Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canada legalizes cannabis: October 17th, 2018

Cannabis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by thujone View Post
    I finally tried some OCS nugs, underwhelming is the most charitable thing I can really say about it. The fact that it can't match the black market nugs at least on quality, if not price as well, is disappointing. There has already been a recall for mouldy nugs amongst the OCS wares, although the nugs I got were so very dry. It's been many years since I've had such craptacular product.

Worst of all is the weird limit on how much you can order (less than an oz, IIRC), which is reminiscent of the bad old days of LCBO when they would tally how much alcohol you would be allowed to buy. No discount by volume, either!
    If you want the 'best' that the Canadian legal market has, then I would recommend Broken Coast. But the price is obscene. Generic 1/8's are reasonable in price. Half of what I've purchased has been overly dry. One odd, bright spot is that pre rolled 0.5g joints are no more expensive than buying the gram and rolling yourself, All of the stores look like the interiors of doctor's offices

Tom

Yeah that's the issue, for better stuff the cost is nuts. What annoys me the most is the limit and no bulk discount. I can't imagine how they thought this would work, muscling into an established market and not even bothering to do due-diligence on the competition?

I'll be looking forward to seeing some historical sales data, really curious to see just how many people tried OCS then immediately went back to their old dealers.

Bluelighter
    Yeah or the number of medical patients (totally separate program) who have dealers to back them up because they can't even get people their medicine they are so dumb in the head apparently and supposedly leading the country. I could have sketched this up with a group of stoners in a day... and written it off as the dumbest shit ever. It's not legal yet.

Canada loves its people! Of coarse Medical marijuana should be legalized, and it does come with dangers, but have you seen what alcoholics and smokers look like? It has medical benefits unlike tabacco and can cause the same if not less the amount of physical and mental destruction. We already have alcohol which ,when intoxicated with, can cause serious damage.

Bluelighter
    It has been harder for me to get weed since it became legal, that is why I won't consider it legal until I can walk into a nearby dispensary not any further away than the average beer store. I've managed, but I feel like a 15 year old again driving around to grab quarters and having to make that connection. It's a rush though I don't mind it having been a dope fiend this is probably better for me. Nobody's gonna hassle me over weed and yeah it keeps the hustle going so I don't mind. It's also just way cheaper with a good connect and I smoke through a lot and don't often have the time to wait. Impatient with my herb when I'm low.

Drugs in the Media
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    Quebec takes hard line on cannabis with bill raising legal age to 21
    Jocelyne Richer
    CTV News
    December 5th, 2018

QUEBEC -- The Quebec government tabled legislation Wednesday that would impose the strictest cannabis controls in the country, raising the legal age to 21 and outlawing consumption in public.

The Coalition Avenir Quebec government campaigned on the promise to increase the age, and it followed through with a bill that would also see consumption prohibited in all public places, including parks and streets.

Lionel Carmant, the junior health minister, said he is worried about the effects of cannabis on the still-developing brains of young adults.

He told a news conference that studies have shown cannabis can cause damage to brain neurons until age 25, and he personally would have preferred setting the limit at 25.

The goal is to "delay the first consumption as much as possible," Carmant told a news conference at a Quebec City high school. He said he rejects the "fatalistic argument" that the higher age limit will push teenagers and young adults to illegal sources like criminal organizations.
    Read the full story here.

-----

Marlboro maker places $2.4B bet on Canadian marijuana company
    CBC
    December 7th, 2018

Marlboro maker Altria Group Inc. will invest $2.4 billion in Canadian cannabis producer Cronos Group Inc. -- marking a major foray by Big Tobacco into the pot sector -- as the global market for weed continues to grow.

The Virginia-based parent of the company behind Marlboro, Parliament and other cigarette brands will acquire a 45 per cent ownership stake in Cronos with the initial investment announced Friday.

Altria can also invest up to a further $1.4 billion within four years that would increase its ownership stake in the Toronto-based pot producer to 55 per cent under the arrangement.

"Altria brings scale, expertise and complementary capabilities ... that we believe will enable us to expand the scope and enhance the scale of our company," Mike Gorenstein, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Cronos, said on a call with analysts Friday.

Cronos will remain a Canadian company, headquartered in Toronto, Gorenstein said.

