• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

2-methyl-2-butanol (2M2B) "Vodka"

Might just try it with simple EtOH some time, as I'll be playing around with a novel carbamate (hopefull) prodrug soon, and if I'm poking around with one, might as well try a few others, and hey, EtOH is cheap as shit.

Hehe, MDPV is good stuff, quite possibly a favourite amongst stimulants for me, that ivory wave stuff that IIRC is a mix of pentylone and MDPV was pretty nice, too early in the morning for me though, I am just about to go to bed as soon as I send an associate of mine some data on mutagenesis of ergot fungus, couldn't be doing whizz this fuckin' early!

this dilution idea has been floated for GHB as well, essentially mixing up a batch of some tasty cocktail-like beverage (sans alcohol) and mixing in enough GHB to make it equivalently intoxicating as a cocktail. Say 0.5g of GHB per drink or so.

Cant remember where the idea was raised but i think it came down to GHB having too steep a dose-response curve. Still, i think it would be worth trying

too early in the morning for me

This is off last night. Not a jot of sleep last night. You don't think I'd get up from a nice restful bed to intentionally force this state upon me at this hour of the morning, do you?

Sounds like a horrid idea with GHB, for exactly that reason.

Few shots too many and hey you wake up (if your lucky) with a cock up your arse in a back alley, or gibbering semi-naked and covered in fire ants whilst being stuck headfirst down a public porta-potty in some random farmers field.

Etc.

Recipe for disaster IMO.

That's without even getting into the realm of the clever set that would make cocktails of the two. Ever thought a 'Zombie' might be an accurate reflection of the effect? Think again

I'd rather not think about it, I saw the result of somebody gulping GBL from the bottle after getting royally pissed as a fart, only saw the beginning of it as the little fuckup in question (she is a bitch for other reasons entirely but that is another story.) was packing me off to hospital thanks to an OD at the time, and saw fit to gulp down a load of my GBL.

Not pretty.

LOL FnB, funny as always.

I am now kinda concerned about it being an irritant (expecting to experiment with it soon). Would you say it is more of an irritant than plain ethanol? I have pretty weak GI lining and am prone to bleeding if I overdo it with irritants. I now know how to control (more or less) my ethanol and NSAID intake to avoid such problems, but I'm not sure about this one...

Also, I am really wondering why the carbamate of Ethanol has not been made. It would be awesome to have vodka pills ;).

I am interested in this carbamate stuff now. Without much synth discussion, would someone be able to provide some links to general carbamic acid chemistry?

EDIT: Wait, the ethanol one already exists! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_carbamate

Last edited:
LOL thank you :D. Please let me know what results your research shows.

I was unaware that alcohol's irritant properties had absolutely nothing to do with the damage it causes. I suppose this is why I can drink a whole bottle of tequila when I take my Rabeprazole...

So do you suppose that 2m2b has a similar pharmacological action on the stomach?

The carbamate subplot in this thread is a pretty interesting digression. I'd like someone's opinion on complexing a substrate like 2m2b (or what have you) with cyclodextrin as an alternative way of producing a powdered form of this drug (compare to the technology in wiki's Ethanol Powder article). Apparently, complexing with cyclodextrin is relatively doable, and what you get is many molecules of the active drug packaged in a structure such as this one:

150px-Gamma_CD_cone_shape.jpg

which then you'd need no enzyme to free the active component because there are no covalent bonds to break. And then so but I haven't done the math yet but with 2m2b being active in the single-digit milligram range, you'd be able to pack a dose into a very tiny amount of gamma powder (like fifty to a hundred doses would fit into a tablespoon) and then place this in a gelatin capsule or whatever and then swallow and enjoy the muzak.

That is fascinating, thank you!

I'd love to hear more about cyclodextrin. I really am not a fan of chugging down ethanol, let alone something pungent and irritating like the descriptions of 2m2b here...

