• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol 2M2B - 2-methyl-2-butanol & Synthetic Alcohols Megathread

2-methyl-2-butanol

Related to ethanol.

Read up :)

Much more potent; allegedly "lacks hangover" (alcohol hasn't caused me a hangover for a long time)

Just had never heard of the term lol. I thought it was some crazy new RC.

Should make for some like afternoon reading :)

I would recommend you not even bothering with 2m2b if you havent already tried it. Honestly no mixed drink can possibly cover up the sharp, pungent camphor taste/smell. If you can even get it down (whether its in a drink or a gelcap), the camphor burps will make sure it doesn't stay down for long. Imagine burping up Vicks Vapor rub. Basically it just ended up being a very expensive drain cleaner.

Much more potent; allegedly "lacks hangover" (alcohol hasn't caused me a hangover for a long time)

Yeah, it doesn't for me either in reasonable amounts, but it's not so much whether I feel a hangover or not, just because I know it's more healthy. Alcohol metabolizes to acetylaldehyde which is toxic. 2-methyl-2-butanol metabolizes to 2-methyl-1,3-butanediol and 2-methyl-2-butanol gluconoride which are much less toxic (plus the fact that you only take like 1/20th the amount). The down side is, the diol metabolite seems to be active on it's own giving a benzo-like feeling the next day - not a hangover though.

I would recommend you not even bothering with 2m2b if you havent already tried it. Honestly no mixed drink can possibly cover up the sharp, pungent camphor taste/smell. If you can even get it down (whether its in a drink or a gelcap), the camphor burps will make sure it doesn't stay down for long. Imagine burping up Vicks Vapor rub. Basically it just ended up being a very expensive drain cleaner.

I can see why that may bother some people. It definitely tastes bad to me (like peppermint and sharpie marker), but not the kind of bitter that would initiate the gag reflex. If you drink it with something like grapefruit juice or cranberry, it covers the solventy taste pretty well. I find it much more palatable than wine or cheap liquor.

Seems risky with something so new (old). Have you or anyone else ever done it?

I just wanted to update this thread because I received the 2m2b. This stuff is definitely impure. It doesn't smell like the stuff I had last time. It smells like acetone and plastic, not really minty like before. Now I know why a lot of you didn't like the taste.

The down side is, the diol metabolite seems to be active on it's own giving a benzo-like feeling the next day - not a hangover though.

and you call it a downside? lol

I just wanted to update this thread because I received the 2m2b. This stuff is definitely impure. It doesn't smell like the stuff I had last time. It smells like acetone and plastic, not really minty like before. Now I know why a lot of you didn't like the taste.

I don't think smell is a reliable indicator of purity. have you tried it yet?

Yes, I have tried it before (and now).

I don't think smell is a reliable indicator of purity. have you tried it yet?

I know, but it just smells worse than the last time I had it, so I was assuming that's because there is some acetone and esters in it. It was much easier to drink what I had before because of the taste. So if you can get 99% definitely get it, otherwise you probably shouldn't bother.

It's very nice. You just have to make sure you don't have anything important to do the next day. I think I should reinforce something I said earlier. The drunk feeling lasts only a few hours, then you get this benzo feeling after that and into next day and it's strong. Felt like I took 3 xanaxs today. Can't really type or think too quickly. I took about 10ml last night and about 8ml the night before. To start off, I'd recommend 3-5ml and go from there. Do not drink it straight. I tried 1ml like that and felt like I had strep throat for a few hours. I also noticed it to be very "redose compulsive" I forgot what you call it. I was only planning on taking 3ml the second night, but I ended up slowly upping it to 10ml over a couple hours.

That reminds me, if I remember correctly, I poured some on a towel and inhaled it like ether (never had ether). wow. It felt like MXE or ketamine for maybe 10 minutes. I was stumbling around running into objects and not even giving a fuck. Probably not something I should look back on haha.

