• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Amygdalin

Gormur

Bluelighter
Just wondering if there's any evidence that the amygdalin found in apricot kernels and bitter almonds causes death. I guess it's an odd question but a fair one. I've done my research and haven't found any reliable NIH articles. Just lots of fear and confusing reports that don't tell me anything about amygdalin. Cheers. Edit: I know its conversion into hydrogen cyanide can kill. I'm asking for evidence that amygdalin itself can indirectly kill etc

I guess there aren't any confirmed deaths because there's no autopsy reports. At least none online. I don't normally assume things. But it seems like everything I've read is inconclusive scaremongering that has more to do with a reaction to the laetrile movement than to actual food. Edit: Maybe there's a better forum for this question

Last edited:
Update (and warning: don't try this): I've been exposing myself to amygdalin through bitter apricot kernels. After finishing several (around 40 or 50) this morning I felt kind of gross. Nothing noticeably damaging happened. Hope this helps. I really don't want to repeat what I did earlier. The taste is still with me

It's a quack medicine promoted by fraudsters and con artists as a health cure and as vitamin B¹⁷, it's neither.
It breaks down in to cyanide and is not at all health promoting at all.

Can it cause death? Probably if you take enough but it's definitely toxic cause of it being metabolised in to cyanide.

Cyanide poisoning can cause some nasty neuropathies at sub-lethal doses i would not make a habit of consuming cyanide releasing compounds (endemic where cassava consumption is big; it also contains cyanogenic glycosides with a similar mechanism of hydrolysis to amygdalin).

Honestly I'd megadose some b12 if i were you to help your body clear what cyanide you have in it (you probably haven't ingested enough to need thiosulfate). If you consume methylene blue id also stack that too).

I will say the human body can handle some small amounts of cyanide due to the rhodenase enzyme that mops up cyanide made during normal metabolism. Exceeding its capacity is where issues occur.

Last edited:
I figured out a way to just bite off bits and chew a bit before downing these. I don't know how bad it is. I think I will tread lightly. Metabolic acidosis doesn't sound fun. Cheers for all the replies