To be honest, I'm not sure if anyone even knows the mechanism by which ethanol induces stomach acid secretion

I'm fairly sure it's because it increases the secretion of gastrin - a hormone that stimulaters the stomach's oxyntic cells to release hydrochloric acid

The carbamate subplot in this thread is a pretty interesting digression. I'd like someone's opinion on complexing a substrate like 2m2b (or what have you) with cyclodextrin as an alternative way of producing a powdered form of this drug (compare to the technology in wiki's Ethanol Powder article). Apparently, complexing with cyclodextrin is relatively doable, and what you get is many molecules of the active drug packaged in a structure such as this one:

150px-Gamma_CD_cone_shape.jpg

which then you'd need no enzyme to free the active component because there are no covalent bonds to break. And then so but I haven't done the math yet but with 2m2b being active in the single-digit milligram range, you'd be able to pack a dose into a very tiny amount of gamma powder (like fifty to a hundred doses would fit into a tablespoon) and then place this in a gelatin capsule or whatever and then swallow and enjoy the muzak.

Unfortunately, being in China, I can't see any pictures hosted on wikipedia. Would you mind upping it to tinypic so I can get a look at that?

Also, the cyclodextrin idea sounds better considering the large incidence of side effects (including carcinogenic properties) that come with ethyl carbamate.

Edit: Thanks for the upload. Didn't see your post until I replied.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out how this cyclodextrin stuff works.

Without too many specifics, is this a sort of powder that people buy and soak with alcohol? Or is it something that is actually artificially synthesized around the alcohol molecules?

Patent I
Patent II
Patent III

Wikipedia ("Alcohol powder"):
[...] alcohol can be absorbed in cyclodextrines, a sugar derivate. [...] The cyclodextrines can absorb an estimated 60 percent of their own weight in alcohol.

The cyclodextrin froms a complex with the alcohol. They aren't bound per se, but the alcohol is held inside the cylinder-like structure. There is also a novel agent for reversing an anesthetic drug that works in a similar way. I'll add a link to that in a bit.

Edits contained below
The novel agent that reverses the neuromuscular blockade caused by rocuronium (a drug like pancuronium) is called sugammadex. It works in a similar manner.

Also, more possibly related patents.

Last edited:
That is fascinating, thank you!

I'd love to hear more about cyclodextrin. I really am not a fan of chugging down ethanol, let alone something pungent and irritating like the descriptions of 2m2b here...

It wouldn't be economical for ethanol. You'd need to spend over $500 to powder a liter of 80-proof vodka.

I haven't read the patents, but 2m2b is almost twice as heavy as ethanol. So if all else is equal and one cyclodextrin can hold up to 60% of it's weight in ethanol, then it can hold (conservative estimate) 100% of its weight in 2m2b. If potency is 20 times greater with 2m2b than with ethanol then you'd need 20 grams to pack the 2m2b equivalent of a liter of vodka. At a dollar per gram of cyclo, that ain't bad at all.

Just running numbers through my head cuz I haven't ever worked with cyclo or read the literature. Am I to understand the "kneading" method literally involves, like, a rolling pin? I mean, is "kneading" code for something technical or do you just complex the substances mechanically?

I can see all of the "mint breath" 2M2B bums now.
They are gonna be the "freshest, weird chemical breath-smelling" bums ever, and totally whacked out.

Someone better nominate me for a Nobel Ig Prize for this ....

100 ul of the following was tested (% v/v in dH2O)
Ethanol: 99%, 75%, 60%, 40%
GBL: >99%
2m2b: >99%

Liquid was placed onto the centre of the tongue, held for 5-10 second then swallowed. Irritation was subjectively quantified from from 0 (no irritation) to 10 (severe irritation). Mouth was rinsed thoroughly with water, and ~250 ml was swallowed between the application of each substance.

GBL was found to be minimally irritating to the oral mucosa (2/10) but significantly irritating to the throat (10/10). Oral irritation clears immediately with water, throat irritation persists a long long time.

Ethanol (99% ) was moderately irritating to the oral mucosa (6-7/10) and significantly irritating to the throat (10/10). Oral irritation clears somewhat with water, throat irritation persists a while, but definitely much shorter than experienced with GBL.

2m2b (100% ) was mildly irritating to the oral mucosa (4/10) and minimally irritating to the throat (2/10). Irritation cleared immediately with water. Dose titration experiments with ethanol revealed the level of irritation caused by 100% 2m2b to be comparable to 40% ethanol, although the "burn" from 40% ethanol still lasts a lot longer than with 2m2b.

Of note, 2m2b left a residual "numbing" or "cooling" sensation in the oral mucosa that could be masking the true degree of chemical irritation.
Wow, this is truly a first-class post!

I love it. And very useful too!

Cheers :).