1. Collapse Details
    ** Beta version of a new TR database searching system is live! ** 
    Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Hey trip report readers! The mods and I have been hard at work (since 2006 ) implementing a tagging system that is used to return custom search results of trip reports, Erowid style. There are various areas you can search for. For example, with this system you could search for, say, all reports of LSD in combination with a phenethylamine, by experienced users, where there was significant bodyload reported. Our hope is that this tagging/searching system will make us a highly usable trip reports database as useful and well-regarded as Erowid, with the additional benefits that (a) you can reply to reports and talk with the authors, and (b) you can post a report and have it published instantly, rather than having to wait sometimes 10 years or more to get it published on Erowid.

Currently we are in the process of back-tagging every single report ever submitted since 2001, manually, one at a time. I've gotten all of 2009 done, and most of 2018, and a lot of 2017. So there is a long way to go but a lot of reports are tagged now and more will be every day.

Eventually we will make the header of the TR forum into a search engine like this, but for now, you can try out the search engine at this link:

Trip Report Search Engine Beta

Try it out and let us know what you think! And if there is anything that does not seem to be working, let me know. If you execute a search and any results come back that are not part of Trip Reports or one of its sub-forums, please let me know as well. I get other results sometimes but it might be because I'm a senior mod.

2. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    The Dark Side
    I hope some people want to test this out! I'm trying to get all the bugs out so it can be put on top of the forum proper.

3. Collapse Details

Other Drugs
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Trip Reports
    Music Discussion
    The beta version works great. Great job.

4. Collapse Details

Awesome, looking forward to testing it!

5. Collapse Details

It would be great to have an alternative to Erowid. They've been put in an untenable position, where if they publish on novel psychoactive substances, they can drive use and bans. Failing to publish, though, means that users can't make informed decisions.

6. Collapse Details

I'm sure there was discussion about this, but it's there a reason why NBOx are in a separate category than psychedelic PEAs?

7. Collapse Details

I can't imagine how big a job it would be to assign tags to every report! I checked to ewe if it was working, and the first search I performed (vaporized or inhaled) for EPT failed to find Kaleida's report.
    http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...5#post14200485

I went back and noticed that there was a second field that I had not seen before (smoked). This brought up her report, so that's good.

I then selected smoked and vaporized in the search field, and that brought up no reports. I think the script should be written to search for x-roa OR y-roa, where right now it seems to search for x-roa AND y-roa.

The difference is subtle enough that it might be valuable to group the vaporized and smoked together for clarity. Inhaled (nitrous, etc.) further muddles things

8. Collapse Details

Searching by author and experience type (ie Kaleida AND positive) brings up only a blank screen, not a "no reports found" screen.

I could troubleshoot faster, but the DDOS protection limiting me to one search every 15 seconds slows things down a lot.

9. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    The Dark Side
    Nice feedback, thanks. I won't get to this stuff right away but I'll use this thread as my checklist. Yeah I have to look into whether ORs are allowed and how they would play in terms of order of operations with the ANDs. By the way, "inhaled" is supposed to be a catch-all for vaporization/smoking. But, it also refers to straight inhalation like with nitrous/inhalants. So I need to think of some way to differentiate.

Yeah tagging everything is a huge undertaking. I have some help, wouldn't turn down more! I tag about 100 reports a day. I've finished 2018, most of 2017 and all of 2009. Got the whole rest to go. Some random ones throughout are already tagged too. This project has been in the works since 2006 but this is the first time I've really pushed to fully realize it.

10. Collapse Details

Yeah, tagging sounds like a massive undertaking. I know I'm not even remotely meticulous enough for that. :-\

I'll spend some time trying to figure out how to categorize ROAs. Taxonomies are hard in general, practically impossible with drugs. For instance, are DOx phenethylamines, when they are by definition amphetamines? What to do with psychedelic empathogens?

I did notice that I couldn't find TMA-x reports anywhere. This report doesn't seem to come up at all. http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...ic-amphetamine

11. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    The Dark Side
    Yeah that report hasn't been tagged yet. They'll only come up if they've been tagged. Apparently none have been yet. We'll get there!

Yeah I decided to consider DOXs phenethylamines because when people search for "amphetamines" I think they are expecting the stimulant-style amphetamines, not the psychedelic ones. It's a bit ambiguous.

EDIT: I went ahead and tagged that one, and added TMA-2 and TMA-6 to the drop-downs. Also I realized I am in fact assigning "amphetamines" to the DOXs and other psychedelic amphetamines.
    Last edited by Shadowmeister; 06-11-2018 at 22:44.