• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Any new, interesting psychedelic scaffolds been developed?

HOOH

Bluelighter
We all know and love the 3 classics: tryptamines, phenethylamines, and lysergamides. But what more is there, still awaiting for us, in the psychedelic realm? In the Episode "Ultra-LSD", Hamilton Morris talked about a guy (Bryan Roth I believe?) who was working with computer programs who could theoretically find hundreds of thousands of novel scaffolds (core structures) for 5-HT2A agonists. But where are they? Where are all of the new, interesting, exciting psychedelic classes (not just RCs which take a known drug and change it a little) that should emerge from this psychedelic wave we are seeing. All of the private psychedelic-drug companies seem to be doing is comparing bioavailability of psilocin via various route, looking at pro-drugs, etc, etc? Even NBOMes are approaching their 20th anniversary.

images

TCB-2, a psychedelic with a benzocyclobutene skeleton, active at sub-milligram doses apparently.

The beta carboline scaffold is probably going to yield some psychedelic compounds, but IDK if anyone will ever taste the compounds in question or if they will be interesting enough to be distributed once somebody does. There’s a lot of tasting and screening to do if somebody was interested in exploring a whole new area.

Psychadelic lovers know that 5HT2A and 5HT2C are the key thing that we want to see stimulated, even if 2A is the main target and 2B is rumored to be involved in tactile distortion. For example, at a concentration of ~3nM, LSD occupies half of 5HT2A receptors, at a concentration of ~10nM, LSD occupies half of 5HT2C receptors, and at a concentration of ~30nM LSD occupies half of 5HT2B receptors. Plasma concentrations of LSD seem hard to come by but I've seen a range between 1 and 10nM in lots of different papers, this meaning that LSD tends to occupy 2A and 2C more than 2B. This is important because 5HT2B receptors are involved in cardiovascular signaling.

That said, DOB's highest binding affinity is for 5HT2B, and DOI prefers 2C to 2A, so this isn't everything. The NBOMe compounds highly favor 2A and 2C, but we all know that they can still be highly dangerous. Harmine binds to 5HT2A with a reported Ki of ~150nM, but I know I’ve never really experienced psychoactive effects from it. Then you get stuff like 3,4,5-TMA which have crap binding affinities for 5HT2A but are still active. There's a reason that the only way to know is by tasting tiny amounts and increasing slowly over time.

Earlier this year, a paper came out in ACS where multiple new beta-carboline compounds were screened for binding and downstream activation of 5HT2A, 2B, and 2C receptors. Out of the linked paper, many potential serotonin receptor agonists emerged. The authors identified one in particular (compound 106) for followup; a beta-carboline with a chlorine at what would be the 5 position on the tryptamine and a 2,4,5 mexthoxybenzene hanging off the carbon connecting the terminal amine to the indole stimulates 5HT receptors in calcium flux assays: EC50s of 1.7, 0.58, and 0.50 nM at 5HT2A, 5HT2B, and 5HT2C. Ki values are in the 100-25 nM range for 2A and 2C, 3nM for 2B. My guess would be that it binds pretty well (Ki values for 2A and 2C are in the psilocyin range), but does a good job turning on the receptor once there. Looking deeper into it, this even appears to interact with the tryptophan toggle that is key for 5HT2A activation, similar to LSD and the NBOMe series. Promising stuff.

The reason that this is interesting is that the synthesis is relatively straightforward through the Pictet Spengler reaction: hold the tryptamine core you are interested in at 70-100C with whatever aldehyde you want to see next to the terminal amine (in either protic or aprotic solvent, doesn't appear to matter much) and you have your beta-carboline product. The supplementary data for the Orr paper gives synthesis details for around 100 compounds if anyone would like to follow up, I don't know if any human tasted any of these, they haven’t even been through head twitch tests.

There were some other products from the Orr paper that stick out - compounds 17, 22, 87, 91, 93, 94, and 103 also had EC50 values below 100nM for calcium flux activation. All appear to have similar affinity for 2A and 2C. There are others that appear effective at concentrations that could plausibly be reached in plasma, but these stick out. Compound 65 is interesting for activating 2A at reasonable concentrations and 2C at much higher concentrations while having high yield in microwave synthesis setups. Compound 79 appears high yield and highly selective for 2A, but has an EC50 in the 400nM range. (no Ki given, I don't think it was submitted to the Psychoactive Drug Screening Program)

Food for thought - a decent number of these are going to end up being psychoactive if they can get to the brain, but I have no clue as to the off-target effects, they could inhibit all sorts of enzymes for all we know. As far as metabolism goes, they are likely to be semi-difficult for our enzyme systems to inactivate. Other beta-carbolines that we have information on people consuming have long-ish half-lives. Harmine/Harmaline/Tetrahydroharmine I think are all around 12-18 hours, I know tadalafil is similar. For those showing particularly low EC50 values, effective dosages may be in the low microgram range or in the 100mg range depending on what exactly happens in the space between your tongue (or blood I guess if someone were to do IV) and your synapses.

