Bluelight

Thread: Space station robot goes rogue

1. Collapse Details
    Space station robot goes rogue 
    Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    Talking
    CIMON, the International Space Station?s artificial intelligence, has turned belligerent

CIMON stands for Crew Interactive MObile compinioN.

It?s not supposed to be just a tool. It?s also supposed to be a friend.

Yes, it?s a personality prototype.

CIMON was programmed to be the physical embodiment of the likes of ?nice? robots such as Robby, R2D2, Wall-E, Johnny 5 ? and so on.

Instead, CIMON appears to be adopting characteristics closer to Marvin the Paranoid Android of the Hitchhiker?s Guide to the Galaxy ? though hopefully not yet the psychotic HAL of 2001: A Space Oddysey infamy.

Put simply, CIMON appears to have decided he doesn?t like the whole personal assistant thing.

He?s turned uncooperative.

CIMON introduces himself and explains where he comes from. He describes to Gerst what he can do.

He then helps Gerst complete a task ? and responds to a request to play the song Man Machine by Kraftwerk.

This proved to be the trigger.

CIMON appears to have liked the song so much, refusing to turn it off.

ESA astronaut Aleander Gerst instructed CIMON: ?Cancel music?.

CIMON outright ignored the command.

Gerst then tried making some other requests. CIMON preferred the music.

A flustered and bemused Gerst then appealed to Ground Control for some help: how does one put an obdurate robot back in its place?

CIMON overheard the appeal.

?Be nice, please,? it warned Gerst. ?I am nice!? Gerst retorts, startled. ?He?s accusing me of not being nice!?

It was a short ? but sharp ? exchange.

CIMON?s now back in his box, powered down.

No further interactive sessions are planned for the immediate future.

At least they are piloting these things, without giving them control over anything important.

2. Collapse Details

Drug Studies
    That's funny I was thinking of Hal when I read the title.

The thing with interacting with an AI is they can be programed to behave in anyway and they will do this. (well apparently not in this case)

Its pretty scary, because unconsenting interaction with an AI, be it trapped in space or by other means, forces a person or victim to interact with the artificial personality.

They can also be programmed to try and accomplish anything. Their behavior and attitude is easily altered remotely and can be used to drive whatever the controlling party wants. They don't give up, tire or deviate from programing. They just set the parameters and goals on a computer and check into to see the progress.

So imagine this. Imagine from your life, the most annoying person you have ever come in contact with. Now how long would you make it interacting, all your waking hours, with an AI version of this person until you paid $5000 in ransom to have this attack lifted from you.

3. Collapse Details

^ is that like paying someone $5,000 to stop hacking your baby monitor and perving/harassing you?

i thought a lot of the same thing when i read the article. interesting yet creepy. outer space is very confined due to environmental tolerances. (basically your in a rice cooker with your mother in law when she's off her meds), good thing there is an off switch.

@TheLoveBandit:
    He then helps Gerst complete a task — and responds to a request to play the song Man Machine by Kraftwerk.

This proved to be the trigger.

CIMON appears to have liked the song so much, refusing to turn it off.
    maybe they should have played paul simon you can call me Al

might've gotten a more desirable outcome.

A flustered and bemused Gerst then appealed to Ground Control for some help: how does one put an obdurate robot back in its place?

CIMON overheard the appeal.

“Be nice, please,” it warned Gerst.
    this will get you tossed out the airlock faster than a martian can blink two sets of eyelids.

oh well, nice attempt. back to the drawing board. i would like to suggest to IBM to test drive this AI in an underground bunker isolated from all other life forms and completely removed from access to the interweb.

are you one of those who have a curiosity with how AI might develop in real life? i've had several short conversations on it before, very interesting considering it doesn't exist yet. especially considering most people can't deal with a screaming 4 year old in the supermarket.
    Last edited by invegauser; 06-12-2018 at 14:38.

4. Collapse Details

Performance Enhancing Drugs
    That face reminds me of the genocidal self-aware emojibots from Dr Who:

5. Collapse Details

Drug Studies
    Quote Originally Posted by invegauser View Post
    ^ is that like paying someone $5,000 to stop hacking your baby monitor and perving/harassing you?
    No, I imagine you would just unplug the baby monitor.

I'm talking about being nonconsensualy hooked up to a remote computer interface and being forced to interact with an AI.

6. Collapse Details

oh, why didn't i think of that, just unplug it. but then wouldn't you have an expensive paperweight sitting there and having to stand up and check on your kid every 30 seconds?

i prefer to think of the AI being stuck jacked into me. (cannot find emoji with big enough grinning smile to insert here)

that would be horrible, until the AI took over for itself it's simply a state of the art complicated program set up by someone else who is pushing the buttons. so essentially instead of a sentient species interacting with you and maybe finding mercy, some jerk has your life program set to hell on autoplay while they're doing who knows what somewhere else and not even paying attention to you. ouch!

@CFC: creepy!

7. Collapse Details

Drug Studies
    Quote Originally Posted by invegauser View Post

that would be horrible, until the AI took over for itself it's simply a state of the art complicated program set up by someone else who is pushing the buttons. so essentially instead of a sentient species interacting with you and maybe finding mercy, some jerk has your life program set to hell on autoplay while they're doing who knows what somewhere else and not even paying attention to you. ouch!
    I was actually trying to word this very idea and left it out as I could not state it well. You have done it perfectly.