So yeah, like I said, get the 99%. If you can't, then definitely don't use it too often because whatever is in the impurities is nasty. The taste of this impure stuff is almost intolerable, even when diluted. If you're ever able to find cheap 3-methyl-3-pentanol, that's what you should get instead. According to my research it should be more potent and smell fruity. It's just hard to find and pretty expensive. It's essentially the same thing, just has the methyl replaced with an ethyl group on the one side.

Forgot to mention - Do not get 1-ethynylcyclohexanol or methylpentynol or anything else with a triple bond. The unsaturated molecules with the triple bonds are pretty bad for your liver. Completely depletes CYP450 which is an essential enzyme. You can get them, but don't take them very often or with anything else. That's why even though those are more potent, I, and most other experimenters, stick with 2-methyl-2-butanol.

Last edited:
the esters and ketones and shit shouldn't be an issue. stuff like ethyl acetate (artificial vanilla additive), isoamyl acetate (from banana), butyl acetate/butyl butyrate (wrigley's juicy fruit gum) is ok for you in "flavoring" amounts.

one could always try to recrystallise it by putting it in a freezer , pouring off the supernatant (contains impurities), and letting it thaw again.

I read somewhere that the impurities in this would be water since the compound is hygroscopic I believe, but I COULD EASILY BE WRONG since I know nothing of the tertiary alcohols and their synth.

I DO KNOW that there is an easily found "supplier" of this that is based in Texas and they ripped me off for a large and expensive bottle of it that I will never forget -- one half liter of mystery alcohol with camphor oil drizzled in. If I ever go back through that state I am taking a detour and throwing it through their office window. Their website and company name are very quickly found using a Google search, and they have a lengthy rap sheet at various customer review and scamalert websites for selling fraudulent scientific and science supplies. I just hope you're not getting it from there.

I always wanted to try this one.

But for real, nevermind purity, the taste and smell of this make it totally unsuitable for use as a recreational drugs. Even mixing it to mask the taste doesn't work; you'll still taste it down then taste it in burps and want to puke. There's actually something like this with the same effects and usually doesn't taste nearly as bad, especially if you get the right stuff. It's called liquor. I wouldn't recommend it, except to someone who wants to try 2m2b. Stick to liquor, seriously.

Just thought I'd update this thread because after using it for a while, I noticed the side effects get worse. So I've been using it every few days at about 6ml for three months. There were a few times, if I remember correctly, where I used it two days in a row. At the beginning it was just slight sedation the next day. Recently, it got to the point where I started getting nausea and a full stomach feeling. Now I stopped and it's been three days and I still have some nausea. I also noticed I'm not pissing very often, like once per day even if I drink a lot; I just get bloated. I'm not too concerned though because my piss is normal color and I don't have any pain. Fuck this stuff! Don't order this, it's not worth it. I don't know if it was the impurities or the stuff, but I remember last time I had it I didn't have this problem and I used about the same amount.

I think what it really comes down to is anything that makes you intoxicated is probably toxic. The only way is to trick the brain into thinking something's toxic. It's just trading the liver toxicity from normal alcohol for kidney toxicity, probably. That's just my theory.

@Synaps3

You don't think it was because it was 97% and not 99%?

I saw you in another tread, where you mentioned you did both 99 & 97 and it only went wrong whit the 97%

As far as I know this is the first report of someone ever trying 3m3p (3-methyl-3-pentanol). It is a tertiary alcohol similar to 2m2b except that it has one of the methyls replaced with ethyl, making it more fat soluble and potentially more potent. It was also used in the pharmaceutical emylcamate.

2m2b vs 3m3p

2m2b odor: peppermint + camphor
3m3p odor: spearmint + camphor

2m2b taste: burning
3m3p taste: initial buring, then menthol cooling effect

0.5ml taken on empty stomach:
2m2b noramlly peaks pretty quick for me (10-15min). waited 10mins and effects feel like about 1ml of 2m2b. no differences in the feeling of the experience.

T+15mins ingested 1ml:
feels like about 2-2.5ml of 2m2b.

