Bluelight

Thread: >>SUSPENDED<< Prune v2018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details

I hope you don't delete informative and interesting threads such as "Is it safe to roll whilst wearing a hat?"

2. Collapse Details

I love you guys.

3. Collapse Details

can you please expound on the "all threads prior to 2018"... will this mean *any* thread that has been responded to *this* year will be spared? or just considered for sparing?

4. Collapse Details

Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    We are not planning to review any thread that has been replied to in 2018.

5. Collapse Details

Performance Enhancing Drugs
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Can we slow some of these prunings down please?

For instance, there are literally hundreds of threads in DC up for the chop that have tens of thousands of views and dozens of pages of posts. In other words lots of useful info for anyone searching the forums.

Now it takes me about an hour or so to do a page of 40 threads, and there are 38 pages of 40 threads per page to do in DC alone - in just 2 days.

There's also the issue of post timing. I can't bump a thread for saving quickly because only smods and upwards can post more than once every 45 seconds. It's a surprisingly frustrating limit.

So there are some logistical challenges that can't easily be overcome, even for the dedicated.

It would make sense if senior staff could order threads up for deletion by views, and then save all the top threads by default. And then order by replies, and save those top ones by default.

That would save hours of unnecessary work, since those kinds of threads are very likely the type we are trying to save.

6. Collapse Details

Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    Folks, we have a dozen forums currently reviewing threads for the prune. That's way more than we'd normally ever run at once (as evidenced by the flooding number of REPORTed threads, and the way mods are pulling their hair out - some on fire, some not. Bottom line, running a prune is stressful - ours is a bit overwhelming in that we have 7yr of crap to clean up, but it's made worse by having fewer members to help with the exercise.

It wasn't my intent to disrupt the site, but part of my direction upon returning was to get us upgraded. Historically, any upgrade would drive us to prune to minimize the db and limit the errors. We have been looking hard at the upgrade path, and gotten some helpful feedback from experienced members on this subject, and by all signs we'll be looking to move to Xenforo by the end of the year (hopefully, and with standard BL time not in effect ). It is also known that Xenforo can absorb sites bigger than ours. I started this before I knew it wouldn't be necessary from a technical perspective. But we continued it from the point of view that we DO have a lot of crap (closed, UA'd deleted, and useless low reply threads) that could be gotten rid of, and for the likes of PD it was a chance to refresh the indexes and make good stuff more findable.

Please don't protest too loudly, but we're going to suspend the prune following this current round. We'll leave the current PENDING out for another week or so (forum mod discretion) before sweeping them away. We will then shift our focus to getting the site migrated to Xenforo ASAP. Once we settle into the new digs, we intend to explore means of to better keep a clean house, but for now, the pressure is being taken off.

I was warned to try and keep this short and direct. I am incapable.

7. Collapse Details

This is great news. Bluelight is a wealth of information about both soft and hard drugs. Thanks TLB.

8. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Glad to see the hard work going into this guys, keep it up! We all appreciate it very much

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123