-----

'Do they want the tax money?': Small pot growers find municipal roadblocks on path to microcultivation licences
    Laura Kane
    National Post
    December 9th, 2018

...Boissonneault and Gallagher now run a handful of small legal medical grow-ops in British Columbia and are among the "craft" producers who hope to use their skills in the fledgling recreational market by getting a new licence for microcultivation.

But would-be applicants are discovering a major hurdle in their way: obtaining municipal approval and zoning, a key requirement of the licences. Many cities have not established zoning and either aren't ready or are reluctant to allow microcultivation, growers say.

Small growers say the federal government failed to educate municipalities about the new licences and the need to create zoning to support them. As a result, they say, applications are delayed, the legal supply chain is beset with shortages and the illegal market continues to flourish.

"The spirit (of microcultivation licences) was to get the small growers involved and to get the black market to convert over to the new market," said James Walsh, president of the BC Micro Licence Association. "In reality we're just not seeing it."

Ottawa began accepting applications from microgrowers on Oct. 17, the same day it legalized recreational weed. The licences cover 200 square metres of plant canopy, allowing a premium cannabis producer to make up to $3 million in gross revenue a year, Walsh said.

Cannabis Discussion

Although not intentionally done, the effect of Quebec raising the age of consumption from18-21 will drive these individuals to the black market. If they can’t purchase legally, then they will purchase illegally (as has always been done up until October 17th).

Off topic; but I would like to see Health Canada lighten up with respect to advertising and/or branding. Currently there is nothing that distinguishes one ‘brand’ from another.

Tom

Drugs in the Media
    Health Canada has come out with draft regulations for the next wave of cannabis products: edibles, extracts, and topical formulations.

It looks like pretty much every kind of product one could think of is going to be allowed, including:
    - any type of extract (hash, shatter, THC crystals, etc.);
    - THC produced synthetically;
    - pretty much any kind of food (although meat is only allowed if dried);
    - any kind of drink (but not combined with alcohol);
    - coffee and tea;
    - alcohol tinctures (only up to 7.5 g of total liquid per package); and
    - vape pens and cartridges.

Foods and drinks can have natural caffeine (e.g. teas, coffee, chocolate) up to 30 mg per package, but no added caffeine or nicotine.

Food and drink items can only have up to 10 mg of THC per package. I imagine this is going to be the biggest complaint.

Extracts can be sold with up to 1 gram of THC per package. So, for example, you could buy up to 2.5 g of a 40% extract, or 1 g of 99% THC crystals.

If you don't feel like reading the entire document, check out this table which summarizes the new rules.

The publication of these draft regulations kicks off two months where Health Canada will be taking feedback, so feel free to send them your ideas!

Cannabis Discussion

Went into a weed store on Monday and asked for Sativa or Indica’s over 20% THC. None. No ounces, 1/2’s, 1/4’s or 1/8’s. just single grams. No pre rolls. Walked out of the store w/o a purchase, went home and ordered from an online dispensary (black market).

Just this week, one of the two LP’s that reside in Winnipeg got caught selling black market weed. They had purchased 200kg in another province, stored it in their Winnipeg warehouse and were selling it until one of their own employees blew the whistle to Health Canada. Seems as if the black market stuff failed a pesticide check. The board of executives were fired and the license to produce/sell has been suspended.

Tom

Cannabis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by S.J.P. View Post
    Health Canada has come out with draft regulations for the next wave of cannabis products

Food and drink items can only have up to 10 mg of THC per package. I imagine this is going to be the biggest complaint.
    Absolutely love that a chocolate bar can contain 10 mg THC. For the entire bar. Not only will this be a big complaint; it is unworkable. 10 mg THC per individual piece is more reasonable.

Tom

Yes 10 mg THC per package is ridiculous indeed

yeah I suffer from the occasional panic attack and hence keep my cannabis doses pretty low, but 10mg orally sounds pretty doable even for me, lol

Cannabis Discussion

Imagine this 10 mg chocolate bar with 10 pieces. That’s a whopping 1 mg per piece. I’ve got no problem with having low dose edibles such as this, but to restrict it to this is just plain wrong. I hope it ends up being something sensible such as a 10 mg/piece, 100 mg/bar limit (because they are going to impose limits).

Tom

Drugs in the Media
    I feel like there's a good chance they will change the 10-mg-per-package limit if they get enough e-mails criticising it. I think I will send one in and encourage you all to do so as well! I will focus on how it will actually increase harm by pushing heavier users towards smoking and away from oral use.

