• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Antabuse

dragonflygoddess86

Greenlighter
I just got off Antabuse. My main reason for taking it was to get over the urge to drink and binge. I took my last dose 2 days ago and have a planned intox for the date of July 10th. Will the Antabuse be out of my system by then? I'd love to hear other experiences from others who have used this drug to come off alcohol! TIA

Hi @dragonflygoddess86 and welcome to Bluelight :)
Yes, I have been taking Antabuse on and off for 6 years.
Just so I'm clear, you're planning to binge-drink on July 10th? If so, yes the antabuse will be out of your system by then. It takes about 7-10 days to fully clear from your system. If it's the first time you drink since being on it, I've found that even after it's cleared your system and you drink, you may still get some of the effects of the antabuse, i.e. red cheeks, a bit of a yucky feeling in your throat, headache. Also remember that your tolerance will be down from when you last drank, so please don't go straight back to drinking your usual amount because you'll get absolutely wasted really quickly.
May I ask why you're planning to drink? You were obviously prescribed the antabuse because drinking is a big problem for you....? I'm not judging AT ALL because I've been a hardcore alcoholic for over 15 years (currently sober), and I've done pretty much every shitty thing you could think of because of alcohol. But if drinking is a problem for you, don't expect it to suddenly not be a problem for you just cos you've had a bit of a break. In my experience it just gets worse and worse each time.

I just got off Antabuse. My main reason for taking it was to get over the urge to drink and binge. I took my last dose 2 days ago and have a planned intox for the date of July 10th. Will the Antabuse be out of my system by then? I'd love to hear other experiences from others who have used this drug to come off alcohol! TIA

I can talk about Antabus with you. That is what it is called here. ANT ABUSE sounds sadistic.

Let's start with this: I am an alcoholic. I have had 2 longer period of times of not drinking, just taking antabus. Other was 6 months, other was 8 months. I actually accomplished some things which i wanted to accomplish during those times. Then there has been shorter periods of time of not drinking, just taking antabus. Then i have quit the medication and got shitfaced... Once i drank (beer) after 3 days of not taking the antabus. It was slightly unpleasant, but i kept drinking anyway.

If you are planning to stay that long without the antabus, i think it will be completely gone from your system. I wish you strength in your battle with this shit. Alcoholism. Have a good summer!

@dragonflygoddess86 I have taken it on and off for years. Longest period was 3 or so months. as mentioned above it should be out of your system.

one thing to think about if you’ve been taking it for a while and are doing really well, and if you plan on getting back on it after your binge it might not be that easy.

for me at least it’s easier to keep the ball rolling than to come off and drink for one occasion. “One occasion” for me has a tendency to lead into several weeks or months and hating myself and not being able to stop and get back on the medication.

I’m not saying this will happen to you or if you are evenintending on abstaining again after the 10th of July.

just sharing my personal experience. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I 100% agree with @Blankenstein , it can be difficult to start back on it after a break. Maybe tell someone in your personal life so that they know what you're intending to do, and that will help you have some accountability to go back on Antabuse after your binge.