AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Football 22-23 NFL Discussion Thread

mal3volent

Bluelight Crew
5EGm08n.jpg

Yippee.

The Browns will receive either a fourth- or fifth-round pick in 2024, depending on Mayfield's playing time in Carolina.

The news was first reported by NFL Network.

Mayfield, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 draft, joins a Panthers team that already has Sam Darnold, the No. 3 overall selection in 2018, on its quarterback depth chart. The Panthers also selected Matt Corral in the third round of this year's draft.

The Mayfield trade comes on the heels of Cleveland's blockbuster deal with the Houston Texans that landed quarterback Deshaun Watson. The Browns gave Watson a new five-year deal worth $230 million fully guaranteed, the richest deal in guaranteed money in NFL history by a full $80 million. Cleveland also surrendered three first-round picks in the deal, the first team to do for a single player since the Minnesota Vikingstraded three first-rounders to the Dallas Cowboys for running back Herschel Walker in 1989.

The Watson trade effectively ended the Mayfield era in Cleveland. The Browns selected the former Heisman Trophy winner No. 1 in 2018 and he made his debut in Week 3 that season off the bench and rallied the Browns to their first victory in 635 days. He went on to finish second in the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year voting while breaking the NFL rookie record with 27 touchdowns. That record was later broken in 2020 by the Los Angeles Chargers' Justin Herbert, who finished with 31 touchdown passes.

everybody's leaving you hanging ova here mal :bs:

i love it! you got a steal on him - he was injured all last year so he should be good to go

pretty sure that'll make you guys a contender - you already have a great running back and a couple really good receivers and a pretty good defense

i'd be psyched if i were you :rockon:

im looking forward to see how they turn out for sure

everybody's leaving you hanging ova here mal :bs:

i love it! you got a steal on him - he was injured all last year so he should be good to go

pretty sure that'll make you guys a contender - you already have a great running back and a couple really good receivers and a pretty good defense

i'd be psyched if i were you :rockon:

im looking forward to see how they turn out for sure

well, I'm at least glad that the media may acknowledge our existence this season. They've had no reason to for a while. Baker being here might give us a bigger spotlight.

and let's be real, he can't be any worse than Sam even if he's still injured.

We may even get one of the week 1 national tv spots since we're playing Cleveland. unless baker and/or Watson doesn't start for some reason.

We may even get one of the week 1 national tv spots since we're playing Cleveland. unless baker and/or Watson doesn't start for some reason.

i think Watson's done for a year but we'll see

so i don't think there's any way we're seeing Watson week 1

then again, Carolina guaranteed Darnold $18 million, so knowing us we will probably start Darnold, waste 8 games going 4-4 or worse, then try out Baker.

they're paying Mayfield backup money (under 5 mil), he's only under contract for a year also, and they only gave up a conditional draft pick

also - next season's draft is supposed to be loaded at QB - so they gotta play him to see what they got and if he's the answer, and i think they kinda hit the lottery

idk what the Seahawks were thinking by not giving that a shot - but the Panthers scored huge if you ask me

Darnold's gonna end up a career backup from here out - he's just not that good

they should be good - i would say if they don't win at least 10 games, it would be a disappointment - so idk about shocking the world - don't you think the bar is a little higher for them now?

not really... most people view baker as damaged goods. Coming off injuries... with worse protection... too many interceptions. CMC overused and injury prone. Terrible coach and ownership...

baker raises our profile a bit yes and I'm hoping for the best , I'm always optimistic

The Hall Of Fame game looks funny these days. If this were 1981 it would be who's playing who? Las Vegas?