Bluelight

Thread: Is it safe to be an Octopus while rolling?

1. Collapse Details
    Is it safe to be an Octopus while rolling? 
    A Conserved Role for Serotonergic Neurotransmission in Mediating Social Behavior in Octopus

Eric Edsinger
    G?l D?len

Behavioral analysis revealed conservation of prosocial function of MDMA in octopuses

subject animals were placed in a bath containing MDMA for 10 min

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(130991-6

2. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Sheesh, what a waste of MDMA.

Wonder if they suffer from LTC (long tentacle comedown)?

3. Collapse Details

I'd like to know where the mdma was made and where this study was carried out. Bet they swiped a bit of the octopus' gear before tipping it into the water. It's not as if they can complain unless it was Paul the psychic octopus. Did they gurn? So many questions, so few answers

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by leet View Post
    I'd like to know where the mdma was made
    I bet you would.

Party at the lab.

5. Collapse Details

Quite odd, because octopi are usually nearly completely asocial creatures, unless they are coming together to mate.

Strange creatures generally, being so asocial, and yet so highly intelligent, intelligence is generally seen most in social animals, humans included (although that said, we auties have the edge on the rest of ya hehe, just teasing, even if I am right ;P), I'd say that on a species level it even drives evolutionary development of greater intelligence, the social constructs in such creatures requiring intelligence to bring into being.

You'd also think that more intelligent creatures would tend towards being the longer lived creatures, that is to say, those species with a longer lifespan would have, in evolutionary terms, a greater benefit from having higher intelligence than species with a very short lifespan? and octopi do, they live for a maximum of about four maybe five years. It might be longer in the case of some which live in the deepest reaches of the abyssal trenches, given its very cold down there and there isn't much food, so deep sea life often has a very slow metabolic rate, a good example (and in a Cephalopod too) would be Vampyroteuthis, the so-called 'vampire squid from hell', most of the time it just floats, barely moving, only putting on a rapid burst of speed (which it can't maintain over time, AFAIK) when something edible floats by. And it seems to be the case in most animals that those with the lowest metabolic rates live longest, some tortoises can live over a century, and some giant clams even longer than that)

Quite an enigma IMO, the intelligence of octopi, non-social, short lifespan, what use is such an extremely highly developed (for an invertebrate) intelligence? I've even heard of them learning to squirt jets of salt water into electric mains outlets to short them out in order to sneak out of the tank under cover, slither out over the floor to a neighboring tank full of fish, stuff their faces and bugger off back again

And I can testify myself as to their exploratory instincts. Scuba diving in turkey, I thought *I* was the one doing the exploring, turned over this buggering great big sea snail shell to take a look at it's occupant, only it wasn't a foot-wide snail, it was a young common octopus (Octopus vulgaris), which promptly shot out of it's hole and clamped itself onto my face, I'll go out on a limb and say it looked just like the alien movies when a facehugger attacks someone, given its a pretty reasonable guess as to what it looks like, all I could see was suckers and the inside of an octopus at the time.

Wasn't hostile or aggressive, just very inquisitive, and, albeit its ascribing a humanized motivation to its actions, but it actually seemed quite playful, once it had gently been encouraged to make itself elsewhere than stuck on my face. Cute little thing it was, I've not eaten octopus since. Squid, I will, they aren't too bright, but in the case of octopodes, it seems a shame, wrong, to eat another sentient creature. I reckon they'd make fantastic pets, if it weren't for their really short lifespan.

As for gurning, no. That would be physically impossible when your face is a beak.

6. Collapse Details

Anything with 6 arms and two legs shouldn't be trusted especially on drugs.

I'd like to see them on spice! The ocean is just a whole box of fucked up without drugs. Will be seahorses next on ketamine or jelly fish on acid!

7. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfWessex View Post
    Anything with 6 arms and two legs shouldn't be trusted especially on drugs.

I'd like to see them on spice! The ocean is just a whole box of fucked up without drugs. Will be seahorses next on ketamine or jelly fish on acid!
    Fuck! What about sharks on monkey dust?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.B.A.R. View Post
    Fuck! What about sharks on monkey dust?
    Where does this fucking madness end!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfWessex View Post
    Where does this fucking madness end!!
    My mog just walked uo to me and asked if we could discuss getting him a Suboxone script ?!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.B.A.R. View Post
    Sheesh, what a waste of MDMA.

Wonder if they suffer from LTC (long tentacle comedown)?
    Bravo! ahahaha

11. Collapse Details

If only we had some mass observation experiment around the late 80s/90s where we could show what happened to human subjects eh?