Last edited:
sadly scihub doesnt provide that paper.
Meghan J. Orr, Andrew B. Cao, Charles Tiancheng Wang, Arsen Gaisin, Adam Csakai, Alec P. Friswold, Herbert Y. Meltzer, John D. McCorvy, and Karl A. Scheidt
Discovery of Highly Potent Serotonin 5-HT2 Receptor Agonists Inspired by Heteroyohimbine Natural Products
ACS Med. Chem. Lett., 2022, 13(4), 648–657.
Publication Date: March 18, 2022
DOI: 10.1021/acsmedchemlett.1c00694
https://docdro.id/RpMUt2m (as found on Reddit)
Supporting Information: free
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/acsmedchemlett.1c00694/suppl_file/ml1c00694_si_001.pdf
Abstract
The serotonin 5-HT2 receptors are important pharmaceutical targets involved in signaling pathways underlying various neurological, psychiatric, and cardiac functions and dysfunctions. As such, numerous ligands for the investigation of these receptors’ activity and downstream effects have been developed synthetically or discovered in nature. For example, the heteroyohimbine natural product alstonine exhibits antispychotic activity mediated by 5-HT2A/2C agonism. In this work, we identified a heteroyohimbine metabolite containing a serotonin pharmacophore and truncated the scaffold, leading to the discovery of potent agonist activity of substituted tetrahydro-β-carbolines across the 5-HT2 receptor family. Extensive SAR development resulted in compound 106 with EC50 values of 1.7, 0.58, and 0.50 nM at 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, and 5-HT2C, respectively. Docking studies suggest a π-stacking interaction between the tetrahydro-β-carboline core and conserved residue Trp6.48 as the structural basis for this activity. This work lays a foundation for future investigation of these compounds in neurological and psychiatric disorders.

Reactions: izo
how about you make a CH2 spacer between the trimethoxyphenyl and the carboline structure?

plain benzyl instead of trimethoxyphenyl was tested in this paper...

how about you make a CH2 spacer between the trimethoxyphenyl and the carboline structure?
Years ago, I tried to synthesize (2,5-dimethoxy-4-X-phenyl)acetaldehydes from 2,5-dimethoxy-4-X-benzaldehydes via styrene oxides. I had some success with X=Cl, but X=Me gave a complex mixture of decomposition products. Apparently, arylacetaldehydes with electron-donating substituents are very unstable in acidic medium. I guess, the required (2,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)acetaldehyde is among the least stable ones. Perhaps one should look for another method to obtain the carbolines with R = substituted benzyl. I have no idea as to their biological activity.

Structure-based discovery of nonhallucinogenic psychedelic analogs

This group modified a bunch of anti-psychotic scaffolds removing bulk from them with the hypothesis that it would turn antagonists into agonists. Most of the compounds were non-psychadelic, but there was one scaffold that produced head twitch effects in rodents.

Called IHCH 7113
Man, non-hallucinogenic psychedelics? (IHCH-7079 and IHCH-7086) Sounds like they need some substituents added back! Very cool stuff, would be interesting if people managed to taste some of 7113. Its stuff like this that really makes me sad that there are probably hundreds of psychedelics that are "undiscovered" in the sense that they are in chemical libraries maintained by large pharmaceutical companies but died on the vine never to be heard of by the world at large when they realized those compounds were 5HT2A agonists.

Man, non-hallucinogenic psychedelics? (IHCH-7079 and IHCH-7086) Sounds like they need some substituents added back! Very cool stuff, would be interesting if people managed to taste some of 7113. Its stuff like this that really makes me sad that there are probably hundreds of psychedelics that are "undiscovered" in the sense that they are in chemical libraries maintained by large pharmaceutical companies but died on the vine never to be heard of by the world at large when they realized those compounds were 5HT2A agonists.
Likely the non-psychadelic compounds have too much bulk for the right type of gpcr coupling. The antipsychotics basically tacked on bulk to pharmacophores which prevents the conformational change of receptor activation.

Honestly this work really impressed me with the vision. It is commonly stated that antagonists are often bigger than agonists as they jam up the receptor, and to take that rule of thumb and actually reverse it to get agonists is just so fucking clever. Sheng Wang is a protege of Bryan Roth's group so it's unsurprising (especially that this work has a lot of crystal structures), but the approach in this paper is both thourough (most papers stop at a crystal structure; this one just uses them to get to their main goal, and then validates in animals), and wickedly inventive.

One thing about the whole non-psychoactive psychadelics goal, is to remember the funding sources kind of limit what gets published. This was funded by a handful of grants from the Chinese government, and it is no stretch to say that they aren't very psychadelic of characters.

I saw something recently about Bryan Roth and Hamilton Morris making a startup looking for new psychadelic scaffolds. They are mainly using in-silico approaches to the compound desigb, which I often correlate with silicon valley esque hype and over promising, but if it works even a little (and Bryan Roth is probably the premier 5HT2A researcher these days), there could be quite a few new scaffolds coming out. However they would likely be hidden by parents and heavily commercialized.

i dont think that there are any psychedelic chemicals matching those derived from tryptophan or phenylalanine in depth and profoundness.

i dont think that there are any psychedelic chemicals matching those derived from tryptophan or phenylalanine in depth and profoundness.
Why not? Also aren't there rather non-profound members of both classes? Seems like quite a generalization.

Why not? Also aren't there rather non-profound members of both classes? Seems like quite a generalization.

yea, might be a generalization but i think it has something to do with how the brain works. i remember shulgins idea in one of his books that there might be a third psychedelic class derived from histidine. a dead end i think.

One thing about the whole non-psychoactive psychadelics goal, is to remember the funding sources kind of limit what gets published. This was funded by a handful of grants from the Chinese government, and it is no stretch to say that they aren't very psychadelic of characters.

I saw something recently about Bryan Roth and Hamilton Morris making a startup looking for new psychadelic scaffolds. They are mainly using in-silico approaches to the compound desigb, which I often correlate with silicon valley esque hype and over promising, but if it works even a little (and Bryan Roth is probably the premier 5HT2A researcher these days), there could be quite a few new scaffolds coming out. However they would likely be hidden by parents and heavily commercialized.
Oh, I get why this work is waiting for some prominent risk-takers, I was more just saying that it is sad that things are this way. Like you say, even the people doing the most to move the field forward are planning on keeping it as secretive as possible for monetary reasons. Morris has already bragged on twitter about their in silico stuff yielding many compounds, but they will be kept a trade secret until clinical trials require disclosure. Many other companies are doing the same. It will be some exciting times in the coming years.

I am curious about the crystal structures, I wonder if 7113 interacts with the tryptophan toggle.

The whole non-hallucinogenic psych thing also reminds me of what the Olsen lab is doing in Davis: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b01404

Last edited:
yea, might be a generalization but i think it has something to do with how the brain works. i remember shulgins idea in one of his books that there might be a third psychedelic class derived from histidine. a dead end i think.
I guess I tend to resist arguments that nature is complete or better than non-nature. We have compounds formed from amino acids because of the similarity to neurotransmitters, but plenty of good drugs have no similarity to the endogenous ligands which bind the same receptors (ie morphinan opiates, anti-histamines, and GABA PAMs.) Hell arylcyclohexylamines have activity (NMDA antagonism) for which there isn't a known endogenous analog.

Chemical space is big, and these un-natural compounds may have promiscuity between novel receptors which gives them completely novel and wonderful properties.

Oh, I get why this work is waiting for some prominent risk-takers, I was more just saying that it is sad that things are this way. Like you say, even the people doing the most to move the field forward are planning on keeping it as secretive as possible for monetary reasons. Morris has already bragged on twitter about their in silico stuff yielding many compounds, but they will be kept a trade secret until clinical trials require disclosure. Many other companies are doing the same. It will be some exciting times in the coming years.

I am curious about the crystal structures, I wonder if 7113 interacts with the tryptophan toggle.

The whole non-hallucinogenic psych thing also reminds me of what the Olsen lab is doing in Davis: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b01404
I have to read this one, I remember seeing the og psychoplastogen paper a while ago and not following it up. This field is really only a hobby for me.