Bluelight

Thread: Manchester

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    wait a second, your objection to manchester is its flat? well come to norwich check out the lanes and castle, fucking beautiful i tell ya, but flat as fuck. as is grenoble- la capitale des alpes- you ever got to look at the mountain that broke you out the window of the hospital they're treating you in? well grenoble is the flattest city in europe.

i think you need to go to bristol. another city i'd choose any day over birmingham. steepest city in europe.

anyway i should stop being so prejudiced my rehab is near brum. maybe i should pray for nukes.

------

on all other scales apart from flatness/steepness, manchester is the greatest city on earth.

2. Collapse Details

Steve... With two eeees... You're a mod. Sort it out. Mark e Smith was right.

3. Collapse Details

Manchester is a city with a very, very, very sick soul, ask Mark e Smith and morrissey... All cities are sick you gotta use em to yer advantage.

4. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    just cos he's a mod doesn't mean he can come and lie about birmingham being better than manchester.

i mean i could be arguing this without even having been to birmingham cos i've had to drive past it on the way to that polluted hellhole, no not cairo or tehran, they got redeeming features, i mean london. but the fact is i'm basing this on having spent an entire weekend in birmingham.

5. Collapse Details

4.60 I can get all over the west Midlands conurbation for the day. Why would I want to go to a flat fucking place like Norwich where they made sale of the century. Chin up, you were nt A bag head and crack head when I first met you...

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    no i was not, lets say i've made some bad choices

7. Collapse Details

Manchester... So much to answer for

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    i was living in Leeds when i got into hard drugs. and we all know that west yorkshire is a crime ridden shithole essentially mae out of drugs.

i had the best and most drug free year of my life ini manchester and got a stupidly hard masters to show for it, and i'm still good friends with my best friends from then.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpapaver View Post
    Mark e Smith was right.
    of course he was.
    about what, i'm not sure, but i'm sure there was wisdom in his wonderful gibberish.
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹

10. Collapse Details

European & African Drug Discussion
    North & South America Drug Discussion
    MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs
    the piss artist formerly known as stevesircull (thats not a location - its a fact)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpapaver View Post
    Steve... With two eeees... You're a mod. Sort it out. Mark e Smith was right.
    Cannot qualify any of his comments I only listen to plastic music and am not a student of The Fall or any other classic rock figures

Quote Originally Posted by chinup View Post
    just cos he's a mod doesn't mean he can come and lie about birmingham being better than manchester.
    I can but would not - I cannot compare the 2 - while I will always respect and give thanks for what Manchester has achieved on the world stage, I am unfamiliar with the city, only having visited for the purposes of football (Everton away @ Man C or U), dance music (Bowlers, Sankey's Soap and The Warehouse Project) and the Airport, which is actually as easy for me to get to now as Birmingham if I drive up for a dawn flight when the roads are clear.

But while I have alot of civic pride in my home (for all the slagging off it gets, there are worse places with worse people than Wolverhampton) I have always had Birmingham in my heart in terms of major UK cities, as a child it's modernity always blew my mind as continuously progressive, whether it be the opening of the new Airport and Maglev in 1984, the spectacular development of it's 3 football stadiums (Villa Park is just epic now) through to the redevelopment of the centre (from Brindley Place to the new Bullring). Yet once again it comes down to the music and as the city has been home to some of the best nights I have been to in Europe, including my favourite weekly club, bringing its techno from 'the ashes of industry' concept from Detroit to the industrial spaces of Digbeth and for a few years there - the NEC Arena (finally making UK club culture a national exhibition back in 2001).

Personal bias, but if I had grown up in Oldham I would probably feel as passionate about Manchester as a big civic brother.
    birminghamtechnounionymppfftheothersigjusthadtogoI tdiditjobregardlessofitsunfortunateexistencethiret eenthirtyeightonthenineteenthofapriltwothousandand eighteen

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    see, its home, home is where the heart is. or aches.

another pro manchester point though- if you travel to some of the places i've been and say you're from Birmingham, you're gonna have to say 'near Manchester' or 'near London' - you really gonna say London? really? i don't even like football but i love that everywhere i've been, i hear enthusiasm for my city.

12. Collapse Details

i don't know if i'd call the fall 'classic rock', but i do believe mr smith created a lot of very high grade gibberish - some of the finest around IMO
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹

13. Collapse Details

European & African Drug Discussion
    North & South America Drug Discussion
    MDMA & Empathogenic Drugs
    the piss artist formerly known as stevesircull (thats not a location - its a fact)
    Quote Originally Posted by spacejunk View Post
    i don't know if i'd call the fall 'classic rock', but i do believe mr smith created a lot of very high grade gibberish - some of the finest around IMO
    Exactly. Shows what I know. Anything with instruments and lyrics is out of my league.
    birminghamtechnounionymppfftheothersigjusthadtogoI tdiditjobregardlessofitsunfortunateexistencethiret eenthirtyeightonthenineteenthofapriltwothousandand eighteen

14. Collapse Details

Stay away from city centres, they're shit, something like that was what Mark e Smith said. Life is better in the fringes, that's where the ordinary folks are and the decent drink for a decent price. More stability out of the city centres. City centres are very much the same kind of thing all over the place these days. Not much room for sentiment in the centres, especially brum. There's some great buildings, from the art deco stuff to the brutal stuff. Eh, what's the poshest part of Manchester that's closest to the city centre? How many miles is like the leafiest bit of Manchester with big houses and that from the centre of the city. I'm not talking fancy high rise apartment stuff, like established money area.

15. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    you can't see the mansions for the trees but this is where i go for NA on Saturdays- its nuts people in very early recovery driving their bmws out. i don't identify with that group tbh, its another world, and they're mostly powdered coke fiends and actually for me its important to be around people who have degraded themselves to a similar level.

or chorton or didsbury- but they're not fancy houses. hale/bowdon is where the millionaires live.

come to think of it, i saw some nice houses in harborne/edgbaston but i'm going out on a limb here and would guess birminghams rich aren't as rich as macnesters rich. ah fuck i just came up with a pro for birmingham. guess footballers don't help.

16. Collapse Details

If it’s any consolation, I think Manchester and Birmingham are equally dire. Both are shit holes, and both have ear-rape sounding accents.

So put that in Rupert and smoke it.

17. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    You leave Rupert out of this.

18. Collapse Details

Yeah, hale area is the rich end, some areas like altrincham are fairly nice, although there are some nasty s(t)inkhole estates round there. Used to live just across the road from one of them, in broadheath, it was quite astonishing how fast things changed, forget the name of the dump in question now, but on one side of the main road, there is a playing field, people on that side all (or almost all) decent folk, cross over the other side to the estate near the big retail park and you'd be amazed how infested with thugs and arseholes and pikey trash of all stenches it gets, and how fast. Any further down that way than the corner shop or the welding store and its not a bad idea to carry a knife.

19. Collapse Details

On the subject of Manchester.....has anyone heard from Treacle of late?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12