and with a better venue, they would probably have some of the best parties in the NYC vacinity. however, they don't have that, so if you go to the Key, don't expect much, just bring your friends, drink lots, get phucked up, or just space out to the music.

personally i don't think i will venture to the Key for a while. however everyone who had a good time, don't stop, but remember, many better events are out there. don't believe this is all the scene has to offer you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12