• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Addiction treatment patients scramble after 14 care centers close down amid fraud case

RUC4

Bluelighter
Addiction treatment patients scramble after 14 care centers close down amid fraud case

by JODI REED
NBC 10 NEWS
3 March 2023

Exerpts:
On Thursday, U.S. Attorney Zachary Cunha announced charges against the CEO of Recovery Connection Centers of America, Michael Brier.
Cunha accuses Brier of defrauding health insurers out of millions of dollars while depriving patients of drug
treatment services.
The doors at the Recovery Connection Center's 14 locations in Rhode Island and Massachusetts closed for good on Friday, forcing patients that seek suboxone treatment and other addiction recovery services to go elsewhere.

I'm surprised this isn't more common. It's all a scam.

My recent rehab charged my insurance like $2000 for a simple drug test... a dip stick urine test that probably retails for $15. :rolleyes:
I agree. This is a huge problem. And not just for rehabs. My latest hospital bill was ridiculous. I looked at it itemized and they charged me like $200 for every dose of morphine. I was there for 5 weeks. It was 40 something bucks for my Benadryl they were giving me. It’s really absurd.

I’ve especially heard of this fraudulent rehab shit happening in southeast Florida. I think Deerfield Beach is the center of it. But I’m sure it happens everywhere. A huge overhaul needs to be done to our healthcare/insurance industry.

The entire thing is a scam.

Given that methadone costs $526.60/Kg, explain how it costs a member of the public upwards of $210/week to receive treatment with methadone?

An entire GRAM of methadone only costs 52¢.

https://www.pharmacompass.com/price/buprenorphine so someone who gets 300mg/day is only buying $1 of the stuff per week!

Now I admit buprenorphine costs more:

But if someone is getting 16mg/day then it's still only using $1/week of the stuff!!!

The drugs used in the treatment of opioid dependence are virtually FREE.

Long ago I considered using AH-7921 to treat opioid dependence. It's more potent than methadone but it only lasts for about 12 hours (in preventing withdrawal). So I even worked out unmanned dispensing. Dependent addicts would be given a secure card (like a credit card) and they feed the machine $1 and it dispenses the appropriate dose (10-80mg of AH-7921).

They can put credit onto the card or pay cash - it could even allow people a very limited amount of credit (say $5). That way people could pay much less and only for the drug they actually take.

I am suspicious that drug treatment centres have a vested interest in their being millions of people dependent on opioids. If the problem were ever solved, that would be them out of business.

Well at least Mr. Krinkle gets it....

I don't know what to say - would people LIKE a card that will let them stop being sick for $1 a pop?

Obviously a drugs service would need to know how to set your limit but an ATM like dispenser along with the cost would mean NOBODY would have to get sick.

I just found AH-921 totally stopped withdrawal but has no euphoric effects whatsoever... so we didn't sell it. We found U-47700 and THAT is euphoric so we sold it. But I quit because the boss sold it as powder whereas I wanted pills. When he told me (and my wife) that he had sent some to an 'ex heroin addict' who ODed on it he was totally unmoved. Me; I had a breakdown.

The WHOLE point was to make it all safe. So I quit, Hardly virtue signalling. I just never though my stuff would hurt anyone. Evidently it didn't bother him. That showed me we did not think the same.