Bluelight

Thread: First Plane With No Moving Parts Takes To Air

1. Collapse Details
    First Plane With No Moving Parts Takes To Air 
    Performance Enhancing Drugs
    Lightbulb
    This is pretty cool Star Trek-type stuff, check it out

First ever plane with no moving parts takes flight

Flight represents breakthrough that could lead eventually to carbon-neutral air travel

Last edited by CFC; 23-11-2018 at 16:18.

2. Collapse Details

NASA has been developing ion thrusters since the 50s, there are dozens of objects in orbit right now using the technology. It's not used in terrestrial aircraft because it's obscenely inefficient in most use cases, and only works in space because it doesn't have to be run constantly as there's no resistance to overcome like there is on Earth.

Take a look at the proof of concept: 600W to move 2.5kg. This is roughly the amount of wattage a DUAL-GPU PC running a stress test at full tilt would consume, just to put into context how insane it is to even imagine a quadcopter sucking down this much juice to stay in the air. It's like if I were to introduce a motorbike powered by a V8 Hemi engine and suggest that it's going to be the future. I would justifiably be laughed out of the building.

The concept is extremely limited in terms of improving efficiency enough for practical usage, given that the ion wind produced is wholly a side-effect of coronal discharge that depends on the amount of energy you have available to dump through a metal.

I'm certain I've mentioned it in S&T before but the name of the uncredited concept from the 1920s mentioned in the article is the Biefield-Brown effect, if you search YT for "ionocraft" there are a number of videos showing evidence of the concept.

3. Collapse Details

Face it mate, we're all going to be flying around in these things before the end of the decade, with floating cities in the sky before the end of the century. Elon Musk is working on it right now, so mark my words!

4. Collapse Details

The technology itself is great and probably the best contender for infinite-axis propulsion (think UFOs), but the only way it's going to happen is if someone develops portable fusion reactors first.

As far as Musk machinations are concerned, I am much more looking forward to the StarLink roll-out, which is actually happening now and will hopefully live up to the promise of truly global broadband internet.

5. Collapse Details

I suppose the tech as-is could be great if you want self-delivering letters lol. But yeah, portable fusion reactors would be rather fab, in lots of ways

6. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    I'm with you on this one CFC - I think it's pretty bloody impressive! It's only a matter of time now until the efficiency can be increased and the technology scaled up. I heard an interview on BBC radio yesterday with the MIT professor in charge of the project (who happens to be a Brit btw) and apparently he was told by a senior aerospace engineer that it would never work...