Bluelight

Thread: Aqualung and Jethro Tull

1. Collapse Details
    Aqualung and Jethro Tull 
    I am a German speaking peason who wonders what "Aqualung" means, especially when talking about the great song/concept album by Jethro Tull. I know that Ian Anderson (who is the main figure of the band Jethro Tull) is very much against marijuana, espescially when smoked at his concerts (I remember a story where Ian Anderson refused to play because of someone in the audience was smoking marijuana).

I like smoking marijuana and I am enjoing Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson (going to a concert with him in a couple of weeks), so I wounder what you think? Can you explain the therm "Aqualung" to me in this sence?

2. Collapse Details

just a quick online search indicates that "aqualung" is a type of underwater diving suit
    Aqua-Lung was the first open-circuit, self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (or "SCUBA") to reach worldwide popularity and commercial success.This class of equipment is now commonly referred to as a diving regulator or demand valve. The Aqua-Lung was invented in Paris during the winter of 1942–1943 by two Frenchmen: the engineer ?mile Gagnan and Naval Lieutenant ("lieutenant de vaisseau") Jacques Cousteau. It allowed Cousteau and Gagnan to film and explore more easily underwater.
    and the lyrics of the jethro tull song are explained like this (on wikipedia - i can't verify its accuracy)

The lyrics convey a story of a homeless man named Aqualung. In stanzas 1 and 2, he is shown as a dirty tramp, who can't but evoke a sense of hopelessness and disgust, as not a single person in the world would ever help him. Aqualung is alone and sick, doomed to "bend to pick a dog-end" (British slang for a discarded cigarette butt). In stanza 3, he sees a light of hope for compassion, arising in encounter of the very storyteller (Aqualung my friend, don't you start away uneasy). But still, in stanza 4 the inevitable seems to happen, and a poor creature is "snatching <his> rattling last breaths". The indifference to grief is nevertheless reigning on earth, "and the flowers bloom like madness in the spring".

The lyrics compare the tramp's unhealthy breathing to "deep sea diver sounds", referring to the actual aqualung device.

i can understand why some bands don't want to play in (cigarette) smoky rooms night after night - i used to play gigs in clubs before smoking was banned in venues in australia, and it was pretty gross, as i wasn't a cigarette smoker.

but being pissed off enough to refuse to play sounds pretty uptight to me - especially for a big band.

anyway, i hope you enjoy the show. smoke a fatty for me

should we maybe move this to the music discussion subforum?
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹

3. Collapse Details

@ spacejunk:

of course I know all the stuff you have written. I would just like to get some more opinions. Also from other people, please!

About moving the tread? I don't know, sorry.

PS: I know a little bit about etymology and that both German and English belong to the very same subcategory of Germanic languages (even the sub-category of west Germanic languages). Sorry!

PPS: I hope this was not a little impolite or even rude. Peace to all of you!

4. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    All I can say is I've seen Jethro Tull live and every fucker in the audience were smoking spliffs with no complaints from Ian Anderson.

5. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Got to say, I saw Jethro Tull back in the day and totally enjoyed their shows. However, recently saw them performing at some festival on Palladia (cable channel featuring live performances) and Ian kept missing the down beat and was behind singing the lines repeatedly. It got so annoying I had to turn the channel and for the record, I was really looking forward to seeing their show!

6. Collapse Details

New Member Introductions
    My favorite's are Cross-Eyed Marry and Locomotive Breath.

Aqualung.. hmm.. Probably since the homeless man has so much snot in his nose, as spoken of in the song, and he smokes, bringing the mucus down into his airway, his lungs are full of moisture?

Or am i full of shit.
    - We don't see things the way they are, we see things the way we are. -
    ~~ PM me~~________~~Bluelight User Agreement~~

7. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by madness00 View Post
    My favorite's are Cross-Eyed Marry and Locomotive Breath.

Aqualung.. hmm.. Probably since the homeless man has so much snot in his nose, as spoken of in the song, and he smokes, bringing the mucus down into his airway, his lungs are full of moisture?

Or am i full of shit.
    Sounds good to me. BTW, Locomotive Breath was the song I saw on the tube where he kept missing the downbeat. Drives me crazy just thinking about it! That was actually the first song I heard of theirs and fell in love with them. I too really like Cross-Eyed Marry and even though I didn't like the wbole record as much, I still really enjoy "Thick as a Brick".
    Great use of a flute in rock music. Nice memories!

8. Collapse Details

Fuck! I don't find the ticket to the show!

My favourites of Jethro Tull are: Kelpie, Rainbow Blues, Thick as a brick, a passion play, Minstrel in the Galley, Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxLxTw7YDW8
    Last edited by ungelesene_bettlek; 15-11-2018 at 11:13.