Bluelight

Thread: STUDY CORNER V. Do Your Own Research

1. Collapse Details
    STUDY CORNER V. Do Your Own Research 
    Performance Enhancing Drugs
    Bluelight

In this new sticky, I'm going to compile an archive of the various performance enhancing, bodybuilding or relevant health-related studies we've discussed before on the forum, along with a link to the thread so that people can read any subsequent discussion of the paper(s) and/or add further questions to it.

We all know that broscience and the propagation of ignorant practices are especially notorious issues in the bodybuilding world. Unfortunately few guys (or gals) seem to care enough to really understand what they're doing to their bodies when they use AAS, and this is partly thanks to the erroneous conception of them as relatively benign and of a totally different order of harm to other recreational drugs.

This is false. AAS are potent and their use potentially harmful and dangerous in the wrong hands. While some of the more immediate side-effects of their use are well known (like oestrogen sides, mood issues, acne, libido changes and so on), most bodybuilders seem to have either no knowledge of - or interest in understanding - the long-term risks and potential consequences to their bodies.

We thus have a duty to address that failing with science where we can, and to convince others to abandon more harmful ways.

However, even beyond these basic harm reduction issues, we all need a hand to help sift through the deluge of marketing hype, shilling and jumping on the bandwagon (which I like to think of as the contagious placebo delusion) to determine which performance-enhancing drugs, supplements, routines and practices are actually worthy and which are a waste of time or money.

So if you've read any studies recently (or even decent magazine-style articles written by other authors) that you'd like to share, or that you thought were interesting in any way at all - even if you didn't fully understand them - please feel free to add the name of the paper (and a link to Pubmed or similar if possible) and a one-paragraph description (or the paper's abstract) to the thread below, and I can append them to the archive later.

Better yet, if what you're reading is really interesting (or confusing), why don't you make a new thread on the forum to discuss it, and I can then link to it back here.

Archive of PED-Related Studies

Categories:

Harms

Pharmaceuticals

Supplements

Practices

Interesting Articles

Useful Websites

Last edited by CFC; 20-03-2017 at 17:23.

2. Collapse Details

What a great idea, and probably long overdue for this forum considering its primary function is harm reduction, I'll contribute where I can, and hope Pharmbiak will jump on board also..

3. Collapse Details

Here is a link to a harm reduction steroid testing site.

https://anaboliclab.com/

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by emptynest View Post
    Here is a link to a harm reduction steroid testing site.

https://anaboliclab.com/
    Thanks for the link. How much do you trust that site? I've had a cursory glance through some of their analyses, and not a single one was significantly underdosed, contaminated, or containing a product other than that stated on the label.

This stands in very stark contrast to the findings of the government run WEDINOS project in Wales, UK, where the majority of AAS sent in by bodybuilders were found to be incorrectly labelled or outright fraud.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CFC View Post
    Thanks for the link. How much do you trust that site? I've had a cursory glance through some of their analyses, and not a single one was significantly underdosed, contaminated, or containing a product other than that stated on the label.

This stands in very stark contrast to the findings of the government run WEDINOS project in Wales, UK, where the majority of AAS sent in by bodybuilders were found to be incorrectly labelled or outright fraud.
    I've looked a little deeper and there have definitely been some products that came up at wrong dosage or even bunk. The project is crowd funded and put together by Millard Baker, owner of thinksteroids.com
    I think it's legit, from what I can tell.

6. Collapse Details

I've looked a little deeper and there have definitely been some products that came up at wrong dosage or even bunk. The project is crowd funded and put together by Millard Baker, owner of thinksteroids.com
    I think it's legit, from what I can tell.
    Thanks mate. I'm always a little dubious of steroid testing from bodybuilding boards, given the potential rewards for any company whose gear comes out with a nice label of approval. I had products from a few of those brands tested in a German lab (and some others not yet analysed) some years back and every single one of them contained contaminants or were not as stated.

I'll put the link up with an advisory for now.

7. Collapse Details

fair enough, you really never know what is going on behind the scenes. Thinksteroids is not a source board and as a whole have always been very critical of sources. If there was ever a forum that was trustworthy in this regard it would be meso.

8. Collapse Details

not sure if youve seen this, but I find it a handy tool for laying out a cycle and timing for PCT.
    http://www.steroidcalc.com/

9. Collapse Details

not sure if youve seen this, but I find it a handy tool for laying out a cycle and timing for PCT.
    http://www.steroidcalc.com/
    Hey thanks good find. We used to have steroidplot but that site went down a while back.

10. Collapse Details

another testing facility coming to the UK? http://chemclarity.com/

11. Collapse Details

another testing facility coming to the UK? http://chemclarity.com/
    That looks very promising indeed mate! Great find, hopefully everything turns out to be legit when it's fully up and running.

12. Collapse Details

Thanks again. Extremely pertinent information here for many.