News 2 Factor Authentication is now available

TheLoveBandit

Indefinite break from BL - contact other admin
For the more security minded among our members, we are enabling 2 Factor Authentication for your account with Bluelight. This is an opt-in feature, meaning we are not forcing everyone to use 2fa to interact with the site but if YOU wish to have it we can enable it for your account. Unfortunately, this requires a bit of account tweaking by the admin, not a lot but it isn't something members can turn on-off for themselves (blame Xenforo). If you wish to have this feature, please PM an admin and we'll take care of adjusting your account accordingly.

If you have it enabled, you will now see the following available to you:

If you go to your profile > Password and security
rTbNwvq.png

You will now have the option to 'Change' (enable) 2fa
YGOKXL9.png

There are 3 methods provided by Xenforo. You may choose whichever method you are most comfortable with:
xho79Ca.jpg

For a bit more explanation, here is a link to the Xenforo explanation of the 2fa feature.

We'll keep this ANNOUNCEMENT open for replies as people may have questions, and answers, that others can benefit from sharing. We'd like to give a quick shout out to @BlueBull and @BenzoBrain^ for helping us test this out prior to public use. Cheers!

Absolutely no sense of humor today I see! 🤣 🍃

Well on a serious note then: if you enable this do you get special access to something or what? Either that or what are ya'll posting about and sending via PM that I don't know about? Feeling left out! :cry:

Use a burner phone or one of the sms lines from voip.ms for best results - better yet, dont use the phone option!
Good advice (now that we're all serious here). If using a phone option and unless a burner: kinda defeats the object of any other security or anonymity now doesn't it. Then again: by definition a burner is meant to be tossed. Often! So hope you got money to burn (every pun intended)! 🤣

lmao people really talking about burners in 2021 and burners that run apps and shit like that

I'll translate that to millenial:

👮‍♀️ 👮‍♂️ 🔎 🔥 📱 🗺️ 📍⛓️ 🔐 😥
Excellent. And I commend you on your translation! Too clever! :love:

it's two-factor authentication. if you enable it you get access to two-factor authentication.

alasdair
I was being facetious! :ROFLMAO:

I mean we now have 2fa upon request, somebody banging on about encrypted passwords on another thread, yet another thread about possible PM encryption... What are we doing here? Like I said: maybe enabling this option gets you special access to some goodies! :ROFLMAO: Point being: other than a curious spouse or partner I cannot think of any explicable reason to go to the trouble. Not here anyway. But as always: I'm always open to enlightenment!

Suppose on the other hand: if it makes some sleep better at night well then so be it!

Whatever. I'll leave it at that. It's clearly evident that my sense of humor this week is going down like a rock with some (this not particularly in reference to you though so don't go getting the wrong end of the stick)! :)

This will serve as a BUMP for those interested in utilizing 2fa on BL with their account.

I'll also use this to say the feature may be going away. We set this up per member requests, but over a year later we only have 2 people using it out our entire membership. One of those hasn't logged in since 5d after he registered. It doesn't make sense to maintain an add-on for such a small group when every add-on present opportunities for things to break anytime there's an upgrade.

We'll let this run a little longer and see if use becomes worth maintaining. For those interested.

For the more security minded among our members, we are enabling 2 Factor Authentication for your account with Bluelight. This is an opt-in feature, meaning we are not forcing everyone to use 2fa to interact with the site but if YOU wish to have it we can enable it for your account. Unfortunately, this requires a bit of account tweaking by the admin, not a lot but it isn't something members can turn on-off for themselves (blame Xenforo). If you wish to have this feature, please PM an admin and we'll take care of adjusting your account accordingly.

It can't be too hard to maintain a feature that's commonly available on other platforms. The wake n bakers on reddit can use it but not anyone here. Bruh.

Last edited:
I travel too much to bother with 2FA on my BL account.

I’m quite surprised there is such low usage

I normally stay logged in on my browser but I just logged out and back in to double check, I guess I’m one of the few people to actually use it

I personally treat 2FA just kind of as a given, and will always use it if available

I’m not particularly concerned with the security of my account, but it is reassuring to have given the nature of the information I divulge here lol…

I will pay to keep using this feature since I'm literally the only one who is at risk of account compromise

You actually have not requested it, nor is it turned on for your account.

6qphm8.jpg

Well
this makes three ...

There are still only 2. And you aren't one of them either. Please insert another token to receive the previous applicable image.