Bluelight

Thread: Will pure benzo (Phenazepam) powder degrade over time?

1. Collapse Details
    Will pure benzo (Phenazepam) powder degrade over time? 
    Hello.

Around 10 years ago i bought some Phenazepam (100mg if i remember correctly).

It arrived in a small ziploc bag and i was not prepared about how tiny the amount of 100mgs was.

I just shrugged my head and thought it was useless. Put it in my drawer until a likeminded but wilder friend visited.

He tried to dip the tip of a match in the bag and licked it and was benzoed out for days.

My GF then reacted like any sane person would and flushed the ziploc.

Fast forward til today.

I'm middle aged, not using any drugs besides the occasional alcohol or what doctors prescribe.

The GF is pregnant and i just started thinking about that damn Phenazepam and am worried that some of it leaked out into our apartment and is still lingering around.

I dont remember dropping any, but that bag was probably not 100% clean on the outside and was lying around a few places, and sure some "dust" must have leaked when we opened and handled it.

So i guess my question is, can i hope any Phenazepam particles that eventually went floating around in the apartment has degraded by now? Or that they have broken down into small enough parts that they are virtually non existent?

10 years of vacuuming must have had some effect. But then there is of course parts of the apartment that has been more or less untouched, like the inner of drawers and closets.

Not really sure what to do besides hoping and cleaning :/

2. Collapse Details

If stored in a dry, dark place, phenazepam will last for long time... not sure how long powder scattered around an apartment would last (being exposed to more oxygen and sunlight, it's going to degarde faster), but realistically, there is nothing for you to worry about.

Look at it this way: Phenazepam is about as potent as lorazepam, maybe slightly less. Sure, the ~1 mg you'd have to take to get a normal relaxing effect looks tiny to the naked eye, but it is going to be hard to absorb that much accidentally, unless your girlfriend likes to run her fingers along the corners of long-unopened dirty drawers and then lick them (and if so, wtf is wrong with her? ).

Just to clarify, your skin is pretty good at preventing you from absorbing drugs unless they come in a specially formulated transdermal patch. You can't get high just from a speck of phenazepam dust (or even a significant amount of phenazepam dust) landing on your skin; you'd have to swallow or inhale it. And if your apartment is so dirty that your wife is inhaling significant amounts of dust particles, you've certainly got much bigger problems on your hand than tiny amounts of drugs entering her system.

Also, consider the math, if you will: You started out with roughly 100 mg. That's enough for roughly 100 therapeutic doses. Your girlfriend flushed almost all of it. Let's be generous and say there are 10 mg left lying around your house. That's 10 therapeutic doses. 10 years and a whole apartment is a lot of time and space to scatter these, especially because you were repeatedly vacuuming the floor and swiping the furniture.

Lastly, here's a pretty good argument about why your fears are probably unfounded: Remember, your girlfriend flushed the bag. Unless she was wearing a full hazmat suit, this would have exposed her to far more phenazepam dust than any other day in your house. Did she seem benzo'd out of her skull after that? If not, that *really* tells you how hard it is to accidentally get high off of this stuff.

3. Collapse Details

Thanks for your answer. I guess i am freaking out more than reasonal... thats anxiety

I hear what you are saying. In the unlikely event an adult would catch 1mg it would of course not be the end of the world, i am more worried about the coming toddler. Which will probably be more into licking stuff than the GF.

Sadly the apartment must have held a pretty constant temperature. Was hoping someone could calm me by saing exposure to air would break things down or something..
    Last edited by saltystony; 07-12-2018 at 11:22.

4. Collapse Details

It will degrade but not in a short enough timeframe for it to matter.

5. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Life Advice & Visual Arts
    If this stuff was active in the microgram range (such as many psychedelics) then you might have cause for concern. But from what you've said it is extremely unlikely that there will be active residues in your environment. I bought a gram of this stuff and was pretty careless with it (especially after a couple of doses), with no harm to my wife or kids. Luckily, the wife flushed most of it after seeing what a retarded mess I became over the course of a couple of weeks.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by white55 View Post
    It will degrade but not in a short enough timeframe for it to matter.
    Any idea what timeframe we are talking about then? 100 years or what?

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.B.A.R. View Post
    If this stuff was active in the microgram range (such as many psychedelics) then you might have cause for concern. But from what you've said it is extremely unlikely that there will be active residues in your environment. I bought a gram of this stuff and was pretty careless with it (especially after a couple of doses), with no harm to my wife or kids. Luckily, the wife flushed most of it after seeing what a retarded mess I became over the course of a couple of weeks.
    You mean you think any stray particles should likely be divided into micrograms by now?

7. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
    If stored in a dry, dark place, phenazepam will last for long time... not sure how long powder scattered around an apartment would last (being exposed to more oxygen and sunlight, it's going to degarde faster), but realistically, there is nothing for you to worry about.

Look at it this way: Phenazepam is about as potent as lorazepam, maybe slightly less. Sure, the ~1 mg you'd have to take to get a normal relaxing effect looks tiny to the naked eye, but it is going to be hard to absorb that much accidentally, unless your girlfriend likes to run her fingers along the corners of long-unopened dirty drawers and then lick them (and if so, wtf is wrong with her? ).

Just to clarify, your skin is pretty good at preventing you from absorbing drugs unless they come in a specially formulated transdermal patch. You can't get high just from a speck of phenazepam dust (or even a significant amount of phenazepam dust) landing on your skin; you'd have to swallow or inhale it. And if your apartment is so dirty that your wife is inhaling significant amounts of dust particles, you've certainly got much bigger problems on your hand than tiny amounts of drugs entering her system.

Also, consider the math, if you will: You started out with roughly 100 mg. That's enough for roughly 100 therapeutic doses. Your girlfriend flushed almost all of it. Let's be generous and say there are 10 mg left lying around your house. That's 10 therapeutic doses. 10 years and a whole apartment is a lot of time and space to scatter these, especially because you were repeatedly vacuuming the floor and swiping the furniture.

Lastly, here's a pretty good argument about why your fears are probably unfounded: Remember, your girlfriend flushed the bag. Unless she was wearing a full hazmat suit, this would have exposed her to far more phenazepam dust than any other day in your house. Did she seem benzo'd out of her skull after that? If not, that *really* tells you how hard it is to accidentally get high off of this stuff.
    Phenazepam is at least 4 times stronger then lorazepam. If not more.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ovo1024 View Post
    Phenazepam is at least 4 times stronger then lorazepam. If not more.
    Any sources for that?
    Because I find that extremely unlikely. That would put phenazepam on a level with triazolam and brotizolam.

Pharma phenazepam is sold in tablets of up to 2.5 mg. If your claim were true, that would make one of those bad boys as potent as 100 mg of diazepam... which seems doubtful.

In fact, some sources state phenazepam to be only 5 times the potency of diazepam, i.e. closer to half that of lorazepam.
    http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...cy-to-Diazepam
    Last edited by Hodor; 10-12-2018 at 09:40.

9. Collapse Details

Other Drugs
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22417837
    The compound is relatively potent with recommended doses of 0.5-1.0 mg, or 1/10th the recommended dose of diazepam
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24022117
    Phenazepam is widely available on the Internet, and recreational drug users report a potency 10-fold greater than that of nordiazepam.
    (nordiazepam is roughly as potent as diazepam)
    So it looks like it's around the same potency as lorazepam

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by saltystony View Post
    You mean you think any stray particles should likely be divided into micrograms by now?
    Let's look at it this way:
    Let us again assume that you, your buddy, your partner, and whoever packaged the phenazepam had been *extremely* careless with it, and a whopping 10 mg out of your original 100 mg got scattered: The amount of phenazepam needed to get a baby high (god, that just sounds wrong) would be roughly 100 micrograms. So *at the very worst*, we've initially got the equivalent of 100 such doses inside your apartment.
    After 10 years of air currents blowing dust particles out of the apartment or into unreachable spaces, and dirt being removed at regular intervals by vacuuming/swiping/scrubbing, the chance of even one such dose remaining in a space where it is still reachable by a baby, AND loose enough that it will stick to that baby's hand so it can be accidentally ingested later, is effectively nil.

Even in the *extremely* unlikely event that a baby were to ingest a psychoactive amount of phenazepam, you have to keep in mind that benzodiazepines have a huge "therapeutic window", so the dose needed to actually endanger a baby's health would be far greater.
    Last edited by Hodor; 10-12-2018 at 10:48.

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Teleporting from a different location nowhere near this one
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodor View Post

Not if she flushed the toilet with the toilet seat down.
    I learnt that in the best of bluelight thread "is it really necessary to wash your hands after you take a dump" you should check it out there's some good points in there alot i dont agree with and i'm still wondering wether i shoulkd change my habits. But only thinking about it i never said i would.

12. Collapse Details

Come on, i am freaking out here. I am totally depressed about this situation i have created which doesnt seem to have any solutions