Bluelight

Thread: Why does re-heated pasta or pizza taste better than when fresh?

1. Collapse Details
    Why does re-heated pasta or pizza taste better than when fresh? 
    Just wondering TBH...

2. Collapse Details

Mushroom
    I've heard people speak of this phenomena. I thought maybe it had something to do with tomato sauce molecules oxidizing into something better than they originally were via some chemical reaction that happens in the microwave or some shit, but I believe it even happens with non-tomato based pasta dishes?

It could be that flavours become concentrated as the pasta and its' sauce dry - like a curing process. I think that's why aged meats have such a following.. even though that's fucking gross.

Hope this helps.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Kaden_Nite View Post
    I've heard people speak of this phenomena. I thought maybe it had something to do with tomato sauce molecules oxidizing into something better than they originally were via some chemical reaction that happens in the microwave or some shit, but I believe it even happens with non-tomato based pasta dishes?

It could be that flavours become concentrated as the pasta and its' sauce dry - like a curing process. I think that's why aged meats have such a following.. even though that's fucking gross.

Hope this helps.
    My theory is that the water in the tomatoe sauce evaporates making it less soggy... or some shit

4. Collapse Details

What are you using to reheat? I've heard of pizza tasting better after reheating in the oven but never the microwave.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tjmothy View Post
    What are you using to reheat? I've heard of pizza tasting better after reheating in the oven but never the microwave.
    Oven for sure. It just turns into soggy mush in the microwave. I ordered 2 large pizzas from pizza hut on Tuesday night and ive just had the leftovers for lunch today heated up in the oven and it tasted much better than when it was delivered.

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Put a cup of tap water in the microwave with your pizza when re-heating. Stops the dough from being tough and the pizza from being soggy.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LoginNotSecure View Post
    Put a cup of tap water in the microwave with your pizza when re-heating. Stops the dough from being tough and the pizza from being soggy.
    Thats interesting, I didnt know that. Thanks

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter

9. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Basic Drug Discussion
    My dad says the same about meatloaf. With pizza, I don't trust the microwave because it doesn't heat evenly and I like mine on the crunchy side.

10. Collapse Details

That's with loads of things where you add spices to the meal.
    I've got stews, game dishes which have been marinated, pasta sauces etc...
    which taste much better the day after you've cooked them because imo all the spices get absorbed and diffused evenly by then.

11. Collapse Details

A microwave excites the water molecules in effect causing friction thats why things heat up. Food left overnight or longer generally tastes nicer as the flavours are concentrated in some part because some of the water has evaporated and also the ingredients have had time to infuse.

12. Collapse Details

Also maybe because of Maillard Reaction?

13. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    On the rare occasions that I can afford a Chinese or Indian takeaway, I always make a point of saving some for the next day as it tastes so much better - even when cold.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.B.A.R. View Post
    even when cold.
    LoL... you bloody heathen!!!!

15. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypse_when View Post
    LoL... you bloody heathen!!!!
    Heh But my point is that it's not the reheating that makes it taste better imo, but the fact it's been left standing, thus allowing all the flavours to diffuse throughout the meal as Arnold said above.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.B.A.R. View Post
    Heh But my point is that it's not the reheating that makes it taste better imo, but the fact it's been left standing, thus allowing all the flavours to diffuse throughout the meal as Arnold said above.
    See, I'm not 100% convinced on that bit. I still think it's just because the heating in the oven dries up the excess moisture associated with tomato based sauces.

I'm pleasantly suprised at the amount of replies this thread has generated bearing in mind it was only of those off the top of my head throwaway sort of threads
    Last edited by apocalypse_when; 26-10-2018 at 00:54.

17. Collapse Details

European & African Drug Discussion
    A Pottering Shed Somewhere in the Scotchland
    Anything “stewed” tastes better the next day... but the pasta component has to be fresh or it’s just mush. Curries pretty much need to be cooked in advance imo.

Pizza is a bit different for me. Next-day pizza is nice enough but never a patch on fresh. This may well depend on how good it was to start off with though. Good pizza always tastes good but bad pizza is seriously put to shame the next day.

I am now hungry