Bluelight

Thread: Best Treatment For Anemia?

1. Collapse Details
    Best Treatment For Anemia? 
    Capsule
    Does anyone who has anemia have any successful recommendations for treatment which has worked for them? I found it difficult to choose the correct supplements and dosages which would generally treat the disorder optimally. Thanks.

2. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I personally used prescription iron capsules from my doctor and it made me feel 100% better, and I don't even need them anymore.

3. Collapse Details

Did you get blood work? My sister had blood work then got prescription iron then retest until optimal

4. Collapse Details

It would be useful to investigate the cause... i.e macrocytic or microcytic. Requesting tests for ferritin, folate and vitamin B12 would be helpful to guide the most effective treatment. Supplements and increasing your intake of dietary iron should help in the mean time!

5. Collapse Details

I've never heard of prescription iron capsules. What is the difference between prescription and regular OTC iron supplements?

6. Collapse Details

Other Drugs
    The best treatment is going to depend on the type of anemia you have.

7. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Homeless & Anonymous
    I've been anemic on and off for years. My doctor suggested using B-12 supplements and I like the mouth dissolving type. If you haven't done so already, have your doctor check your levels and see what would be best for you.

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by d1nach View Post
    Did you get blood work?My sister had bI lood work then got prescription iron then retest until optimal
    I've had bloodwork but not related to the anemia. After taking iron with my food everyday for a while I began to feel better and slowly stopped taking it, I've had no symptoms since, and like I said I've had blood work for various things since then and I'd expect they'd have noticed and said something if I had abnormally low iron count. I believe I would feel like shit too..

I think my anemia was brought on by malnutrition and fixed by eating right etc

9. Collapse Details

Electronic Music Discussion
    MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Calderone View Post
    My doctor suggested using B-12 supplements and I like the mouth dissolving type. If you haven't done so already, have your doctor check your levels and see what would be best for you.

I quite like the taste of vitamin B12 tablets. Unsure if it's the B12 itself but I always notice a kind of strange earthy taste.

OP - Why do you have anemia if you don't mind my asking? Do you know? I know little about it but I'd just imagine its mainly a case of fixing any health problems which cause it and eating right, preferably focussing on iron rich foods, along with supplementing a multivitamin and iron.

My mother had it when she had cancer; she recovered from both pretty rapidly. She didn't even really put much effort into fixing it (not recommended, of course).
    Last edited by Tranced; 20-03-2017 at 20:28.

10. Collapse Details

I'm not exactly sure what type it is, but I seem to have all the symptoms for it. Like lethargy, sometimes pale skin, etc. I seem to be eating and sleeping well, and I doubt it is something else. My mother had anemia, so I think it's relative. I can't afford a doctor or any blood work, so I am essentially my own doctor.

My plan is to take the below supplements for it, and see if anything gets better after a while.

• 130 mg Iron per day
    • 1000 mcg - 10 mg B12 per day
    • 1-5 mg folic acid per day

11. Collapse Details

Woah i though you need like 6 mg per day.id be careful correlation does not equal causations food has hundreds of chemicals that could of contribited.

12. Collapse Details

IIRC the type labeled " Slow Fe" was supposed to be the best absorbed with less chance of side effects. Not that it's like the Niacin "Flush" or anything but Iron has killed a good number of kids from overdose.