• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Other Any chess players here?

Yes, I play on LiChess if you ever want to get down toss me a message!
can you PM me your handle?

do you ever just use chess.com ? I do for simple stuff

I used to play on ICC but that place went to crap the last few decades

can you PM me your handle?

do you ever just use chess.com ? I do for simple stuff

I used to play on ICC but that place went to crap the last few decades
You have my phone number my dude, just text me and we'll set up a game. I am not great though. Out of practice.

Yep still in his prime, 2850 rated still, by far the best! Magnus is the better player but if Nepo is on form anything can happen.

A youngster, Alireza Firouzja is almost 2800 now, biggest talent since... well, Magnus :) exciting times in chess.

Following the match is often pretty boring though, it's just 1 classical game a day and not all that much happens. But in the context of chess history and impact it's always a major event. I do hope Magnus wins, it will make sense if we look back on it in 20 years and will be the last WC before Firouzja inevitably challenges him.

Great game today, Magnus won after 8 hours. Top tier entertainment imo, just chilling all day with a couple top grandmasters commenting on some extremely complicated game.

👍

@Buzz Lightbeer wow very exciting game 6 just watched

you don't see many QvRR games played out til the end during the world championships
Computer said all 0.00 (well, at least the supercomputer Sesse) during almost the whole game lol, except for where Magnus & Nepo "missed" wins when low on time. In the coverage I watched (Kramnik & Svidler) they explained that black was in big trouble sometime after white stabilized with RR vs Q, they were showing all kinds of crazy lines, and were very optimistic for white in general. Magnus just lives for all these kinds of endgames, and in the last endgame he would've pressed for another hour if possible.

Great game today, Magnus won after 8 hours. Top tier entertainment imo, just chilling all day with a couple top grandmasters commenting on some extremely complicated game.

👍
Damn you Buzz spoiler alert next time. I worked all day and was going to check this out tonight.. still will but let’s use nsfw tags.

I think Nepo screwed up a bit and let Magnus equalize in game 7, but still in the opening not quite middlegame yet

edit: ooh nice game is getting spicy, might not be boring

Last edited:
well....

I don't see Nepo coming back from 3 losses in a row... :/

even if there is 10 more matches magnus can just draw every game and easily win

(about the world championship)

Odd thing was that I literally hadn’t played chess in years; and then back in May, 2018 I started getting interested in it when I was hospitalized for stabilization on an anti depressant (a polite way of saying that I was in the psych ward).

My first roommate was an older guy, pleasant enough. Second guy, who I had as a roomie for 7 days was a meth user, but previous provincial champion. He was into speed chess. Never played him b/c he was all about speed chess. So I let him borrow my iPad I’d brought with me to the hospital and he’d do nothing but play chess on it until it needed a recharge.

On occasion this dude would be given a day pass, and when he came back, brought all kinds of chess literature and books. It triggered a dormant memory/desire and I’ve been nosing anout the chess world for 3 years now.

Was blown away by how far computer chess had come since I stopped years before. In university my time was spent studying or partying. No time to actually try to become good (satisfied with my own play). Now, on medical retirement I’ve got the time.

There are so many games, programs and machines that it is bewildering. The DGT Pi chess computer I’ve ordered has multiple engines and is upgradeable. I’ve now learnt about Li-chess, chessbase and chess.com. I’d previously avoided those places b/c I thought they were only for head to head competition, amd I simply did not want to embarrass myself. Now I find that you can select computer opponents, various programs and ELO levels.

Tom

Odd thing was that I literally hadn’t played chess in years; and then back in May, 2018 I started getting interested in it when I was hospitalized for stabilization on an anti depressant (a polite way of saying that I was in the psych ward).

My first roommate was an older guy, pleasant enough. Second guy, who I had as a roomie for 7 days was a meth user, but previous provincial champion. He was into speed chess. Never played him b/c he was all about speed chess. So I let him borrow my iPad I’d brought with me to the hospital and he’d do nothing but play chess on it until it needed a recharge.

On occasion this dude would be given a day pass, and when he came back, brought all kinds of chess literature and books. It triggered a dormant memory/desire and I’ve been nosing anout the chess world for 3 years now.

Was blown away by how far computer chess had come since I stopped years before. In university my time was spent studying or partying. No time to actually try to become good (satisfied with my own play). Now, on medical retirement I’ve got the time.

There are so many games, programs and machines that it is bewildering. The DGT Pi chess computer I’ve ordered has multiple engines and is upgradeable. I’ve now learnt about Li-chess, chessbase and chess.com. I’d previously avoided those places b/c I thought they were only for head to head competition, amd I simply did not want to embarrass myself. Now I find that you can select computer opponents, various programs and ELO levels.

Tom
Never worry about the head to head competition, you end up playing against people of the same skill level.
If you find joy in just playing against others you'll improve rapidly. My friend went from nothing to 1800 by just playing rapid on Lichess in a year. It's a much better and more fun teacher than playing against any computer.

Really recommend making a lichess account, skip the books and programs, just make puzzels and play rapid games on lichess :) some YT videos can be helpful (I hear this helps people: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl9uuRYQ-6MCBnhtCk_bTZsD8GxeWP6BV)

Reached 2000 in lichess blitz for the first time ever 👍
Thanks @Thomas Davie for the motivation to start playing again, didn't know what I was missing. Hadn't really played for maybe 2 years apart from some games here and there.

There must be some rating inflation going on, terrible games but I was on a roll. It could also be that I'm playing better since I take ADHD medication now.

@Buzz Lightbeer

Yes, I did make an account on Lichess and have been playing games of Chess960 against the AI bots. I hope to be able to play comfortably against say a 1200 ELO human. And if that is too lofty, I shall move lower.

And for offline play I’ve got Deep Hiarcs/Mac and some chess computers arriving. Will posts pics when everything is setup. I am excited to be getting back into Chess b/c I took very early medical retirement and am getting irritated by playing Civ 6 almost nonstop since it came out.

Tom

On Lichess I won my first game against a bot (Chess960, Stockfish Level 1). Only made 1 blunder 👍

Last edited: