• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News ACT becomes first Australian jurisdiction to decriminalise illicit drugs in small quantities

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

ACT becomes first Australian jurisdiction to decriminalise illicit drugs in small quantities

The Guardian
20 Oct 2022

Excerpt:
The Australian Capital Territory has become the first Australian jurisdiction to decriminalise illicit drugs in small quantities.

Laws passed in the territory’s parliament on Thursday mean people found with small amounts of nine different types of illicit drugs will not be criminally prosecuted.

Instead they will be cautioned, fined or referred to a drug diversion program.

The substances decriminalised include heroin, cocaine and speed.

The ACT health minister, Rachel Stephen-Smith, said focusing on harm-minimisation rather than punishing drug users was the way forward.

Yeah Canberra and the ACT has been abit more lenient then other states and first to make pot personal use legal and now this. I used to live there and know a few people who might breath a siy of releaf when they have a bag or whatever personal stash on them/driving also. Incase for some stupid random reason your car gets shaked down. I do agree that drug education and counseling psychology ect is the way to go.

If life spirals do a in patient treatment/rehab. Had a lot of laughs and have helped me some and also some good people I've meet along my rehab journeys lolCanberra ACTthis is very interesting.

That’s great, another jurisdiction taking a step in the right direction. I’m curious to hear what people think as to what country or state/jurisdiction will be the first to actually enact legalization and regulation of drugs beyond cannabis and psilocybin? And what do you think that timeline looks like?

Things are moving so much faster now than they did for decades(at least in certain places), but I think legalization/regulation will receive much more pushback than decriminalization, which I think makes even very progressive politicians cringe at the thought of being the one trying to introduce such legislation.

If the government can legalize abortion and voluntary euthanasia then they can just as easily do this too. It's a shame that it has taken this damned long for governments to wake up to themselves and stop infantilizing adult human beings.

Government: You're still gonna suffer like a dog if you need legal pharma opioids...but by all means you can buy fentanyl from the drug gangs

If the government can legalize abortion and voluntary euthanasia then they can just as easily do this too. It's a shame that it has taken this damned long for governments to wake up to themselves and stop infantilizing adult human beings.
Thats due to the war on drugs. I live in a country where abortion is illegal…its a matter of how things are perceived by the society in the country your in, the war on drugs is still very real.

Thats due to the war on drugs. I live in a country where abortion is illegal…its a matter of how things are perceived by the society in the country your in, the war on drugs is still very real.
Copenhagen, Denmark? Denmark is pretty permissive of abortion...is this where you are living now?