Drugs in the Media
    Canadians bought $43M worth of marijuana in the first 2 weeks after legalization
    CBC
    December 21st, 2018

Statistics Canada says sales at cannabis stores in the two weeks after legalization totalled $43 million.

The agency started collecting data for in-store and online sales from cannabis retailers as of Oct. 17, when fresh or dried bud, oil, plants and seeds became legal for recreational use in the country.

Ontario led the way with more than $11 million in sales, with Quebec just behind at more than $10 million.

After that:

- Alberta: $5.6 million.
    - Nova Scotia: $4.5 million.
    - British Columbia: $2.3 million.
    - New Brunswick: $2.1 million.
    - Newfoundland and Labrador: $1.7 million.
    - Prince Edward Island: $1.4 million.
    - Saskatchewan: $341,000.

Data for Nunavut was unavailable, and figures for Manitoba, Yukon and Northwest Territories were withheld, citing privacy concerns. Despite its small population, P.E.I. sold more pot per capita than any other province, with more than $8 worth of marijuana sold in those two weeks for every person in the province.

Graph of cannabis sales per capita by province:

NSFW:

Bluelighter
    Once again I'm shocked by how open the questionnaire really was. Most questions seemed more concerned with making special rules so those must be to help guide money into pockets but overall at least there was ample opportunity to repeatedly point out the high level of fear is unwarranted.

10mg edibles is hilarious. I'd get so fat from cookies before I even got a feeling of taking anything. Someday in the future the people who wrote that idea down thinking it was serious will get to laugh at themselves.

Drugs in the Media
    Quote Originally Posted by S.J.P. View Post
    I think I will send one in and encourage you all to do so as well! I will focus on how it will actually increase harm by pushing heavier users towards smoking and away from oral use.
    I just filled out Health Canada's feedback questionnaire and made sure to harp on the 10-milligram-per-package limit for edibles. You can access the questionnaire here!

Drugs in the Media
    Ontario announces winners of cannabis retail lottery, no known names emerge victorious
    Vanmala Subramaniam
    Financial Post
    January 12th, 2019

Ontario has announced the results of its much-anticipated cannabis retail lottery, naming 25 companies that are now eligible to begin applying for a licence to operate a brick-and-mortar pot shop in the province.

Absent from the list of 25 were any known cannabis retail brands such as The Friendly Stranger and National Access Cannabis -- the latter already operates a number of cannabis retail shops across the country.

Among the companies randomly selected by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) were Pure Alpha Holdings, Tripsetter Inc., CGS Foods Inc., and The Niagara Herbalist.

A majority of the 25 lottery winners appeared to be individuals, as opposed to corporations -- sole proprietorships made up 64 per cent of the overall applications submitted, according to the AGCO, while on 33 per cent were registered corporations.

In the region of Toronto for instance, lottery winners were listed as Heather Conlon, Seyedarash Seyedameri, Colin Campbell, Dana Michele Kendal and Hunny Gawri.

-----

Cannabis supply chain difficulties expected to subside: Health Canada
    Angela Stelmakowich
    The GrowthOp
    January 16th, 2019

The supply chain difficulties that have hit some cannabis retailers and distributors hard--cited by the Ontario government as a main driver in its decision to temporarily limit retail licences to 25--are expected to ease in time and were anticipated, says a Health Canada spokesperson.

"It is expected that as the market stabilizes, the supply chain difficulties currently being experienced by provincial and territorial retailers and distributors will dissipate and that localized and product-specific shortages will become far fewer in number," Tammy Jarbeau, senior media relations advisor serving Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada, notes in a recent email to The GrowthOp.

"Health Canada is aware of reports of localized shortages of cannabis products in some markets and for some product lines," Jarbeau says, but reiterates what Health Canada has said for some time: supply exceeds sales.

Federal inventory exceeds supply

The latest figures out of Ottawa--federal licence-holders and provincial and territorial public bodies must report information to Health Canada by the 15th of each month through the Cannabis Tracking System--show total sales of cannabis for medical and non-medical purposes during the previous month.

Specifically, the figures show total sales of dried cannabis as of Nov. 30 increased 22 percent to 8,872 kg from October. Total sales of cannabis oil climbed 14 percent to 7,805 litres month over month, note the figures released late on Jan. 15.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123