T+25mins ingested 0.5ml.
feels like about 2.5-3ml of 2m2b.

Description:
One minor difference in the experience I noticed is that the mental state seems even more clear than with 2m2b. I know that 2m2b is known to have a clearer headspace than ethanol, but this is even clearer. The next day lethargy is still present, but it doesn't seem to have the metal fog that the 2m2b has. I noticed with 2m2b that the metal state the next day was maybe even a bit worse than when on it. I did not experience that with this chemical. There are possibly two other small differences, but I think I will have to experience this chemical again to be sure. It seems that it may have slightly more narcotic action. The other difference I think is that it may be metabolized slightly slower, so that the initial rush feeling that only lasts about 1-1.5 hours with 2m2b might be somewhat prolonged, but I think I need to try this again to be sure. The palatability of this chemical is no better than 2m2b, just a bit different - more like spearmint than peppermint, and it still has the nasty chemical taste. But alas, this is probably not worth the cost because it is only marginally more potent than 2m2b and the price is usually much higher.

I'll update this thread with another report when I get the time.

I've given this chemical two more trials, and I can say that I think the potency increase was simply due to the fact that my tolerance is basically zero and I was thinking about the times I used 2m2b with tolerance. To be more accurate, I would say this chemical is exactly the same potency as 2m2b. The only notable differences would be the clearer headspace and the slightly different taste, otherwise this chemical is exactly the same.

I was wondering what might happen if one were to try to vape 2m2b in an e-cig device. I know that inhaling 2m2b even in small quantities produces some very rapid psychological effects. Do you think it could be vaped?

I'm thinking vaping it pure would probably be too harsh and it may even ignite, but if it were mixed with some propylene glycol and glycerin like e-juice, I think it might work. Other tertiary alcohols may work as well.

What do you guys think?

I know it has been a long time, but I want to update this thread because I just received a new batch of the 97% 2m2b which I intended to distill before use. This time it smells very clean - no acetone smell.

I have a feeling that it was just a bad batch last time. I think they put 97% on the bottle just as a bare minimum low. I don't think each batch is actually 97% (it says 97+ to be more specific). They are probably just too lazy to update and give the actual percentage each time they receive it.

I have 5fadb and would like to know how to make it so I can smoke it like spice and k2 are. Help?!

Joe your asking a question about 5fadb which is a synthetic cannabinoid, not 2M2B. This is the wrong thread for this question.

Forgive me if this is not allowed.

So I'm going to Thailand and it turns out I'm probably going to go alone. I've never left my home country alone before, plus I have an anxiety disorder, so it will be hard for me.

I want to try to take 2m2b with me. There are multiple reasons I don't want to use benzos and 2m2b is the best drug for my anxiety I found.

Do you think I can get away with traveling with it (through customs and all that)? It isn't illegal in either country afaik. What do you think would be the best way to conceal it? I'm thinking either glasses cleaner (I have glasses) or vape juice bottle. I'm not sure about the legality of traveling with vape juice, but I think it's fine. Does anyone have some other ideas? Maybe I don't even have to hide it cause it's not illegal?

If you have traveled on airplanes quite a bit before, some airlines start to recognize you as a "experienced traveler" or something like that. They check personal belongings way more forgivingly--if at all surpisingly. I know someone who traveled with a stash of pills obtained illegally and didn't have any problems because she was a recognized flyer. I was pretty annoyed with her when I found out long after we landed. However, airlines do tend to be racist at times. I don't want to say that being Caucasian helps you get away with sketchy things but it really does lol. Someone else can answer of it's legality, but I don't think that it's worth the risk of being caught and the dilemmas that come with the risk going wrongly. I've been wondering lately if I brought kratom with me onto an airplane what they'd think of it or do. Nobody really can tell you what will happen but you better conceal it quite well if you totally need it. Some airlines are rigid in their rules and security and others are much more relaxed and don't care as much if you're not a hazard to people around you. If it is indeed not illegal then I don't think it would be problem but I have never heard of this substance.