Published Anonymous psychedelics user survey (University of Bergen)

entheogenresearche

Greenlighter
This is a research project run from the Department of Sociology at the University of Bergen. In the survey, you will be asked about your usage pattern and motivations for use for one psychedelic drug, as well as for cannabis. You will also be asked to characterize your most meaningful psychedelic experience, a typical experience, and your worst experience (maybe a bad trip, or maybe just your least interesting trip). Finally, you are asked to judge the long-term consequences of your use of this psychedelic. The link to the survey is: https://www.survey-xact.dk/LinkCollector?key=YAFE5D3PSN9K

The survey is completely anonymous: it does not ask for any identifying information and does not store your IP address or any other Internet data. The survey provider, SurveyXact, has an agreement with the university that it will conform to the strict new GDPR privacy regulation that you have probably heard about. If you are still in doubt about your privacy, the survey has been tested to work with the Tor browser at the “standard” and “safer” levels, but not at the “safest” level, which disables forms. In order to participate, you must be at least 18 years old, have a good understanding of English, and have experience with one commonly used psychedelic. Please only answer the survey once. Previous respondents have reported using about 15-25 minutes on the survey.

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited:
It took me closer to 25 minutes, but I wanted my answers to be as detailed as possible, especially my extremely therapeutic allylescaline experience...

Thanks for your input! Allylescaline is not mentioned on the list of psychedelics in the survey, however, so I wonder what you characterized it as?

Thanks for your input! Allylescaline is not mentioned on the list of psychedelics in the survey, however, so I wonder what you characterized it as?

I classified it as a 2c-x, but it was a tough decision because allylescaline is closer to a 2c in terms of subjective effects but is structurally more similar to mescaline. Hope I don't skew your results as a result.

Excellent survey, but might I humbly recommend a portion of the survey in which one can explain their best and worse experiences in their own words in lieu of limiting multiple choice questions? I know its probably too late to add it to this survey, but is worth consideration for future endeavors. I think it could help greatly, especially when ones most psychologically significant psychedelic wasn't in the list.

Great work!!

I classified it as a 2c-x, but it was a tough decision because allylescaline is closer to a 2c in terms of subjective effects but is structurally more similar to mescaline. Hope I don't skew your results as a result.

That's fine - if you feel it belongs there that's alright. I did consider including an "other" option, but was unsure if it would have any analytical value and so left it out.

Excellent survey, but might I humbly recommend a portion of the survey in which one can explain their best and worse experiences in their own words in lieu of limiting multiple choice questions? I know its probably too late to add it to this survey, but is worth consideration for future endeavors. I think it could help greatly, especially when ones most psychologically significant psychedelic wasn't in the list.

Great work!!

Thank you :) For some reason I opted out from including an open text field, and I don't even remember why. Other people have requested it too. As you say, it's too late now, but I will keep it in mind for the future.

Bergen, Norway indeed!
Selv takk :)

Thanks for the reply.

When does this survey close as I want to do it for you but for reasons I cannot go into I am not able to start it today.
I have spent a lot of time in Norway very close to Bergen & my ex is now working at the same University this is based at (please don't tell anyone that though as she may loose her job & someone tell the Barnevernet, she is 100% clean now though & doesn't even shot "Skol" as she walks out of Rema 1000)

I will say "Jeg elsker deg Norge" & also elsker Fløyen, May 17th celebrations in Bergen with plenty of Kransekake is a great memory, a less fond memory is eating Lutefisk & Brunos.

Have I got till Monday of next week to be able to do your survey?

Takk.

The survey is staying open for a good while longer than tomorrow :)

Agree with you that kransekake is preferable to lutefisk and brunost. And my lips are sealed about your ex.

Bare hyggelig.

Survey is now closed. Thanks to everybody who participated :)

Reports and analyses will be made available when ready.

This is excellent to see, Petter! Great that Bluelight could contribute to this important study.

If you are interested in writing a short accessible summary of the article, we'd love to feature it on our front page.

Here you go:

Cannabis as entheogen: survey and interview data on the spiritual use of cannabis

This article uses qualitative interviews and quantitative survey data to explore spiritually motivated use of cannabis. Of 265 survey participants who reported their motivations for cannabis use, 25% indicated a spiritual motivation (the corresponding figure for psychedelics was 69% ). These spiritual cannabis users reported experiences with cannabis that, at least in some ways, tended to resemble experiences with psychedelics. In interviews, spiritually motivated cannabis users often emphasized that overuse would diminish the impact of the cannabis experience, which supports previous research that has identified a build-up of tolerance to the effects of cannabis. Some interviewees acknowledged that frequent use had dulled the edges of their experiences. In the survey data, there was no significant difference in usage pattern between spiritual and non-spiritual users, which may indicate that spiritual cannabis users commonly prioritize more frequent cannabis experiences over more intense experiences. The article concludes that spiritually motivated cannabis use appears to be fairly widespread, and that there should be more research into these practices.

Hi again

A new article based on this study is now available in the Journal of Psychedelic Drugs. It is called The Psychedelic Personality: Personality Structure and Associations in a Sample of Psychedelics Users, and is available at URL

Unfortunately, the article is not open access, but I have been told that 50 free copies are available at this link: https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KCSAC99R7AVKFVW7WBJW/full?target=10.1080/02791072.2020.1842569

If you want to read the full article and the above link does not work, you will have to contact me at ResearchGate (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Petter_Johnstad), where I can share copies on an individual basis.

Thank you for updating BL, Look forward to reading the new article and will contact you on RG to allow free copies for others.

Hi again

A third article based on the survey is now available at:

This article analyzes competing conceptualizations of spirituality among the respondents to the study. The spiritual aspect of entheogen use has often been linked to mystical experiences, where one feels (for instance) that one's ordinary sense of self has been lost and one is united with something transcendental. In this study, however, there were indications that entheogen users also regard "more ordinary" entheogenic experiences involving insight, positive feelings and increased relatedness as spiritual. If true, this means that entheogenic spirituality should not be equated with mystical experience, but understood in a broader sense as a practice for increasing one's understanding and improving one's life.

The article is not open access, so you either need library access or you could ask me for a personal copy over at Research Gate (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Petter_Johnstad).