• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Concentrates Analysis of Aged Concentrates

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
I’m curious if anyone here has ever seen an analysis of concentrates both at the time of production and then aged, 6mos, 12mos, whatever… At room temperature.

As we know it’s best to store concentrates in the fridge. I’m going to assume the biggest changes in concentrate profile will be a lowering of the terpenes present with their lower BP.

@Didgital if I remember right you work in this industry? Any idea?

-GC

I don't know much on this, but I do know that concentrates/extracts is a wide category and so is room temp. If your room is 75 and 80% humidity vs 69 and 30% humidity, surpisingly big difference on how cannabinoids react long term.

BHO and stuff like that tends to crystallize pretty quickly (THCA), whereas rosin seems to take much longer.

I don't know much on this, but I do know that concentrates/extracts is a wide category and so is room temp. If your room is 75 and 80% humidity vs 69 and 30% humidity, surpisingly big difference on how cannabinoids react long term.

BHO and stuff like that tends to crystallize pretty quickly (THCA), whereas rosin seems to take much longer.

I understand this. That’s why this is more of a curiosity then a search for cold hard facts. Every concentrate will vary based on the strain used, growing conditions, extraction method, etc.. But I’m sure with enough analysis one could start to see some patterns. Increased CBN content, more volatile terps disappear, etc..

Also RT in chemistry is typically 25C (77F) which I suppose is a bit warm for average room temperature but figured I’d mention it regardless. I don’t think a change of 5F would mean much but I’m willing to bet humidity plays a big role. As does elevation (ever drive through the mountains with concentrates? fucks em up.)

-GC

I personally haven't seen a formal analysis but based on experience there is definitely loss of terps along with decarboxylation over time. Shatters will start to get stickier/gooey due to the increase in THC over THCA. I was always sad when my nice hard snap shatters turned to semi goop 😢