Bluelight

Thread: THC vs Total THC

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Collapse Details
    THC vs Total THC 
    #1
    Got my first shipment arrived and I tried Mango Haze and loved it. However, could anyone please explain to me how to understand this:

    THC 1.29% (Total THC 22.33% ). Sorry I am still Greenlighter so cannot post the picture of the label....


    Tried to search google but only was able to get something like "in dried plant it is very low level of THC and most of it is in form of THCA which gets converted to THC during the heating process (burning, vaping, extracting etc)".

    So what I need to be looking at is the Total THC content, right? Or am I missing/confusing something?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Bluelight Crew Jibult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    So.MD
    Posts
    5,358
    I'm sure a legal state-veteran'll chime in here soon, but I would take that to mean the 1.29% of the flower's weight is composed of THC-- and of the various other cannabinoids present in the flowers, THC would make up 22.33% of your bag's psychoactive material.

    I'm probably wrong, though. These labels can get confusing as shit.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Bluelighter
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by AddDICKted View Post
    Got my first shipment arrived and I tried Mango Haze and loved it. However, could anyone please explain to me how to understand this:

    THC 1.29% (Total THC 22.33% ). Sorry I am still Greenlighter so cannot post the picture of the label....


    Tried to search google but only was able to get something like "in dried plant it is very low level of THC and most of it is in form of THCA which gets converted to THC during the heating process (burning, vaping, extracting etc)".

    So what I need to be looking at is the Total THC content, right? Or am I missing/confusing something?
    Several years ago this issue cropped up w/Canadian Medical MJ users. So Health Canada mandated the label changes indicating a) The actual amount of THC, which will usually be very low and b) The content of THCA/potential THC if all THCA were converted into THC.


    So yeah, the total THC is the number you should be looking at (if you're trying to guess/assess the strength). The conversion happens automagically.

    Tom
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Davie View Post
    Several years ago this issue cropped up w/Canadian Medical MJ users. So Health Canada mandated the label changes indicating a) The actual amount of THC, which will usually be very low and b) The content of THCA/potential THC if all THCA were converted into THC.


    So yeah, the total THC is the number you should be looking at (if you're trying to guess/assess the strength). The conversion happens automagically.

    Tom
    We kind of do that here but the label is just printed with total THC, rather than the active form of it. Generally people are going to heat or cook the bud first so it's perfectly fair to let them advertise full THC content, it's not like you're going to be misleading people in 99.99% of cases. Easier for people to compare in articles and literature and shit too since most jurisdictions (legal or not) talk about it by total THC, not just active.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Hey, thanks to all of you guys! Been busy with conference for the last couple of days and only now saw your replies. I understand now. Basically I am looking for the total THC content. I did read at some website about that THCA as noted in OP, but they only have THC and Total THC on these labels and no anything mentioned about THCA so it was confusing.

    So the way I see it:

    THC - already active form of THC in the flower and its very low (thus you only feel very, very little high if you ingest flower without any form of heat (smoke, vape, cooking) or chemical extraction (alcohol .... this part I am not familiar with but you got the point), that if you even feel anything at all)

    THCA (which is missing on my label - and got from ontario's official mj distributor) is inactive form of THC which gets "activated" by heat or chemical process. I think I also read it is a bit heavier by weight than THC, so simple addition of THC and THCA would not provide accurate Total THC level

    Total THC - this is basically the number you need to be looking for and will determine your "effects".

    I did have some guess to it but I am just that "annoying" type of the person who needs to know/understand everything on the label. Hopefully it will give some insight to other guys who are curious as well.

    Peace Everyone!!!!
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Bluelighter w01fg4ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    4,959
    Good looking out, Dick!
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Moderator
    Drugs in the Media
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    S.J.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,399
    I was confused when I first saw this as well. I've learned a lot about cannabis since legalization.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Bluelighter SheWasLvL18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Persepolis
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by AddDICKted View Post
    Hey, thanks to all of you guys! Been busy with conference for the last couple of days and only now saw your replies. I understand now. Basically I am looking for the total THC content. I did read at some website about that THCA as noted in OP, but they only have THC and Total THC on these labels and no anything mentioned about THCA so it was confusing.

    So the way I see it:

    THC - already active form of THC in the flower and its very low (thus you only feel very, very little high if you ingest flower without any form of heat (smoke, vape, cooking) or chemical extraction (alcohol .... this part I am not familiar with but you got the point), that if you even feel anything at all)

    THCA (which is missing on my label - and got from ontario's official mj distributor) is inactive form of THC which gets "activated" by heat or chemical process. I think I also read it is a bit heavier by weight than THC, so simple addition of THC and THCA would not provide accurate Total THC level

    Total THC - this is basically the number you need to be looking for and will determine your "effects".

    I did have some guess to it but I am just that "annoying" type of the person who needs to know/understand everything on the label. Hopefully it will give some insight to other guys who are curious as well.

    Peace Everyone!!!!
    You're pretty much spot on. In addition to the THC the different Terpenes will also change the high. Terpenes, to put it simply, are the volatile chemicals that give cannabis strains (and many plants) their unique smells. Idk if they put terpenes on your packaging, but with time you will start to recognize profiles and can infer what the high will be based on the smells or listed terpenes.

    Also the formula is: THC + (THCa x .877) = Total THC

    Just to give an example of the terpenes. A really common one is limonene and it's responsible for really citrusy/lemony smells. Whenever I smell this I assume it's going to be an uplifting, cerebral high, what most would call a sativa.

    Note: the .877 is used to account for the loss of mass during decarboxylation
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •